• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • youngjeeper
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jan 24, 2003

Tire Talk

It's probably been 8-9 years since I put tires on the Wag. I was up-to-date on the good and the bad back then. Now I'm looking for recommendations.

East Coast wheeling. Rocks, sometimes slick. Need something that has a tough sidewall, but still some flex at around 10psi. Jeep rarely sees the road (maybe 20 miles/yr).

Looking for 36"-37" range. Any pics and suggestions would be great!

Thank you.
    88' GW Stock & Mint
    77' CJ-7
    http://gfsj.org/forums
    Choptop/Crew Cab Build-up
    http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=93389
  • Dmntxn77
    Hey watch this...
    • Nov 19, 2004

LTB's are my all time favorite! Ive ran 31"s and 33"s on my ZJ and now my 35"s are on the way. They should be here by the end of the week.

I can shoot you a pic of them when they get here if you want. I wont have any wheeling pics for a couple more weeks because I just now dropping my built 5.9 in.

I can upload a couple wheelin pics of the 33"s on my ZJ if you want...

Comment

• Bjtgtr
      232 I6
      • Jan 03, 2012

I was wheeling at Rausch Creek last weekend and would have to say that over 50% of the wheeling rigs there were running Pitbull Rockers. My bother has a set of 42's on his rig and they work so well. If I ever get a dedicated set of wheeling tires it would be the Bais ply rockers or a set of Swamper LTB's

Here's his rig w/ the Rockers. He's running recentered H1 beadlock rims at 10psi. The tires conform very nicely over the rocks

$0.02
      Last edited by Bjtgtr; 09-14-2013, 01:23 PM.
      -BJ-
      1989 Grand Wagoneer FOR SALE. PM me for details
      D60f, D70r, 360/727/300 twin sticked, 37"s, 4w discs, 64" rear springs, RSF, SOA, blah, blah, blah

2001 F-250 CC SB 4x4 7.3L Powerstroke DD

Comment

• brushawg
        258 I6
        • Dec 17, 2006

I second the rockers!
        Just
        Expect
        Every
        Problem

Got to love them

Comment

• austinaubinoe
          360 AMC
          • Aug 08, 2010

man seeing a leaf sprung rig get all flexy like that is just the best!

If your looking for a radial that sees alot of street time the SSR's are very nice! A little stiff, but worth the compromise for how many miles you can get out of them.

avoid regular tsl radials. Side walls pop to easy and they are wearing faster then any other tire ive owned (they are on my TJ).

EDIT: oh man you never drive it on the street! Get these! SX= sidewall extreme! http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=15&g=1
          Last edited by austinaubinoe; 09-16-2013, 08:39 PM.
          Austin

1991 Hunter Green Grand Wagoneer
          5.9 2bbl-727-NP229-TFI-30x9.5 Firestone M/T's-Brush Guard-tire mount
          SOON: 4350 and cast iron intake

Others:
          -1994 Baby Grand
          -2000 XJ cherokee on Tons
          -1953 REO M35A2 6x6
          -1955 Willys Pickup

Originally posted by rustywagoneers_com
          i am not an addict, i can stop anytime.
          i dont have a problem, you people have the problem.

Comment

• Sambo
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Sep 25, 2001

yeah i love the hell out of my pitbulls which are 42"as well! wet or muddy doesnt matter still hooks better than most tires!
            a buddy of mine runs 35"s on his cj same results.air down to near single digi's hard to beat!
            77 chero DEAD.
            84wag,360,tf727,???! possiblities are d300 flipped and a ford d44 hp with coils

Comment

• QBALL
              232 I6
              • Dec 14, 2010

Anybody not running beadlocks using a bead sealer ??
              Thanks

Comment

• Bjtgtr
                232 I6
                • Jan 03, 2012

Originally posted by austinaubinoe
                man seeing a leaf sprung rig get all flexy like that is just the best!

If your looking for a radial that sees alot of street time the SSR's are very nice! A little stiff, but worth the compromise for how many miles you can get out of them.

avoid regular tsl radials. Side walls pop to easy and they are wearing faster then any other tire ive owned (they are on my TJ).

EDIT: oh man you never drive it on the street! Get these! SX= sidewall extreme! http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=15&g=1

Shoot the Moon?. From that angle it looks the quarry at Rausch Creek
                -BJ-
                1989 Grand Wagoneer FOR SALE. PM me for details
                D60f, D70r, 360/727/300 twin sticked, 37"s, 4w discs, 64" rear springs, RSF, SOA, blah, blah, blah

2001 F-250 CC SB 4x4 7.3L Powerstroke DD

Comment

• austinaubinoe
                  360 AMC
                  • Aug 08, 2010

Originally posted by Bjtgtr
                  Shoot the Moon?. From that angle it looks the quarry at Rausch Creek
                  I believe shoot the moon is right behind me. Ive only ever seen buggies go up it. Maybe one day with bigger tires and a trailer. Right now its my DD
                  Austin

1991 Hunter Green Grand Wagoneer
                  5.9 2bbl-727-NP229-TFI-30x9.5 Firestone M/T's-Brush Guard-tire mount
                  SOON: 4350 and cast iron intake

Others:
                  -1994 Baby Grand
                  -2000 XJ cherokee on Tons
                  -1953 REO M35A2 6x6
                  -1955 Willys Pickup

Originally posted by rustywagoneers_com
                  i am not an addict, i can stop anytime.
                  i dont have a problem, you people have the problem.

Comment

• youngjeeper
                    AMC 4 OH! 1
                    • Jan 24, 2003

austinaubinoe - I currently have TSL radials.. I've gone through two from sidewall slices. But 2 in 9 years.. can't complain too much.

Pitbull's are looking nice. I remember all the hype when they came out - and since I'm still hearing about them, that must be a great thing! Will be keeping my eyes open for a nice used set after the new year. Since I only drive the Jeep about 2 times a year, don't want to drop the dough on freshies.

Thanks for the input!
                    88' GW Stock & Mint
                    77' CJ-7
                    http://gfsj.org/forums
                    Choptop/Crew Cab Build-up
                    http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=93389

Comment

Dan,

Don't do it. Pitbulls are cool out west but they just don't work here unless you get above 39.5". You can try the texas cut on them but I wouldn't mess with them. I've had them and I would suggest something else. The compound is soft and on dry rocks they're not bad but once it gets slick you're gonna wish you had something with more bite. I would stick with a SX or LTB. LTBs are pretty stiff. I'm running a 43" SX right now and I love them. Best tire I've had to date.
                      Places to Wheel in the Southeast

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
                      I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
                      Originally posted by johnny019
                      I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.

Comment

Working...
                      X