• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maybeadinosaur
    232 I6
    • Jul 29, 2015

Puddle in the floorboard!

...not the usual suspect though! This puddle is only in the rear passenger floorboard. I had the usual roof rack leak a few years ago and replaced most of the gasket/plugs. I no longer see any dripping headliner issues so I'm 99% certain the rain water isn't getting in from there.

The water does reach over to the door, right where the carpet meets the metal flashing so I suspect water is running down the area between the door and the body, pouring into the original weather stripping (it has some holes in some places), which is acting like a funnel or straw.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Is there a chance that the rain water is getting past my roof rack gaskets and running down a channel in the pillar between the front and back doors?
  • asphaltrockdweller
    350 Buick
    • Jul 09, 2009

There are SO MANY places where water gets in to our FSJ's.

On the Wagoneer's that I have had (still have), all three of them had stress rips in the sheet metal around the rear wheel wells. The most common tear in my Waggy's is at the rear of the rear door where the floor board goes up to the cargo level.

When I stripped down one of my Wagoneer's I also noted that the rear quarter window seal was leaking too.
    On top of all that the rear doors from the factory really did not seal that well either.
    (Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• backroadin'
      350 Buick
      • Aug 11, 2004

Originally posted by asphaltrockdweller

When I stripped down one of my Wagoneer's I also noted that the rear quarter window seal was leaking too.
      On top of all that the rear doors from the factory really did not seal that well either.
      This... and I also suspect my rear cargo area window seals are leaking too - I've noticed drops of water going down the inner wheel well toward the front, and I know they leak into the way back cargo area. I have some water on the rear floor in the area pictured above after a hard rain.
      1973 Wagoneer, 4.6L Jeep inline 6 stroker, t176/d300, offy dualport w/ quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads." -- Doc Brown https://forums.ifsja.org/images/smilies/cool.png

"When this baby reaches 88 miles per hour, you're gonna to see some serious shhttps://forums.ifsja.org/images/smilies/eek.pngt!"

Comment

• Brynjminjones
        258 I6
        • Jun 11, 2017

With my Wag, the biggest leak by far was from the plastic sheeting inside the doors.
        Mine was put on badly so any water that entered the door was directed right over the weatherstripping and onto the floor.
        I almost entirely fixed the problem by reapplying the plastic sheeting.

There's a slot in the bottom of each door that the sheet should tuck into. This makes sure that any water running down it goes back into the door and out of the drainage holes.
        Also pay attention to where you apply whatever adhesive you use. I used black butyl tape and made sure that it helped to channel the water in the right direction.
        1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
        1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
        1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• maybeadinosaur
          232 I6
          • Jul 29, 2015

Great thoughts, thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
          X