• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThisGuyUKnow
    350 Buick
    • Mar 25, 2008

Quadratrac np219 in a Ls Swap?

I'm at a bit of a roadblock on my project. I am slapping an ls into my Cherokee and trying to figure out the most cost effective solution for a tc.

I have a Chevy np 261 that came with my drive train. Ideally I'd like to use because it is already attached. But it's from a 2000 and the vss is just like a sensor that read a ring and I need something to drive the mechanical speedo otherwise I'll have to convert to an electronic Guage. What I am finding is that most compatible Chevy TCS will not have a mechanical drive. Apparently they used a weird 4 bolt tc up to the early 90s.

I have found boxes that run a speedo cable off of an electronic input but so far that have been expensive. I can probably make my own version of this with an Arduino but that's a pain in the butt as well.

Finally I have the 219 that was in the Cherokee (1980 drivers drop ). In all honesty I think it would be cool to keep the quadratrac but obviously the spline count on the input shaft is off.

Which brings me to my purpose of this post, I cannot find a heck of a lot of info on the 219 besides a sentence on the Novak site. The bolt pattern is new venture so all I'd need to run it is a correct input shaft but I have been having a difficult time finding anything that will work. It's the weekend so I can't just call Novak or AA.

If anyone has ever had these apart and can chime in I am trying to determine if either I can find a 27 spline input for the 219 or if I can steal an input from like a different new venture transfer case that has the correct spline.
    '85 CJ7 Laredo- Rebuilt 360, Tuned Port Injection, T-176, D300, W/T 3.31 w/Trac Loc, 31x10.5x15 BFGs
  • Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
    Cherokee Outlaw
    • Jan 10, 2006

Novak:

This is assuming you're using the 4L60E
    -Jonny B.
    1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
    AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
    NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
    F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
    R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
    1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
    1979 Wagoneer - Sold
    1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• ThisGuyUKnow
      350 Buick
      • Mar 25, 2008

Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
      Novak:

This is assuming you're using the 4L60E
      Oh wow. 600! The electronic driver is cheaper than that! Or for v that price I'd go dakota digital!
      '85 CJ7 Laredo- Rebuilt 360, Tuned Port Injection, T-176, D300, W/T 3.31 w/Trac Loc, 31x10.5x15 BFGs

Comment

• bkilby
        350 Buick
        • Jan 10, 2016

Knowing what transmission you're working with would help.
        1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

There are no "cheap" adapters. Honestly, you're probably WAY ahead to grab something like a Dodge NP241DLD or DHD and swap the input shaft. I think the 219 is probably going to be a bit on the weak side behind any kind of modern motor.

aa
          1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• babywag
            out of order
            • Jun 08, 2005

I would not spend a dime to keep a mechanical speedo.
            Spend the money on dakota digital, or roll your own gauge panel.
            Keep/run the transfer case that came with trans.
            Tony
            88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• bkilby
              350 Buick
              • Jan 10, 2016

Originally posted by Cecil14
              There are no "cheap" adapters. Honestly, you're probably WAY ahead to grab something like a Dodge NP241DLD or DHD and swap the input shaft. I think the 219 is probably going to be a bit on the weak side behind any kind of modern motor.
              aa
              The Dodge and Chevy 6 bolt pattern is not the same. It would have to be a hybrid Chevy front, Dodge rear tcase. If that would even work...

Comment

Really? I thought all the 6 bolt NP cases used the same pattern, more or less. I think I had heard that some had one bolt that was a bit offset, but could be wallowed out to fit.

For that matter, though, a clocking ring could easily solve a simple bolt pattern difference, especially if you're already changing the input gear.

aa
                1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• bkilby
                  350 Buick
                  • Jan 10, 2016

A clocking ring isn't a bad idea.
                  About 2 months ago, I was given a NP241C for my swap and it wouldn't fit. I would have to clock the tcase where it was pointing to the ground. A NP241D bolted right in with my Dodge transmission.

