6.2L Diesel advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.2L Diesel advice needed

I am searching in earnest now for a 6.2 to put in the Cherokee. Can any of you 6.2 Diesel guys give me any advice what to look for or avoid?
    Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
    Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"
  • Belteshazzar
    232 I6
    • Dec 30, 2008

why? is there something cool about them I'm not aware of?

My family had a suburban with that motor. Slow, unreliable, and not particularly efficient.
    2003 Maxima
    2002 P71
    1979 RX-7
    1979 Wagoneer

Comment

Because they are inexpensive, can be built to about 200hp (which is plenty for a DD) get about 20-22mpg, fit on SBC motor mounts, and fit well in the engine bay.
      David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
      83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
      10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

• ninjaneer
        232 I6
        • Feb 19, 2006

Check out Diesel Place for potential engine health-related issues.

Also check out

to see what you'll run into when installing it. There are a few helpful install threads if you search this site as well.

Comment

• budojeepr
          350 Buick
          • Feb 02, 2006

A few things I found out:
          - If you can drive it, run through this:
          Start it cold, make sure glow plugs work. Observe smoke. If white smoke persists, it may have a blown head gasket. Happens a lot on these if they're abused.
          Warm it up, see if smoke clears, idle smooths out.
          Drive, get the usual impressions you look for.
          Once it's good and warmed up (operating temperature), turn it off, wait a few minutes, and try starting again. If it doesn't start (just turns over), the injection pump may be worn. That's an expensive repair (ask me how I know).

- See if you can get a 6.5 instead. There were a lot of improvements made to the block casting for the 6.5, and later is better, from what I hear.

Good luck, and welcome to the soot-shooter world!
          Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Comment

• RubiconMike
            258 I6
            • Dec 05, 2008

Originally posted by Belteshazzar
            why? is there something cool about them I'm not aware of?

My family had a suburban with that motor. Slow, unreliable, and not particularly efficient.
            I have an '89 Chevy G20 full size van with the 6.2. It may be slow, but it's faster than my '82 Cherokee with the 6cyl!. It will also pull a trailer on the freeway at 70mph all day long. (Takes quite a while to get to 70, but once there, it cruises) I regularly get 18mpg overall, and have seen as high as 22mpg on the highway. Not bad for a huge box with no aerodynamics!

I've had it since 1990, in that time I've had the glow plug controller fail, which fried the glow plugs. The transmission failed once due to a poorly made part from the factory, other than that, every problem I've had was the van stuff, never the motor. I change the oil, air, and fuel filters on a regular basis, and that's pretty much it for maintentence.

Imagine having a FSJ that never breaks...............

Comment

• thomastenn
              232 I6
              • Jun 30, 2008

look for a later model with serpintine belt drive they have the internal upgrades that fixed the plagues of the early models. beware of military engines as they have a 24volt system and i think youll need to replace the injection pump and other related items to the 12v civilian models
              looking to initiate project j715

Comment

• Lindel
                Perfesser of Jeepology
                • Jun 15, 2000

IIRC, the mil versions have a mechanical pump, but I could be wrong about that, been a while.
                Jeep Grounds
                RRV Homepage
                Texas Full Size Jeep Association
                1987 Grand Wagoneer
                AMC 360/TF727/NP229
                1999 Wrangler Sport
                4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• Belteshazzar
                  232 I6
                  • Dec 30, 2008

Originally posted by RubiconMike
                  I have an '89 Chevy G20 full size van with the 6.2. It may be slow, but it's faster than my '82 Cherokee with the 6cyl!. It will also pull a trailer on the freeway at 70mph all day long. (Takes quite a while to get to 70, but once there, it cruises) I regularly get 18mpg overall, and have seen as high as 22mpg on the highway. Not bad for a huge box with no aerodynamics!

