• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Red20
    258 I6
    • Jun 19, 2010

The BigRed Build Thread

Well, it's high time I started a thread for BigRed. I'm not exactly blessed financially being in the Marine Corps and all, so it'll be a nice, slow long term thread. I'm calling this a build thread, but I like to get her out and wheel her, so this will surely be just as much a break and repair thread as a build thread.

Current setup:

Engine: 5.9L 360
    -Edelbrock Performer Intake
    -Eddy 1406 carb on 1" spacer with custom chamfered phenolic plenum
    -Eddy Performer Plus cam
    -MSD 6 ignition box
    -MSD Hi-vibration Blaster Coil
    -MSD TFI-style cap and rotor
    Tranny: TF727
    -PO rebuilt and installed "shift kit"
    TCase: NP208
    Axles:
    -Front Dana 44HD 3.73 gears open
    -Rear FF Dana 60 3.73 gears open
    Wheels: 16x8 Mickey Thompson Classic II, black
    Tires: 285/75R16 Treadwright Guarddog (Awesome tire. MTR style tread)

Future Mods:

SOA/SF maybe with 2" lift springs
    4.56 or 4.88 gears
    Ox or ARB lockers front and rear
    37" IROK radials
    Fast's EZ-EFI kit
    Recurve dizzy
    Custom Front and Rear Bumpers
    Smittybilt winch
    BJs aluminum crossflow radiator and aluminum water pump
    Hard-mount and plumb my Smittybilt compressor into tank(s) with manifold, blowoff, pressure switch, etc.
    Bob/Shorten the rear end and build a custom flatbed!

If you're willing to stick with this post for the next 5 years or so, you'll see all of this and more happen right before your eyes!

NEXT POST WILL INCLUDE PICTURES!!!
    -JoshUSMC

"Good engineering is simply finding the right wrench to pound in the correct screw." -Adam Welchel

1985 J20 "BigRed" 360/727/208/44/60 Edelbrock Performer Intake, Carb, Cam, MSD 6
    1974 J10 "Ugly Monster" VERY SADLY SOLD!
    1969 Javelin SST "Yet Unnamed" 290/BW M40 (360 build in the works with a built TH350)
  • Red20
    258 I6
    • Jun 19, 2010

FAST or MSD

I think I'm moving away from Fast's EZ-EFI to MSD's Atomic EFI. I'm gonna hopefully go to the local parts house pretty soon and get one on order. I do still have to address my suspension issues though. Luckily, I found out that Maui Offroad Center here on Oahu is a BDS distributor. My only other option for springs for BigRed was 4 Wheel Parts, but I keep hearing that the Skyjacker lift springs ride pretty rough.

Another cool thing is that MSD is giving away a free MSD 6 Digital box with any purchase of the Atomic EFI system prior to the end of March. I already have an MSD 6 system, but not the new style "digital" box. I may be selling an Edelbrock carb and MSD 6 ignition pretty soon.

Finally, the throttle body and "power module" will look awfully sexy under the hood with my MSD ignition box, MSD dizzy cap, and MSD Blaster Coil with the MSD mounting clamp. I may finally have a reason to clean up my engine bay.

-JoshUSMC

"Good engineering is simply finding the right wrench to pound in the correct screw." -Adam Welchel

1985 J20 "BigRed" 360/727/208/44/60 Edelbrock Performer Intake, Carb, Cam, MSD 6
    1969 Javelin SST "Yet Unnamed" 290/BW M40 (360 build in the works with a built TH350)

Comment

• Red20
      258 I6
      • Jun 19, 2010

Suspension and Diffs

So, if you saw my recent "Suspension Advice Needed" post, (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=150717) you know that I've got a bent leaf spring on one side and a broken shock on the other up front. So...when my truck arrives here on Oahu, I've got to do something about that.

I've pretty much decided that I'm gonna go with a 4" all spring lift kit. I'd like to do the BJsOffroad kit with Bilstein shocks, but shipping to Oahu is gonna be HUNDREDS of dollars for something that heavy. There is a local shop out here that is a BDS dealer, but they're quoting me heavy shipping costs for everything as well. They don't keep the springs for FSJs in stock, of course. 4 Wheel Parts has a store about 30 minutes from me, so I stopped in to talk to them today. They charge a 7% freight charge across the board on everything in stock or ordered but the military discount pretty much cancels it out. So...that leaves me with a Superlift kit or a SkyJacker kit. The guy at 4 Wheel Parts says he can get BDS too and is gonna call me back on Monday to give me a price on that.

I really wish I could order the kit from BJ's and get their pretty decent price on Bilteins as well as their quick disconnects and brake lines. There's just no way I could justify paying the shipping. And I'm also gonna order some Powertrax lockers from 4 Wheel Parts while I'm at it.

