X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • letank
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jun 03, 2002

if you have his name and address, time to serve him to appear in small claim court... limit is $10K in Cal
    Michel
    74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
    85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by babywag
      ... they finally sent out an adjuster to "take a look @ it" today.
      What a joke....
      Did he say ANYTHING useful? Did he say when his estimate would be ready? How long does the other guy have to make a statement? 30 calendar days?
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
      (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
        Did he say ANYTHING useful? Did he say when his estimate would be ready? How long does the other guy have to make a statement? 30 calendar days?
        Last email from adjuster stated "hoped" to have update by end of day Friday.
        Shocker...didn't happen.

No idea on limit if any, I don't believe there is any law requiring someone to give a statement/talk to an insurance company.
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• GWNashville
          232 I6
          • Dec 28, 2016

So Sorry to hear about your wagon. I was just thinking today about lowering my insurance to a lessor policy. Won't be doing that. Good luck Monday.
          Richard
          GWNashville
          Email:[email protected]
          1989 Grand Wagoneer 360 c.i.
          727 Transmission
          Sniper EFI Hyperspark
          Serehill Rear Glass and Fog Light Harness.

Comment

• DarkMonohue
            Shakes hands with danger
            • Jul 01, 2012

Any updates to share? I'm really sorry this happened. I had a terrible experience with my insurance provider when our very nice, but old, Camry got totalled by a drunk driver. Our insurance was through Progressive and the drunk's was also. Progressive took a look at the car, agreed that it was totalled, and offered me about a third of replacement cost. They refused to budge and wouldn't even follow reasonable logic when comparing values to similar cars listed locally - e.g. ours was a well-equipped V6 model, and my pointing out that I couldn't buy a base-model four-cylinder cars for what they were offering failed to sway them. Even alerting them that I was prepared to take my business elsewhere didn't seem to concern them in the slightest.

Unfortunately, the insurance provider is relying on the policyholder's impatience and desperation to force them into accepting a stupidly low offer. In my case, Progressive held that line, probably assuming that since we drove cheap old cars, that we must also be without resources to replace them, and would eagerly accept the few hundred dollars they waved in front of us.

One tactic that did help was to ask them to simply replace the vehicle with a like example. That's not something they do, but it brought the conversation back to realistic local replacement value, since that is where people purchase vehicles, rather than what a book said, since you can't buy cars from KBB or NADA.

The other approach that really added some leverage was to let them know that I felt that they were cheating me and had been in touch with the state insurance board regarding some of their statements. I made it clear that I was prepared to file a formal complaint if they were unable to work according to the law and, in doing so, produce an appropriate offer. Suddenly the adjuster "had a talk with the manager" and started to see some of my points, and the offer went up to a value that allowed me to take the check and be done with it.

I hate insurance.
            '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
            Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
            High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• ShagWagon
              350 Buick
              • Apr 10, 2016

Originally posted by DarkMonohue
              Any updates to share? I'm really sorry this happened. I had a terrible experience with my insurance provider when our very nice, but old, Camry got totalled by a drunk driver. Our insurance was through Progressive and the drunk's was also. Progressive took a look at the car, agreed that it was totalled, and offered me about a third of replacement cost. They refused to budge and wouldn't even follow reasonable logic when comparing values to similar cars listed locally - e.g. ours was a well-equipped V6 model, and my pointing out that I couldn't buy a base-model four-cylinder cars for what they were offering failed to sway them. Even alerting them that I was prepared to take my business elsewhere didn't seem to concern them in the slightest.

Unfortunately, the insurance provider is relying on the policyholder's impatience and desperation to force them into accepting a stupidly low offer. In my case, Progressive held that line, probably assuming that since we drove cheap old cars, that we must also be without resources to replace them, and would eagerly accept the few hundred dollars they waved in front of us.

One tactic that did help was to ask them to simply replace the vehicle with a like example. That's not something they do, but it brought the conversation back to realistic local replacement value, since that is where people purchase vehicles, rather than what a book said, since you can't buy cars from KBB or NADA.

The other approach that really added some leverage was to let them know that I felt that they were cheating me and had been in touch with the state insurance board regarding some of their statements. I made it clear that I was prepared to file a formal complaint if they were unable to work according to the law and, in doing so, produce an appropriate offer. Suddenly the adjuster "had a talk with the manager" and started to see some of my points, and the offer went up to a value that allowed me to take the check and be done with it.

I hate insurance.
              Is based on how much or how far you are willing to take it.

