• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike1072
    230 Tornado
    • Apr 24, 2018

Help! Cold start issue continued - attached video

Hello everyone,
    After adjusting the set screws out an additional full turn, I still cannot get my GW to start from cold without a shot of starting fluid. I added this video which shows what happens (or doesn?t happen) from ice cold (70 deg), turning the key to ?on? pumping gas, cranking, attempting to pump more gas. PLEASE any feedback you have would be helpful! I?ve adjusted the choke as well, but I think there?s a problem getting gas in the carb.
    Once I spray starting fluid, it fires right up, and will start afterwards (without the ether) with no problem.

• 440sixpack
    327 Rambler
    • Jul 21, 2016

Several things.

Your choke isn't closed all the way. choked means choked , though at 70 degrees it shouldn't need much.

Starting fluid can mask weak spark. if you're not getting 12v on start up starting fluid may be helping you out.

The most obvious thing to try is to pump the hell out of it, richen it up. make the accelerator pump give it gas so it doesn't need a choke. if that does it then you need more choke .

Comment

• Curly5759
      232 I6
      • Mar 08, 2015

I agree on the choke, it should be closed 100% at cold start and then it should immediately open a bit once the engine starts. (This is done by the vacuum pull off, brass colored thing on the left in video)

I would start by opening the choke by hand and looking down the carb throat while you pump the accelerator by hand. You should see gas squirt out into the carb. If not, the accelerator pump is bad. I don't think yours is working.

Next, with the engine cold, close the choke 100% by hand and crank the engine. It should start almost immediately. Adjust your choke thermostat to close the choke when cold.
      77 Cherokee S 360/TH400/QT

Comment

• Mr Carts
        258 I6
        • Aug 22, 2011

I have my choke wired open and with 3 pumps of the gas she fires right up even when it is down in the thirty's.

That being said I have the Ford TFI cap and Coil with a Accel HEI module DENSO 4708 Iridium TT spark plugs. Also running Single 0 battery cables with a group 24 Battery.

FYI here is the parts list for the Ignition upgrade:

Here are the parts I ordered from Rock Auto.

I used two spark plug wire sets to get fit I wanted with out making up wires.

AIRTEX / WELLS
        4D1004

BOSCH

AIRTEX / WELLS
        5C1116

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS
        FD168T

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS
        FD117T

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS
        LX204T

CHAMPION

Accel Hei 4 Pin Module from Autozone
        1980 Cherokee WT 360 TFI Contour Fan 727 208
        3.31 285/75X16 Duratrac's E rated

Comment

• 440sixpack
          327 Rambler
          • Jul 21, 2016

You can get by without a choke as long as you don't mind sitting with your rig until it warms up a bit. but it's better to have it working.

Comment

• mattmopar440
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • May 17, 2007

choke not the issue

#1 check the carb has fuel in the bowls Hit the Accelerator pump see if its sprays fuel (Could have an issue with leaking the fuel out of the bowls when it sits or a weak pump)

#2 if the carb has fuel check spark see if its weak or if its getting 12 volts on cranking try jumping 12 volts to the coil (should have 12 volts cranking 6-8 in run position)

#3 tune up spark plugs wires cap rotor coil
            Last edited by mattmopar440; 06-17-2018, 11:48 PM.
            87' Grand Wagoneer
            401/727/229, Currently:RUNNING
            84 J10/20 hybrid 258/727/208 Daily Driver
            80' J10 4BT/AX-15/208
            74' J10 Go Grabber Green Sold
            Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
            Inferior Chevy

Comment

• Mr Carts
              258 I6
              • Aug 22, 2011

I run a relay to power the coil giving full 12 volts, my starter barely turns over the engine before almost instantly it fires up.

Cold day staring she needs a minute or two of warm up.

I thought about converting to a manual choke, I even have the kit but have not seen the need to install it yet.
              1980 Cherokee WT 360 TFI Contour Fan 727 208
              3.31 285/75X16 Duratrac's E rated

Comment

• 440sixpack
                327 Rambler
                • Jul 21, 2016

The choke absolutely matters unless you compensate by pumping the accelerator pump . one way or another a cold engine needs more fuel or it won't start it's as simple as that. his choke isn't closed and he's not pumping it so there isn't much reason to look beyond the obvious until he addresses one or the other.

Comment

• Ristow
                  • Jan 20, 2006

while i think you have other issues as well,that choke should snap shut. fix it. that looks like a typical OTC reman carb,which is basically the same as a junk carb but cleaner. the choke unloader is out of adjustment too,i can see.

the accelerator pump appears to be bone dry or not giving a full shot either.

what set screws are you adjusting?

next time,hold the choke flap shut and see if it fires up.
                  Originally posted by Hankrod
                  Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                  ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                  I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• 68glad
                    350 Buick
                    • Jun 01, 2006

It should start with the choke like it is. Look down carb and stab throttle. Does gas squirt out? I'd skip the starter fluid every time & pour 1-2oz gas in carb instead. Chokes not 100% necessary but makes life wayyy easier in winter.
                    68 gladiator- 455/400/20 r.i.p.
                    78 wagoneer- 401, drw60, drw70, 203/205, 38's, oba, obw, hydroboost, dual p/s pump, bla bla bla

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."

Comment

• Mikel
                      • Aug 09, 2000

1969 M715 6x6
                      1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• mattmopar440
                        AMC 4 OH! 1
                        • May 17, 2007

Originally posted by Ristow
                        the accelerator pump appears to be bone dry or not giving a full shot either.
                        thats what I was thinking as well but you are the carb king (we are not worthy )

Originally posted by Mikel
                        this is why I love youtube no idea who had that old footage laying around but I love that someone spent the time to upload it
                        87' Grand Wagoneer
                        401/727/229, Currently:RUNNING
                        84 J10/20 hybrid 258/727/208 Daily Driver
                        80' J10 4BT/AX-15/208
                        74' J10 Go Grabber Green Sold
                        Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                        Inferior Chevy

Comment

• FSJunkie
                          The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                          • Jan 09, 2011

Most engines at 70 degrees will want choke. Yours may not, but many will. Automatic chokes work awesome when adjusted properly and make you pull your hair out if they are not.

I love how everybody quiets down in silent respect one Ristow comments about a carburetor issue and nobody dares to argue against him.
                          '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• Mike1072
                            230 Tornado
                            • Apr 24, 2018

Thanks guys for all the great information! And I LOVED the 60s era video, actually super informative! I?ll make some adjustments and check the accelerator pump...I think I?m not getting any gas at all on initial pump. Stay tuned!!

Comment

Working...
                            X