long awaitied electric fan conversion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SJ
    232 I6
    • Apr 16, 2003

Why is an electric fan conversion necessary? Is it a much more efficient way to cool? I live and 4 wheel in the desert so any upgrade to my cooling system would be great.

I am considering a body lift so I was thinking that I wouldn't have to relocate the radiater if I did the conversion, right?
    SJP
    1978 J10 258-2V, all stock

Comment

• Zorm
      304 AMC
      • Apr 08, 1997

HeepofaJeep, I have that same fan (from the tuarus) but I was told that it draws at least 100 amps at startup then runs at 35 amps. Since my stock alt is only about 60-70 amps I need to find another alt.
      Anyone want to chime in with what the Grand Wags (with 360) stick alt is rated at?
      83 Cherokee 4dr WT(axles) 4" lift, 351w, nv3550, NP208, installing soon

65 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 4 speed, 140 quad carb engine

71 F-250 Camper Special (in rewire stage)

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life.

Comment

• youngjeeper
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Jan 24, 2003

SJ, i run electric b.c i never wanna go through what i went through the first time again. i broke a motor mount and the mechanical fan went through the radiator, i was 7 hours from home...to be electrical is more covienient too, you can turn it on whenever you want and turn it off too. also when you turn your jeep off you can keep the fan running for extra cooling.
        88' GW Stock & Mint
        77' CJ-7
        http://gfsj.org/forums
        Choptop/Crew Cab Build-up
        http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=93389

Comment

• FSJ Thing
          Propane Protagonist
          • Aug 25, 2002

Thanks Youngjeeper. I was thinking of ordering an electric fan from summit, but with your info I may be able to save some cash for otherthings!
          The Cherowagladabego Project. Updates coming as soon as I do something update worthy.

Bring back Junk Yard Genius! he may have peed in some of your cornflakes, but everything he told me was helpful!

Comment

• Sycho15
            304 AMC
            • Jul 15, 2002

The biggest advantage of an electric fan is the ability to turn it off when crossing deep water. The water will do the work of keeping the engine cool, and the fan won't get pulled into the radiator and shred it.
            1975 J20 401/TH400/BW1305

Comment

• Max Power
              327 Rambler
              • Sep 25, 2001

There are many benefits to the electric fan, but IMO the best is that the mechanical fan is not constantly sucking HP thats sorely needed @ the rear wheels. Last week I drove from DC to harrisburg PA (120 mostly hiway miles) and turned on my fans once, at the end of the trip as I was parking it.

Cheers,
              Robert
              www.rbk3.com/fsj
              1980 Jeep Cherokee Laredo WT 360/727/208
              1980 MBZ Euro 300D 4-speed manual - Oil Squeezer
              1984 MBZ Euro 300D 5-speed manual - Oil Squeezer

Comment

• Bob Barry
                Jeep Doctor
                • Apr 09, 2000

I'm considering the two-puller/one-pusher combo for my 455 conversion, mainly for space and for deep-water crossing. A side benefit will be the absence of the "B-17 at startup" effect you get with a HD clutch-fan. I swear that even if I broke my entire drivetrain, that engine-driven fan could have pulled my truck up to about 20mph...
                1987 J-20
                Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

Working...
                X