• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • manicjester3
    230 Tornado
    • Aug 06, 2008

Vlave cover question

I've got a 258 from a 82 J10 with a plastic valve cover. From what I can see, the cover leaks like a sieve. I have a metal valve cover from a 79, will the 79 cover bolt up to the 82? The 82 is held on with 2 bolts at either end of the cover and two on top. The 79 metal cover is held on with a bunch of bolts around the outside of the cover.

Thanks,

Alex
    Alex Andrews

1979 J 10 258 (perpetual fixer-upper)
  • tgreese
    • May 29, 2003

Nope.

The plastic covers are terrible leakers.

You can buy a cast aluminum cover to replace the plastic cover. That's the only alternative AFAIK. It comes with a drill and tap for the existing unthreaded holes in the head.

<edit> Actually, there was a special gasket from Victor you could buy for the plastic cover caller "sponge-lam." However, it was $50 a decade ago, and may no longer be available. Even if it were available, the cost of the special gasket will get you most of the way to the aluminum replacement cover.
    Last edited by tgreese; 02-20-2009, 09:58 AM.
    Tim Reese
    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• Ristow
      • Jan 20, 2006

the metal cover has a different shape than the plastic on the spark plug side,i believe they are not compatible at all.
      Originally posted by Hankrod
      Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
      ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
      I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

Working...
      X