X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gambler68
    Rabble Rouser
    • Feb 29, 2004

Ahh yeah the skinny tires and shallow offset saved ya. I'm doing all my planning around 38x15.50 super swampers.

Good luck on the front! You should be able to find the sag by measuring down to a level floor from frame corners, then from body points. Should be obvious quick where the problem is. Great build!

ps..I sit in mine and go vroom vroom too
    1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
    1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Gambler68
      Rabble Rouser
      • Feb 29, 2004

ps..could you share exactly what you ordered from Parts Mike on that steering setup (minus the 2" arm). I have a 74-75 GM HD44 I need to order one for as well, and would like to see how close it is to yours, and have an idea on the cost. Appreciate it if you can.

I see you havent done the front shocks either..when I was eyeballing it, it looks like taller shock mounts off the frame need to be made. Thought any on it yet?
      The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
      Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Jeepguy77
        350 Buick
        • Mar 16, 2008

Originally posted by Gambler68
        ps..I sit in mine and go vroom vroom too
        Thats the way to do it, thats what I did before i finally got mine running.
        Pierce,
        77 J10 454, TH400, D20,

Comment

• elkhntr121
          230 Tornado
          • Jan 24, 2009

About tme you got that thing in rolling shape. Get the rest of it together so I can talk you into heading over to Tillamook to get a "shake down" run in!

Comment

• CutterN55
            350 Buick
            • Mar 09, 2009

Man thats lookin great. I dig that pinion guard. I think if you flip those shackles on the rear you can get those blocks outta there and get some of that pinion angle back.
            Last edited by CutterN55; 07-04-2010, 10:09 AM.
            ROMANS 12:1-2

Military guys- Check out www.MilitaryJeepers.com

'89 GW deceased
            Ford 4spd swap Np435/205
            Lifted/stretched on 36's/4.10 thick gears/spooled rear

'86 CJ-7 Renegade, Restored, original steel.
            new Built TBI 258/Np435/D300 twin-sticks/Waggy D44's
            37" Super Swampers and lots of goodies!

Comment

• Cappicaper
              232 I6
              • Oct 27, 2008

Originally posted by CutterN55
              Man thats lookin great. I dig that pinion guard. I think if you flip those shackles on the rear you can get those blocks outta there and get some of that pinion angle back.
              Problem with flipping the shackles is you get the wrong angle on your shackle mount. For the rear to work properly you need that rear shackle to ride about 6 o'clock. If I simply flipped it I would be more like 3:30 or 4 and the spring would fight the shackle before flipping.

If I have suspension issues with this thing I will be removing leaves and placing the springs under the frame - getting rid of post mounts all-together.

Gambler - I bought 2" high steer arms, 2 TRE (one for tie rod & one for drag link) 1 TRE adapter deal for passenger side of drag link that allows a TRE to be installed into it that attaches the drag link and one other TRE type deal that hooks to the pitman arm...and I had them make the Tie Rod and Drag link tubes themselves..and a proper drop pitman arm - not BJ's style - I have one of those as well.

You don't need a full 4" drop for the high steer and Parts mike has the correct pitman for high steer set-ups.

ElkHunter - yeah, Tillamook would be awesome but your detroits are going to kill me
              78 Wagoneer, 401, Turbo400, QT, Posi Rear, 4" lift, 33X10.5 BFG
              69 Gladiator, Buick 350, T18, 14B, 44HD, Cross-over HIgh Steer, Hydroboost, 6" Lift, QR78 Buckshots
              63 CJ5, 302 Ford

Owner Buckstop Truckware, Inc
              www.buckstop.biz

Comment

• Gambler68
                Rabble Rouser
                • Feb 29, 2004

Any rough estimate on all that minus the arms? all GM 1-ton TRE's, right?
                Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Elliott
                  Cowboy Up
                  • Jun 22, 2002

Originally posted by Cappicaper
                  Gambler - I bought 2" high steer arms, 2 TRE (one for tie rod & one for drag link) 1 TRE adapter deal for passenger side of drag link that allows a TRE to be installed into it that attaches the drag link and one other TRE type deal that hooks to the pitman arm...and I had them make the Tie Rod and Drag link tubes themselves..and a proper drop pitman arm - not BJ's style - I have one of those as well.

You don't need a full 4" drop for the high steer and Parts mike has the correct pitman for high steer set-ups.
                  Yep, high Y. That's what he built me for my J200/D60. I guess the only disavantage really is that you have all your steering loaded on one hole in the high steer arm. Looks like you'll have all the clearance you need. I've got the same pinion guard for my 14 bolt and they are wide enough for 1410 joints. Now... I'm about 10 years behind your progress but I'll get there... I think. Love seeing these old trucks built up like this!

*** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
                  ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• Cappicaper
                    232 I6
                    • Oct 27, 2008

Any rough estimate on all that minus the arms? all GM 1-ton TRE's, right?
                    Not sure - don't have the receipts in front of me. I dropped over 3 bills with them.
                    69 Gladiator, Buick 350, T18, 14B, 44HD, Cross-over HIgh Steer, Hydroboost, 6" Lift, QR78 Buckshots
                    63 CJ5, 302 Ford

www.buckstop.biz

Comment

• skeletor
                      350 Buick
                      • Jan 31, 2006

looks good, nice and clean axles. dont forget to get that diff vent hose up out of the way...
                      1984 j10 LWB - for sale
                      1977 Cherokee chief wide track(sold)
                      2004 LJ - sold
                      2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys

Comment

• Tigger4X
                        AMC 4 OH! 1
                        • Nov 16, 2001

Full awn subscribed !

Keep the updates and technical info coming ... of course more pics sure dont hurt!

Thanks for sharing all of the great info!
                        Originally posted by will e
                        Keep in mind. Getting old is easy. Being old is hard.
                        Post #14 ~ http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=1#post1580206

Comment

• Gambler68
                          Rabble Rouser
                          • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by Cappicaper
                          Not sure - don't have the receipts in front of me. I dropped over 3 bills with them.

Yeah I think the TRES run 25-40 each, and the y-steering adaptor thingy about 50ish, so that with the lift knuckle sounds about right. Tube is another 30-50 iirc but you said you made your own. I would too if I had left and right hand taps for it
                          Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Cappicaper
                            232 I6
                            • Oct 27, 2008

... but you said you made your own
                            Nope - bought from PM as well. i don't have taps or a lathe to cut those threads either.
                            63 CJ5, 302 Ford

www.buckstop.biz

Comment

• gotgas
                              232 I6
                              • Aug 12, 2007

That's one of the nicest trucks,I've ever seen.
                              86 Wagoneer,Hei,,Electric fan,Electric fuel pump,Bjs 6" lift,34" swampers,edelbrock carb & intake,Bjs exhaust

Comment

• fireman91186
                                350 Buick
                                • Aug 26, 2008

That truck looks awesome. Thanks for the show and tell.
                                79 cherokee W/T 360 T-18 trans dana 20 transfercase with custom 1.5 spring hangers in front 4" springs in rear 33" swampers
                                78 cherokee chief W/T stock running but barely.
                                2002 stock chevy 4x4 1500 hd

Comment

Working...
                                X