I guess I'm just waiting to have an FSJ angel visit me in a dream and say go to "A" store and order "B" parts.
      -JoshUSMC

Comment

• FSJ Guy
        • Mar 20, 2005

The Atomic EFI system is pretty expensive for something that doesn't give you timing control. :-/

You could order a turnkey system from AFI for MUCH LESS and have timing control. No "auto tuning" required since AFI burns the chip to your specs.

It depends on how much tuning you think you want to get into. AFI's system is turnkey. Bolt it on and fire it up. BUT, it gives you the option of playing with it later on. And it's based on easy to get GM parts should something fail.

I have been happy with my 4" Skyjacker lift. The internet buzz is that it's one of the softest riding 4" lifts out there.

Pop over to the EFI subforum here for more than you'd ever want to know about fuel injection on our rigs.
        Ethan Brady
        1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• CutterN55
          350 Buick
          • Mar 09, 2009

Sounds like you are on the same road as me. I've turned to the junkyards for a budget build on enlisted pay. Have learned a ton along the way. Good luck with your build.

SF brother, stay safe.
          ROMANS 12:1-2

Military guys- Check out www.MilitaryJeepers.com

'89 GW deceased
          Ford 4spd swap Np435/205
          Lifted/stretched on 36's/4.10 thick gears/spooled rear

'86 CJ-7 Renegade, Restored, original steel.
          new Built TBI 258/Np435/D300 twin-sticks/Waggy D44's
          37" Super Swampers and lots of goodies!

Comment

• Red20
            258 I6
            • Jun 19, 2010

Where's the Money?

I sent my accountant (read wife) my detailed "budget request" for the next phase of the BigRed build. The only things we've done so far are wheels and tires and a few things under the hood like carb spacer, radiator, TFI cap upgrade, etc. This one is a much bigger (and more expensive) list.

The following items will be purchased and installed in the hopefully very near future:

-4" Skyjacker all spring lift w/shocks and pitman arm
            -Powertrax lockers for front D44 and rear D60 (I am bargaining for another $1k or so to upgrade this to electrically actuated Ox Lockers. We'll see...)
            -MSD Atomic EFI kit. (Yes GM parts are an easy replacement on a junkyard GM TBI or custom AFI kit, but I can't get over how sexy the MSD throttle body looks and I'm willing to be a guinnea pig and give it a shot.)

One issue I forsee is future upgrades. I plan on adding a SOA/SF lift to the 4" springs in the future with 37"/38" tires and with the 3.73 gears and lockers I'm about to have I'm gonna have to change carriers/lockers when I regear. I don't like wasting money, but I guess I could scrounge for some thick gears/spacers. I'll cross that bridge when I get there, I suppose.

With a fresh lift, EFI, and lockers my wife is gonna have to drag me out of the truck. I can't wait!!!
            Last edited by Red20; 01-19-2012, 05:22 PM.
            -JoshUSMC

Comment

• BRUTUS
              360 AMC
              • Dec 06, 2005

Originally posted by Red20
              The following items will be purchased and installed in the hopefully very near future:

-4" Skyjacker all spring lift w/shocks and pitman arm
              -Powertrax lockers for front D44 and rear D60 (I am bargaining for another $1k or so to upgrade this to electrically actuated Ox Lockers. We'll see...)
              -MSD Atomic EFI kit. (Yes GM parts are an easy replacement on a junkyard GM TBI or custom AFI kit, but I can't get over how sexy the MSD throttle body looks and I'm willing to be a guinnea pig and give it a shot.)
              I know Ethan likes to think he can make a FSJ into a Cadillac ... I like to feel like I am driving a truck in my truck! I went with the Superlift and LOVE it!! Definitely a stiff ride... Handles like a sports car on the curvy mountain roads, without a sway bar.

Originally posted by Red20
              One issue I forsee is future upgrades. I plan on adding a SOA/SF lift to the 4" springs in the future with 37"/38" tires and with the 3.73 gears and lockers I'm about to have I'm gonna have to change carriers/lockers when I regear. I don't like wasting money, but I guess I could scrounge for some thick gears/spacers. I'll cross that bridge when I get there, I suppose.
              What type of wheeling do you intend to do? If you plan on going easy on it, you should be alright on the stock axles. If you wanna get crazy with it, save your money for 3/4 or 1 ton axles if/when you end up stateside. If I were you, I would do 4" springs, 35" tires and cheap lockers for now.
              "Brutus" '74 J10 360/T18/D20/Front D60 Pro Rock & ARB/2" shave, ARB, 15 bolt FF Rear/ 4.56 Gears/38.5 x 16 TSL
              Current Jeep Status:Under The Knife
              Current Homepage Status: RUNNING

Comment

• Red20
                258 I6
                • Jun 19, 2010

Originally posted by BRUTUS
                What type of wheeling do you intend to do? If you plan on going easy on it, you should be alright on the stock axles. If you wanna get crazy with it, save your money for 3/4 or 1 ton axles if/when you end up stateside. If I were you, I would do 4" springs, 35" tires and cheap lockers for now.
                I try to take it easy, but always end up saying something to the effect of "Heck, I can do that. Hang on!" I think I'll be okay with the D60 and D44HD with stock 30 splines for now though. I'm gonna do the 4" springs and lunchbox lockers and keep the 33" tires for now. If the limited trails here in Oahu beat me, I'll just build from there until I can conquer all!