Comment

Originally posted by bkilby
                    A clocking ring isn't a bad idea.
                    About 2 months ago, I was given a NP241C for my swap and it wouldn't fit. I would have to clock the tcase where it was pointing to the ground. A NP241D bolted right in with my Dodge transmission.
                    That leads me more to believe again that the bolt patterns are the same, just clocked in a different rotation. Clocking ring to the rescue!

aa

Comment

• ThisGuyUKnow
                      350 Buick
                      • Mar 25, 2008

im kinda settling on using an np208 in my project. I am using a nv3500 AND initially i was wrong on the spline count. I need 32 spline input shaft tc. Id still really like to retain my Np219 but I cant find any info on the input shaft for a 219. I know 208 32 spline shaft is available after market.

Comment

• Pillow
                        232 I6
                        • Jun 19, 2017

I'm in a similar situation. Here is my oddball work around, not done but in process.

LS 5.3
                        SM465 manual transmission. (32 spline like the TH400)
                        Reusing the NP208-AMC with a 32 spline input shaft change.

The AMC input shaft (IDK what spline) but does not work with Chevy parts.

The 6 bolt is universal! BUT IDK the clocking yet. I will measure that today and report back.

IMO retaining the mechanical speedo, stock TC shifter, and stock rear SYE is worth the effort. But I like a stock dash and interior, so YMMV.

Easy would be the 241C (the 208s successor and share similar guts) as it all bolts up. But electric speedo and no SYE rear.

Sorry if this is ramble and untried. The 208 is on the basement table to rebuild once the weather gets cold enough to push me out of the driveway. (Brrr) ... So give me a few weeks
                        1983 Cherokee Pioneer - in progress LS 5.3 w LS9 cam, NP208, & SM465
                        1968 J2000 Gladiator truck (organ donor for Cherokee & J2000)
                        1973 J4000 truck - potential Gambler 500 or farm beast.

Comment

• acct21
                          327 Rambler
                          • May 20, 2014

Originally posted by Pillow
                          I'm in a similar situation. Here is my oddball work around, not done but in process.

LS 5.3
                          SM465 manual transmission. (32 spline like the TH400)
                          Reusing the NP208-AMC with a 32 spline input shaft change.

The AMC input shaft (IDK what spline) but does not work with Chevy parts.

The 6 bolt is universal! BUT IDK the clocking yet. I will measure that today and report back.

IMO retaining the mechanical speedo, stock TC shifter, and stock rear SYE is worth the effort. But I like a stock dash and interior, so YMMV.

Easy would be the 241C (the 208s successor and share similar guts) as it all bolts up. But electric speedo and no SYE rear.
                          The AM General 242 already has the 32 spline input -- should bolt right up. SYE available, and I think they accept a mechanical speedo gear (or the savings on just the input shaft alone would buy you an electronic/mechanical speedo conversion).
                          1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)

Comment

• Pillow
                            232 I6
                            • Jun 19, 2017

The 242 GM only came in Hummers. The Jeep 242 would need substantial modifications to fit a GM plus the SYE.

The 32 spline input shaft is only $65 for the 208/241... SYE kit $350.

Am I missing something on the 242?

I wish Photobucket did not implode on itself as I could post pics of the mishmash of parts.
                            1983 Cherokee Pioneer - in progress LS 5.3 w LS9 cam, NP208, & SM465
                            1968 J2000 Gladiator truck (organ donor for Cherokee & J2000)
                            1973 J4000 truck - potential Gambler 500 or farm beast.

Comment

• ThisGuyUKnow
                              350 Buick
                              • Mar 25, 2008

Pillow. I confirmed that the 219 and 208 Share the same dimension input shaft. So I'll be attempting to swap out 32 spline shaft. I haven't done extensive measuring in the tail shaft of the 3500, on initial eyeball checking it looks like the 208s input shaft sticks further out into the tail housing than the original gm np261that came behind it. If anything I may need a clocking ring to take up the excess solace. I'll know more once I get the new input shaft In my hand.

On a side note. While I'm I the tc I was thinking maybe I should go ahead and at the least change the chain. Everything looks visually good. I don't know if it is really worth my time right now to replace all the seals and bearings.

Comment

Working...
                              X