How much money have you sank into your FSJ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mokurt
    258 I6
    • Feb 23, 2014

Paid $1750 for the '67
    $250 for registration and tax
    $110 rear axle seals
    $40 transfer case adaptor seals
    $20 transfer case seals
    $60 for door weather striping that did not work
    $60 carb rebuild
    $40 electric fuel pump
    $30 oil change
    $25 transfer case and diff fluid
    $20 transmission fluid
    $50 tune up parts
    $300 on extra parts

Still needed a windshield
    Motor smoked bad
    turn signals did not work

Does yearly registration and insurance count?

Sold it for $3000

Got an extra tailgate when I bought it.I'm keeping the tailgate to make a bench.
    1967 J2000
    1985 CJ7

Comment

• 440sixpack
      327 Rambler
      • Jul 21, 2016

When I'm done I'll have over 20K in my '78 J10 Golden Eagle. more than it's worth I know but I don't care if it takes 30K.

I've wanted one of these since I was 16 in 1978 and at last I will. I'll have it until I die so resale isn't an issue.

Comment

• Nikkormat
        232 I6
        • Jan 03, 2015

Kept track when I was buying the 91 and putting it on the road. As it sits today with a practically new Holley 2300 and after some horse trading during the purchase (flipped an ATV to the guy I bought it from and got $300 off the purchase price.) Insurance and registration included it was on the road for $1200!

Alot cheaper than getting my Cherokee on the road, I'm probably 10 grand into it and it is going to get parted out and turned into a truck now.

Comment

• FPG-funpergallon
          230 Tornado
          • Sep 05, 2016

More dollars than sense, but I saved it from the junkyard and am feeling good about that! Questioning the wisdom of saving all those receipts though, hope my social director does not come across that folder.

Comment

• bufurd
            327 Rambler
            • Apr 13, 2008

North of 50, but I/we (thanks Zack) built it because that's what I wanted to drive. I've put over 85,000 miles on it in the last 2 years, I have no regrets. 2 more years and it will have paid for itself.
            Current fleet
            Abner-73 He started it all in 1979 (plow truck now)
            Bufurd-69 Fixed up to take Abners place as DD
            Delta-70 Built for fun, 455 Olds, T-18, D-20, 4:10 gears
            Humpty-74 J-20 4BT, NV4500, 30+MPG
            07 JK Wife bought new...
            13 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk, wifes new ride

Comment

• brielly
              350 Buick
              • Dec 30, 2002

Over 15 years and three cherokees, I'd rather not tally it up but its probably north of 10k.
              For Sale Custom built reproduction Rhino Grilles http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...24#post1676924PM me for details or email [email protected]

1982 Cherokee Chief 258 6 cyl, AX-15, NP208, mopar mpfi, hydroboost brakes.

1983 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 258 6cyl*SOLD*

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                Administrator
                • Oct 31, 2016

I've had my mine for about 6 weeks now and am keeping very detailed records on it. I'll spare you all the little purchases (nuts/bolt/vacuum hose, etc)

Jeep: $1000
                Tune up parts and gaskets for oil leaks from Rock auto/amazon:~$150
                DMV (title transfer fee, sales tax):$89
                2bbl intake manifold: $41
                2 bbl carb: $43

Actual Total: $1,391.67
                If it passes smog (and I think I have everything I need to get it through sometime shortly after thanksgiving) I should be driving a sweet Cherokee for cheapo!