As a matter of fact, I'm buying a 180Amp Lincoln mig welder and 220V plasma cutter tomorrow or the next day. I'd better not get too much free time on my hands, or BigRed will be a bobbed, caged, flatbed trailer queen before we know it.
                Last edited by Red20; 01-31-2012, 12:11 PM.
                -JoshUSMC

Comment

• Red20
                  258 I6
                  • Jun 19, 2010

Originally posted by FSJ Guy
                  The Atomic EFI system is pretty expensive for something that doesn't give you timing control. :-/
                  Actually the Atomic EFI system does support timing control. I've read alot about the algorithms and theory behind it and it seems to be a pretty intuitive system. You just need a distributor with a magnetic pickup and adjustable rotor. I should be able to make my motorcraft dizzy work just fine as far as I can tell.
                  -JoshUSMC

Comment

• Red20
                    258 I6
                    • Jun 19, 2010

Repairs

I've spent a considerable amount of time the last 2 days at the Auto Skills Center on the Marine Corps base working on the Jeep. Until I move into my new house on the 10th, I don't have a garage, so I'm spending a lot of time there.

So...I knew my transmission and motor mounts were shot, but MAN, OH MAN were they bad. My motor mounts were both split in two, top and bottom. And my transmission mount wasn't any better. If anything, it was worse:

I also replaced my exhaust manifold gaskets today and I still have a leak. After further examination in the parking lot of the hotel where we've been living for the last month, I noticed the problem. The gaskets I bought are the FelPro ones that are not one piece. On the back bolt on the driver side, I missed one of the gasket holes, so I'm under the gasket and it's sticking up and pinched. That was the WORST hole to get a bolt in also. The steering pump is in the way, and the header manifold flange doesn't line up well with the holes on the heads. Luckily the flange is cut between 1 and 3 as well as 5 and 7 (and the same on the 2-8 bank), so I was able to pry that tube over to line up with the hole. It was just a nightmarish procedure by myself. I can't believe I'm gonna have to take it off again. I usually don't make mistakes that dumb.
                    -JoshUSMC

Comment

• Red20
                      258 I6
                      • Jun 19, 2010

New Toys

Check out my new toys! We're moving into a house on the 10th, so for now all of this is in the corner of a very packed hotel room.

-JoshUSMC

Comment

• Red20
                        258 I6
                        • Jun 19, 2010

Parts Ordered

I'm rapid firing posts right now. If anyone is still reading I'd be surprised, but if you are: I ORDERED MY LIFT AND LOCKERS TODAY!!!

Now to figure out how to be patient for 4-6 weeks while my stuff makes its way to Hawaii.

If you're wondering, I did get the 4" Skyjacker kit and Powertrax No-Slip lockers. Looks like I won't be able to get the MSD Atomic that I was really wanting to get for a while though. The wife's car has a cam seal and some V-TEC sensor out as well as a transmission that needs replacing. I don't think I'll be doing the transmission on the Honda myself although it certainly would save us a lot of money.
                        -JoshUSMC

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                          • Mar 20, 2005

If you haven't already, get the poly mount set from BJ's. (poly engine and transmission mounts) You should never have to replace the mounts again.
                          Ethan Brady
                          1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• Red20
                            258 I6
                            • Jun 19, 2010

Aw man, I wish I would have known about the poly mounts. I had an unexpected afternoon off from work and just ran down to NAPA for the regular OEM mounts. Guess I'll revisit the issue next time. I'm pretty sure my mounts gave up the ghost when my tranny torque arm bolt broke and shook the whole drivetrain like crazy a few months ago. I should have replaced everything then.

The good news is, I took care of that wacky gasket I screwed up yesterday. Sounds much better now. I'm gonna hold off on hitting any trails until my lift and lockers come in from 4 Wheel Parts. Or I could do a before and after video on an obstacle. That might be cool.
                            -JoshUSMC

Comment

• troopermc
                              232 I6
                              • Dec 17, 2005

As a former Marine and a J10 owner, of course Im still reading this...Keep us posted!!!
                              1979 J10 Honcho
                              1981 SJ Cherokee
                              1960 Willys Wagon

Comment

Working...
                              X