Car worth 7k. Write you a check for 2k because they know it will cost you 5k in lawyers, 3 years and countless trips to court to get your full 7k.

Then they will raise your rates to make up any loss they incur. And if you go somewhere else they will charge you more because the other will tell them you are difficult to deal with.

I hate insurance too.
              87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• babywag
                out of order
                • Jun 08, 2005

Thought I posted an update, but guess not??

Monday finally got my answer from AAA.
                Insurance hassle is over...they had no coverage(shocker) why it took AAA a month to come to this determination is beyond me?
                Which meant had to utilize my policy uninsured coverage.
                This means the MAX payout is $3500 doesn't matter how much vehicle damage was done.
                What AAA doesn't tell you is even though policy states higher amount of coverage all they're liable for is $3500.
                CA insurance information website states the same, so way lame!!

Anyway the initial damage estimate was $4K, the adjuster missed/excluded some damage. I would easily say $5k or more actual repair cost.
                They valued it @$8982.

My only recourse is small claims court to make up the difference.
                Based on background checks and their lack of cooperation and communication I seriously doubt I'll see a dime, regardless if I win or not.
                It is very easy for losers like this to get out of paying.

Next step will be a real damage estimate primarily to see about frame/axle/suspension.
                Once I know what that will cost me will make the decision on fixing or ?
                Tony

Comment

• Ristow
                  • Jan 20, 2006

next time tell them your neck is starting to hurt. lower back too....knee mighta hit the dash.....

I hate insurance.
                  Originally posted by Hankrod
                  Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                  ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Ristow
                    • Jan 20, 2006

absolutely sue them.

Insurance hassle is over...they had no coverage(shocker) why it took AAA a month to come to this determination is beyond me?
                    This means the MAX payout is $3500 doesn't matter how much vehicle damage was done.
                    What AAA doesn't tell you is even though policy states higher amount of coverage all they're liable for is $3500.

Anyway the initial damage estimate was $4K, the adjuster missed/excluded some damage. I would easily say $5k or more actual repair cost.
                    They valued it @$8982.

Based on background checks and their lack of cooperation and communication I seriously doubt I'll see a dime, regardless if I win or not.

Next step will be a real damage estimate primarily to see about frame/axle/suspension.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• blauvelt
                      230 Tornado
                      • Nov 19, 2019

Thanks for the heads up on AAA uninsured motorist limits, I have my Wagoneer on AAA, going to review that and get on the phone with them ASAP.

Very sorry for your loss.

They valued it @$8982.

Comment

• Ristow
                        • Jan 20, 2006

Originally posted by blauvelt
                        Thanks for the heads up on AAA uninsured motorist limits, I have my Wagoneer on AAA, going to review that and get on the phone with them ASAP.

Very sorry for your loss.

i believe those laws will vary by state,and obviously CA will have the worst policy regs in the country.

Comment

• babywag
                          out of order
                          • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by Ristow
                          i believe those laws will vary by state,and obviously CA will have the worst policy regs in the country.
                          Believe it or not, there are states that are worse than CA in regard to uninsured drivers.
                          My policy had coverage for uninsured & underinsured was $50k/$100k(bodily injury).
                          I wrongly assumed that property damage coverage was good enough...what they DO NOT tell you about is the $3500 max payout limit on property damage.
                          Partly my fault for not educating myself better/having collision insurance on the 'ole turd.

This situation was more that they did NOT have coverage.
                          Had they actually been insured my Jeep would be in the shop getting repaired.

But, doing the math I haven't even paid $3500 in 14yrs of insurance on the thing.
                          Tony

Comment

• DarkMonohue
                            Shakes hands with danger
                            • Jul 01, 2012

Originally posted by Ristow
                            next time tell them your neck is starting to hurt. lower back too....knee mighta hit the dash.....
                            Fortunately, our car was parked when the drunk hit it, so no injuries could be claimed. But, yeah, that's a thought. Might open the corporate checkbook up a little wider.
                            '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
                            Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
                            High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• Ristow
                              • Jan 20, 2006

Fortunately, our car was parked when the drunk hit it, so no injuries could be claimed. But, yeah, that's a thought. Might open the corporate checkbook up a little wider.

right,and now i think im having panic attacks about parking my car anywhere......mental anguish........i think i need an ambulance.....

Comment

• 661warwagon
                                232 I6
                                • Apr 21, 2016

There's a couple out here in my neck of woods (central cal) for sale in that price range if you want to switch your interiors out

Comment

Working...
                                X