Next plans will be to buy some Craigslist rims/tires and clean the crap out of it (if it passes smog).
                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• selkplitt
                  232 I6
                  • Sep 01, 2010

At about 13,000 now. New engine was 4000 of it. And I ain't done yet neither. I'll be over 20 when I am done with it. But that will be over the course of years.
                  http://s1191.photobucket.com/albums/z469/selkplitt/
                  1989 Grand Waggy stock
                  2007 Commander Rock Mountain Edition
                  2021 GMC Sierra 3.0 Duramax

Comment

• ShagWagon
                    350 Buick
                    • Apr 10, 2016

Not enough it seems!
                    87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• fsj454
                      Long time member
                      • Jan 02, 2015

Money can not buy Love.....
                      1982 cherokee nt. 454. nv4500 .205. dana 60 f+r. twin stick.hydroboost.hydrolic clutch.rock ram.traction bar.warn 12000 winch.4 wheel disc.flip kit.soa.high steer.cross over steer.4.56 detroit locker.35 spline rear alloy axles. 37s .1990 grand wagoneer aka trusty rusty

Comment

• JSJJ388
                        232 I6
                        • Jun 24, 2017

Eh, what the hell. Ive probably spent and will spend the least or at least close to the least of anyone. I bought it because a buddy at work who knows my jeep addiction said it was going to the crusher if I didnt come get it. Got it for use in the bad weather and to drag my ZJ (lets not discuss that total ) to the trails and back, and also, these things are just cool. Here it goes.

Spent -

$150 - purchase
                        $20 - for a buddy to spend 2 hours helping me drag it out of the woods
                        $50 - fluids
                        $10 - bungee chords
                        $??? - my time

sub total - $210

Going to maybe spend -

$150 - get a title
                        $500? - odds and ends

sub total - $650

total - $860

Waaaayyyyy cheaper than my wifes car and 1000xs cooler. Even she is warming up to it.
                        JSJJ388
                        EAGLE SCOUT '15
                        1986 GRAND WAGONEER - 360 (NAME TBD - PROJECT)
                        1994 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE - 4.SLOW (GREEN GREMLIN-TOY)
                        1994 DODGE DAKOTA - 3.9L (OL' FAITHFUL - DD)

Comment

• itselliot
                          350 Buick
                          • Aug 28, 2010

Originally posted by itselliot
                          I just sold Gertrude(1990 GW) for ,.....I think>>>>>>a small profit after 6 years of dialing her in. It was fun,.....and now I can focus on the J20.......I think I have both A.D.D. and O.C.D......drive on.

Update:11/26/2017
                          The J20 is pushing $30K......no wiring as of today and no interior......
                          Painless wiring will add ~$600 this month.
                          If the PM's are full,...try e mail!
                          [email protected]
                          616 four 03 44 0 five
                          '78 J-20 401 Q/T not quite stock anymore....Frame off Resto Mod..Super Cab nearing completion. SOMEDAY
                          "90 GW 360/727/229/3:31s 2" lift (SOLD in 2015)
                          '78 CJ7 Built from Scratch over a 7 year span.

Comment

• Pillow
                            232 I6
                            • Jun 19, 2017

Still in the works... But probably close to 10k +/- before it is semi decent.

I'm starting with a good body but the rest is rough.
                            1983 Cherokee Pioneer - in progress LS 5.3 w LS9 cam, NP208, & SM465
                            1968 J2000 Gladiator truck (organ donor for Cherokee & J2000)
                            1973 J4000 truck - potential Gambler 500 or farm beast.

Comment

• JTruck-Connor
                              232 I6
                              • Jan 29, 2017

I still refuse to answer these questions, because it would require me to total everything I have spent on it and I don't consider this necessary information...

I got it for a grand.... then fixed the tcase... then redid brakes, doing suspension, got some headers... gonna get a title for it...

"But it's so cheap!" <-- My ongoing justification for everything. Don't wanna know if it's true.
                              1976 J20 "Plain Jane" - Original 401, TH400, BW1339
                              Build thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=182038

Jeep looking for new home:
                              http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=187181

My Honda was my motivation to finish my Jeep Now it's just reality.

Comment

• Phils67
                                232 I6
                                • Mar 24, 2018

I have saved every reciept. Just took over an hour and totalled it up and my wife looked like she was going to point blank me in the face with a grenade launcher haha $22,486.14 plus shipping and handling where applicable, not counting my labor over the last decade, and thats not even bodywork yet..well, what can i say, its a never ending labor of love.

Comment

Working...
                                X