• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miracleed
    232 I6
    • Feb 19, 2019

Question about AC Repair

Folks,
    I need to replace the condenser (got a leak) and both lines and connectors to and from the condenser. The lines are 40 something years old and connectors are seized and won't come apart. The compressor was easy enough to find but I'm having trouble locating the other parts. Full Size Jeeper has already given me a lead, but I was wondering if folks had already found the parts list (I've got the TSM but didn't know if I could trust it). I'm pretty sure that it's a factory not dealer installed AC unit.

If anyone else has done this and contribute a parts list or some advice I would appreciate it. I'm teetering between repairing what is there or updating it to something more modern, for which there are many threads on these boards.

Thanks in advance,
    Ed
    '79 Wagoneer Limited
  • miracleed
    232 I6
    • Feb 19, 2019

i think i'm finding what i need on oljeep.com
    '79 Wagoneer Limited

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

Honestly I suggest an upgrade!
      I redid my entire system ~2005.
      After everything was replaced & working new would've only been couple hundred more.
      It worked flawlessly and cooled well for many many years still regret decision to rebuild vs. upgrade.
      The new systems are much better imho and you lose the ginormous heater box under hood as a bonus.

over on fsjnetwork there is a member that sells AC stuff and is very knowledgeable might wanna ask his opinion too?

Tony
      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• miracleed
        232 I6
        • Feb 19, 2019

Originally posted by babywag
        Honestly I suggest an upgrade!
        I redid my entire system ~2005.
        After everything was replaced & working new would've only been couple hundred more.
        It worked flawlessly and cooled well for many many years still regret decision to rebuild vs. upgrade.
        The new systems are much better imho and you lose the ginormous heater box under hood as a bonus.

over on fsjnetwork there is a member that sells AC stuff and is very knowledgeable might wanna ask his opinion too?

https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10333

Awesome, just what I was looking for. Thanks BabyWag.
        '79 Wagoneer Limited

Comment

• letank
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Jun 03, 2002

and a new AC chapter has started as well with picts and links

consensus is that the vintage air seems the way to go...

As for your issues, it is really a breaking back job to remove those condenser lines... If you go R134, yes a newer style condenser is the best way
          Michel
          74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
          85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• Mikel
            • Aug 09, 2000

I put a glove compartment unit in my J300, from a 60s Wagoner. R134A, Sanden compressor and a modern parallel flow condenser.

It's not like a modern car, but in a mid 90s day, I'm comfortable inside the truck.
            1969 M715 6x6
            1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

Working...
            X