• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • orlando9000
    232 I6
    • Jan 01, 2011

Slight medium pitched squeal?

Hi all,
    I've noticed a squeal when I coast. I only hear it when I take my foot off the gas. When I press the accelerator, even just softly, the squeal goes away. The squeal is not very loud and not very high-pitched but it's one of those things that's buggin' me a bit. I pop the hood and I can seem to figure our where it's coming from. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!
    "The urge to destroy is also an urge to create." -Bakunin

1983 Jeep Wagoneer Limited Chestnut Brown Metallic on Nutmeg
    1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Dark Baltic Blue Metallic on Sand -Sold
    2003 Jeep TJ Sport Black on Slate Gray
  • gotdirt
    230 Tornado
    • Sep 28, 2016

I had the same issue, replaced all of the belts and it went away, don't know if it was just a gazed belt or the tensions were just off. Either way it helped me.
    1979 Chief 360/TH400

Comment

• FSJunkie
      The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
      • Jan 09, 2011

Does it happen soon after you start the engine and turn on the air conditioning?
      '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
        350 Buick
        • Feb 15, 2010

you have a vacuum leak somewhere, foot off gas = high vacuum

Comment

• supradrifter
          232 I6
          • Dec 31, 2016

If it happens when you're sitting at idle as well then I would lean towards a vacuum leak also. Check the back of the intake manifold; I had a similar high pitched sucking noise that ended up being an uncapped vacuum port on the manifold that the PO didn't cap well enough. Didn't cause a drivability issue, just a nuisance.

Comment

Working...
          X