• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kreter
    232 I6
    • Jul 10, 2014

J10 Chevy 6.2 Swap.

I picked up my first FSJ this spring and pretty much fell in love with it. I've always been a wrangler guy, but man do I like to drive this truck. About a month or so back it started smokin real bad and I pulled over on the side of the road. Popped the hood and it looked like I had ran over five gallons of oil. I got it back to the shop, filled it with oil, power washed the block, and then let it run looking for the leak. It never did leak, but I can't leave well enough alone. I went about checking the time gear and ect for basic maintenance. It was worn pretty good. in the process of taking it off, the cam shaft snout fell off. So there I was. I know of a local GW with a 401 for cheap, but I happen to have a bravada that I was parting out I was able to trade for a 6.2 silverado that is turns freely but the guy couldn't get it to run after he changed the fuel filter. Not entire sure what is wrong with it, but I know it ran the night he pulled the fuel filter, so theres something. I have a buddy who is a diesel mechanic coming by to take a look at it sunday and we are gonna begin pulling it. I'll take it to the shop and get it rebuilt as I prep the J10 for the swap. Going to go head and clean it up, prep for paint and who knows, maybe even paint it.

Ultimately this thread will be about replacing the 360/727/stock jeep tcase with the 6.2/4l80e/np241 into my truck and hopefully same some mpg's while emptying my pocket into my new favorite money pit.

There are some pictures of what has been done so far.

Note, cam shaft is still in the block.

• joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

You sent the 6.2 out to get rebuilt cause you couldn't get it stated after a fuel filter change? You gotta fill the filter with fuel when installing or you'll get the fuel system air bound.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Kreter
      232 I6
      • Jul 10, 2014

No, the previous owner couldn't get it started after he changed the fuel filter. I'm going to have it ran through by the shop for my personal piece of mind. I'm putting a screw on fuel filter and a electric pump on it so the only the injection pump on will be stock. I'mma give my buddy a case of beer and if he can get it running before we pull it, great, if not, oh well.

Comment

• MJMadness
        232 I6
        • Sep 26, 2005

Originally posted by Kreter
        I'm going to have it ran through by the shop for my personal piece of mind. I'm putting a screw on fuel filter and a electric pump on it so the only the injection pump on will be stock.
        Not a bad idea at all. It's a lot cheaper to freshen up an engine when it just needs new bearings, rings, gaskets and a hone job, rather than when there's a rod through the side of the block and fist sized chunks of metal rattling around in the oil pan.

What electric pump are you going to get? If you're going to put a screw on filter on it, I'd suggest getting a water separator too.

Comment

• Kreter
          232 I6
          • Jul 10, 2014

The electric pump is a Auto Zone special. It specifically says diesel though I don't think it matters, between 4-8 psi I believe. Also the filter I got is also a water/fuel separator. It should be fine I hope. Only thing I'm terribly worried about is the transmission control. I'm assuming I can make it stand alone since I'm using the engine with it. Never dealt with a 4l80e.

Comment

• kyamcalvert
            232 I6
            • Aug 31, 2010

Find a manual gearbox. Mileage will go from good to excellent and you won't regret it if you have to tow a heavy load on a hilly route. Not to mention less hassle and problems...
            Kyam (that's kye-um)

1982 Wagoneer Brougham
            258/T176/219/Weber 32/36

Comment

• kyamcalvert
              232 I6
              • Aug 31, 2010

Also, I am excited to see how this goes! Love FSJ/6.2 combos
              Kyam (that's kye-um)

1982 Wagoneer Brougham
              258/T176/219/Weber 32/36

Comment

• Kreter
                232 I6
                • Jul 10, 2014

Oh I would consider a manual if I wasn't terrible lazy. Between the work on installing the clutch, actually having to manually shift gears, and actually looking for one vs already having the over drive auto. I don't think that would happen. also 4x4 nv4500s are hard to find in these parts. although im sure I could get a 3500 to work, I can't bear the thought.

Comment

• Kreter
                  232 I6
                  • Jul 10, 2014

I finally began taking the 6.2 out of the truck. Finished today.

After some pretty serious searching I've made a couple decisions in the past couple weeks.

I'm not going to be able to run the stock TCU, I haven't found anyone that has done it cheap enough to beat the TCI EZ controller.

I will be installing a turbo, I will be taking measurements after the engine install though to figure out if I want to deal with putting the turbo under the hood or under the bed like I originally wanted. As for boost, or rather how much boost, I will be running a manual controller and will aim for EGT's between 1000-1100. This seems to be the general consensus on max EGT's for this engine, 10 PSI being considered max boost (by Banks). Of course I'll have to press the envelop like everyone else. I want to make generally the same power from this swap as I would from a 6.0 LS series engine. They can pull easily everything I would need to pull, plus hopefully I'll still get better gas mileage.

Simply because.

Comment

• Kreter
                    232 I6
                    • Jul 10, 2014

As I'm designing my motor mounts on Autocad to be cut out by a local plasma cutter, I got to thinking, maybe some one out there like a set as well. The ones I'm designing will be made to bolt onto the factory frame location for motor mounts. I will take care of issue with the steering shaft clearance and I will do my best to work away from doing anything to the factory heater. Things to note though, I am making this a tow rig, not a road road machine, the engine will sit lower then some may like. I will be using an electric fan, so mechanical fans may be too long as I like to be able to reach behind the engine with my hands. I won't promise that they will work for your 6.2 in your jeep the way you want it. They are built for my use, I can just have a couple extra cut out at the same time if anyone would be interested.

Comment

• thechier86
                      327 Rambler
                      • Mar 16, 2009

If the oil pan is high enough to clear the front axle without a lift kit, I'd love a set of those motor mounts, as long as the price isn't too high...
                      Pm me if you don't mind making an extra set, and let me know how much they'd be before I commit to them, lol.
                      I plan to install a 6.2 in my waggy over the winter....
                      buckle up, i wanna try somethin...

Comment

• Kreter
                        232 I6
                        • Jul 10, 2014

I'm not doing a lift kit, I'm guessing they won't cost me any more than 20 bucks a set to have cut out, I can weld them up for a few bucks, or ship them to you in pieces. I'll get them designed and post some pictures. of what I have designed once I get this bloody front clip off.

Comment

• thechier86
                          327 Rambler
                          • Mar 16, 2009

Sweet- keep me posted. I hope to have a 6.2 in my junk this spring...
                          buckle up, i wanna try somethin...

Comment

• DieselSJ
                            304 AMC
                            • May 19, 2003

You might be interested in this -
                            -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
                            -99 XJ Limited.
                            -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises
                            -Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• Kreter
                              232 I6
                              • Jul 10, 2014

Cool find, it looks like it would bolt to my 6.2 intake, only issue is the work i'd have to do to remove all the gear stuff from the intake... granted, I'm doing a completely restro, what is a little extra labor

Comment

Working...
                              X