I've had it since 1990, in that time I've had the glow plug controller fail, which fried the glow plugs. The transmission failed once due to a poorly made part from the factory, other than that, every problem I've had was the van stuff, never the motor. I change the oil, air, and fuel filters on a regular basis, and that's pretty much it for maintentence.

that's fine. I just hadn't had a good experience and didn't see the sense of it.
                  2003 Maxima
                  2002 P71
                  1979 RX-7
                  1979 Wagoneer

Comment

Yeah, my Cummins is no race rocket either, but it will tow my boat all day and give back 20 MPG while doing it. with the air on. up hill.
                    I have a line on an older model (84) van that the owner says has been rebuilt, heads reworked, inj pump rebuilt (?) new lift pump, I can hear it run but the tranny is "bad". I have asked what "bad" means exactly and am waiting on a response. I have also found a newer model 6.5 but I don't really want to have to deal with an ECU.
                    Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
                    Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• The PIG Smith
                      King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by RubiconMike

HERE HERE!!
                      I've got a '93 GMC 3500 extended length cargo van which is just as you have described about yours.
                      It's no Speed Racer, but it will get out of its own way rather smartly.
                      I've not checked the milege as I know I need to replace some injectors, but it does much better than the 360 in my J20.
                      I would like to get 18-20mpg, but its 14FF rearend is stuffed with 4:10 gears, so I am not getting my hopes up.
                      The only think I dislike about my van is that it rides like a tractor.
                      My cargo van is a steel box on wheels...very loud (no interior), rough riding (9700 GVW)

A 6.2 is a great Diesel swap canidate for a FSJ.
                      I bought my van as a donor for a FSJ, but I've decided to hang onto the van for a while.
                      Bryan Smith
                      2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
                      - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
                      1986 Jeep J20
                      - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
                      1982 Jeep J10
                      - Has become a Long Term Project.
                      1981 Jeep J20
                      - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
                      1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
                      - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
                      ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
                      Originally posted by Lindel
                      Best laid plans, yada yada yada...

Comment

• The PIG Smith
                        King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by 710 Burner
                        I have also found a newer model 6.5 but I don't really want to have to deal with an ECU.
                        The way to get around the ECU is replace the DB4 electronic Injector Pump with a DB2 mechanical pump from a 6.2.
                        Afterwards...NO stinking computer as the engine is now a total mechanical motor!
                        Bryan Smith
                        2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
                        - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
                        1986 Jeep J20
                        - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
                        1982 Jeep J10
                        - Has become a Long Term Project.
                        1981 Jeep J20
                        - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
                        1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
                        - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
                        ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
                        Originally posted by Lindel
                        Best laid plans, yada yada yada...

Comment

• FSJ-Jackson
                          232 I6
                          • Apr 12, 2002

Originally posted by thomastenn
                          look for a later model with serpintine belt drive they have the internal upgrades that fixed the plagues of the early models. beware of military engines as they have a 24volt system and i think youll need to replace the injection pump and other related items to the 12v civilian models
                          The only 24 volt parts on the military trucks is the glow plug controller and the starter, otherwise it is all 12 volt.
                          1974_J10 and a bunch of parts sitting around
                          built 401 with 460ish HP at the flywheel
                          soon to be sm465 & divorced NP205
                          Rockwells_16r20 Michelin XZL's
                          Still lots to do and $ to spend

1983 Cherokee Chief Laredo
                          258/727/229
                          d44/AMC20 3.31
                          Saw this jem at the Pic-n-pull and bought it for $600 on the spot.

Comment

• poolmike
                            232 I6
                            • Mar 03, 2005

Watch for cracked heads! They are also notarious for cracked blocks. Beware of any 6.2/6.5 that has been rebuilt, a lot of machine shops don't get the boring tools lined up properly and the rear cylinders get bored all crooked. I learned a lot of $expensive$ lessons building mine, and by the time it was complete, I didn't want it anymore. I sold it for a fraction of my investment and dropped a 4bt in the truck. Go industrial the first time and don't worry every time you drive it! Just my opinion.
                            '68 M715, Cummins P-pump 5.9, NV4500, NP205, 14 bolt/Dana 60, 20x10 American Racing Mojave's w/12.50R20 Michelin XL's, relentless rust....

Comment

• Karl Streich
                              327 Rambler
                              • Mar 09, 2003

If you stick with NA then make sure you have open intake and exhaust, it does wonders for performance on a diesel.

Comment

Working...
                              X