• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZackN920
    350 Buick
    • Nov 18, 2015

Exhaust flapper valve thing.....

Yea, I don't know what this is called but it's a open/close valve between the exhaust manifold and the Y pipe. My old Dakota has one as well, that opens and closes as it should.
    The one on the Wagoneer (pass side) is rusted solid. I don't know if it's in the open position or half or closed...
    What were these for?

I've got a pic that I took when I changed the oil again today.

I hope it's rusted up in the Open position....is it?

In the background you can see a rubber hose. It comes out of the firewall...What's that for? Is it for the AC condenser? The drip hose or no?
    1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
    Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
    ...in pieces for more rust repair...
  • Strode
    1st Chair, Cowbell
    • Nov 08, 2011

That's the temp controlled spring that closed when cold to force hot exhaust thru the pass thru on the intake manifold. When it warms up, the flapper is supposed to open and allow exhaust gas thru the pipe.

I can't tell if it's stuck open or closed.

You could buy a cheap thermo laser tester at Harbor Freight and start the Jeep, and compare exhaust temps between the 2 pipes out of the exhaust manifolds as it warms up to see if it's open or closed.

The drain hose is from the AC evaporator housing drain.
    Brad
    (*Allowed to post while failed 'I am not a Bot' test results are under appeal)

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• Ristow
      • Jan 20, 2006

it's in the mostly open position.
      Originally posted by Hankrod
      Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
      ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
      I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Tripwire
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Jul 30, 2000

pm me i may have one in good shape
        Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• JeepJeepster
          350 Buick
          • Sep 04, 2014

I THINK that appears to be mostly open. When I had mine off I wired it open so it will never close. Sometime when Im around it I can look and see if the weight is pointed down like that, but it may be awhile.
          2004 Jeep Liberty
          1998 Jeep ZJ 5.9
          1994 Jeep ZJ I6
          1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
            350 Buick
            • Feb 15, 2010

check rock auto, i think they have them

Comment

• mokurt
              258 I6
              • Feb 23, 2014

Looks like that it can be removed.

I would remove it and try to free it up.Maybe soak it in some PB Blaster.
              1967 J2000
              1985 CJ7

Comment

• Pepper45
                230 Tornado
                • Oct 17, 2015

I don't play with rusted exhaust manifolds anymore, so when I had my mechanic mill my manifolds flat again and put in new gaskets and donuts, I had him eliminate the heat riser as well. Well worth it IMHO, while I'm sure it doesn't warm up quite as fast, I won't have to worry about it leaking ever again, or rusting up and getting stuck.

Comment

• serehill
                  Gone,Never Forgotten.
                  • Nov 22, 2009

Yeah

I removed mine too.

80 Cherokee
                  360 ci 727 with
                  Comp cams 270 h
                  NP208
                  Edlebrock performer intake
                  Holley 4180
                  Msd total multi spark.
                  4" rusty's springs
                  Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• ZackN920
                    350 Buick
                    • Nov 18, 2015

ya know what guy's. As long as it's most the way open, I'm not going to worry about it. It's not leaking exhaust under the hood...at least that i've noticed.
                    1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
                    Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
                    ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• KilroyJC
                      232 I6
                      • Feb 08, 2016

Wire it into position so it doesn't move and bEcome "mostly closed". . .
                      1963 1414 Armstrong Power Steering & Windows, no radio/reverse lights/hazards/seatbelts

1993 Chevy Caprice Wagon -1971 Honda CL175 - 1978 Honda CX500 - Bobcat 610

Gone but not forgotten:
                      1975 Chevy Impala Sport Coupe; 1933 Chrysler CQ coupe; 1970 AMC Ambassador Wagon; 1985 Chevy Caprice Wagon; 1975 Starcraft Holiday18 w/1976 Evinrude 70hp

Comment

• fsj454
                        Long time member
                        • Jan 02, 2015

coat hanger

I have a 1990 grand wagoneer that is wired open for over 2 years no problem....
                        1982 cherokee nt. 454. nv4500 .205. dana 60 f+r. twin stick.hydroboost.hydrolic clutch.rock ram.traction bar.warn 12000 winch.4 wheel disc.flip kit.soa.high steer.cross over steer.4.56 detroit locker.35 spline rear alloy axles. 37s .1990 grand wagoneer aka trusty rusty

Comment

I took thew flap out of mine long ago and welded the holes for the shaft closed.
                          Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• Don S
                            • Feb 06, 2002

It's really strange that Auto makers would waste money putting those stupid things on cars and trucks...

The passage ways get clogged with carbon and then don't work at all...

Yes I took mine out but I live in north central Texas.

But if I lived up north were it gets to zero in the winter I would make sure it worked. It warms the gasoline and makes for better combustion when the spark hits and saves a little fuel on the very cold days.

Have a warm one.. Don S..
                            Sold our 1976 Wagoneer 406, MC4300, TH400, QT, TruTrac, 2" lift, 31x10.50s, duel Optimas,
                            It?s took us over 161 Colorado Mountain Passes, 3 Jeep Jamboree USAs & 2 Ouray Invasions from 1985 to 2010
                            ACRONYMS & ABBREVIATIONS HERE

Comment

• DBX11
                              258 I6
                              • May 18, 2009

After some rounds of pblaster I was able to run my truck for a few min to warm it up then some channel locks broke it semi loose to stay rusted open. I did break the weight off on my first attempt using a hammer and 2x4 so be cautious it will be hot

Comment

Working...
                              X