• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KilroyJC
    232 I6
    • Feb 08, 2016

Steel carports

Much as I would love to put up a 25x50 shop building, sometimes I do have to live in reality. As our NC house is in an association, and there is an existing 18x18 shed on the property, which is NOT a garage... I cannot put up another "building" but a carport can be construed as a "temporary structure" since it just sits on the ground. I cannot pour another slab, but I can make a nice bed of QP or pea gravel.

The questions are:

-Can anyone recommend a vendor?
    -Has anyone any experience with the "Free Installations" some of the online vendors offer?
    -I am looking at 20wX21d as the max I can fit in the place I can fit it. How difficult is this as a DIY project?

All suggestions/comments/opinions gratefully accepted!!!
    1963 1414 Armstrong Power Steering & Windows, no radio/reverse lights/hazards/seatbelts

1993 Chevy Caprice Wagon -1971 Honda CL175 - 1978 Honda CX500 - Bobcat 610

Gone but not forgotten:
    1975 Chevy Impala Sport Coupe; 1933 Chrysler CQ coupe; 1970 AMC Ambassador Wagon; 1985 Chevy Caprice Wagon; 1975 Starcraft Holiday18 w/1976 Evinrude 70hp
  • Wlkr350
    232 I6
    • Feb 18, 2016

Kilroy,
    I purchased one slightly larger than you specified from 64 marketplace in Nashville, NC. The man that runs the place is super nice. The company was easy to deal with as well. IIRC they charged 5% of the cost of the building for install fee. In my opinion it was money well spent! Three guys showed up on time on the scheduled install date and had the carport up and they were gone within 2 hrs. I know I could have installed it myself but would have taken me the majority of a weekend to put up.
    1984 CJ7 (restored)
    1982 Wagoneer Brougham (current project)

Comment

• Tripwire
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Jul 30, 2000

i would definitely find a way to anchor it on all 4 sides perhaps a post hole with a long bolt or allthread stub and concrete?
      Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
        304 AMC
        • Jul 20, 2014

I would put pavers down over some sort of rock.
        1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
        Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• KilroyJC
          232 I6
          • Feb 08, 2016

I am also trying to find "Made in USA" tags on these things, which isn't the easiest to do anymore.

Wlkr350- that outfit by you looks good, but it is clear in the other end of NC - the fuel costs alone would kill any savings! We are an hour+ west of Asheville. I will most likely let the vendor put it up.

Tripwire - definitely need a hold down system with the winds through the mountains. I figured that, to keep with the "temporary structure " theme, of a couple of eye bolts or a rebar staple set in concrete with HD ratchet straps ( slipped through PVC Pipe for UV protection). Originally thought about steel cable and turnbuckles, but that might not be viewed as temporary.

Jeeper - pavers would be great! Except that the rest of the parking area is gravel, and if I did under the carport, then the lovely lady who let me get the Wag would want the WHOLE THING done in pavers. Hmmm... Pavers or Wag repairs? GRAVEL IT IS!
          1963 1414 Armstrong Power Steering & Windows, no radio/reverse lights/hazards/seatbelts

Gone but not forgotten:
          1975 Chevy Impala Sport Coupe; 1933 Chrysler CQ coupe; 1970 AMC Ambassador Wagon; 1985 Chevy Caprice Wagon; 1975 Starcraft Holiday18 w/1976 Evinrude 70hp

Comment

• KilroyJC
            232 I6
            • Feb 08, 2016

Another question

I am guessing that this might be a little noisy when it rains. Should I spray the underside with undercoating? Or maybe get it spray-urethane-insulation-coated?

Gone but not forgotten:

Comment

• Wlkr350
              232 I6
              • Feb 18, 2016

My personal opinion is I enjoy the sound of rain on a tin roof so I never really thought about trying to muffle the sound. To each his own though.
              1984 CJ7 (restored)

Comment

• KilroyJC
                232 I6
                • Feb 08, 2016

Originally posted by Wlkr350
                My personal opinion is I enjoy the sound of rain on a tin roof so I never really thought about trying to muffle the sound. To each his own though.
                Me too! But I am not the only component of this household . . . Happy wife, happily life?

Gone but not forgotten:

Comment

• Wlkr350
                  232 I6
                  • Feb 18, 2016

Not married but I understand.....completely!
                  1984 CJ7 (restored)

Comment

• J10blues
                    258 I6
                    • Mar 21, 2014

Originally posted by KilroyJC
                    Much as I would love to put up a 25x50 shop building, sometimes I do have to live in reality. As our NC house is in an association, and there is an existing 18x18 shed on the property, which is NOT a garage... I cannot put up another "building" but a carport can be construed as a "temporary structure" since it just sits on the ground. I cannot pour another slab, but I can make a nice bed of QP or pea gravel.

The questions are:

-Can anyone recommend a vendor?
                    -Has anyone any experience with the "Free Installations" some of the online vendors offer?
                    -I am looking at 20wX21d as the max I can fit in the place I can fit it. How difficult is this as a DIY project?

All suggestions/comments/opinions gratefully accepted!!!
                    Have you considered a tubular frame you can assemble yourself? I have a simple setup with these fittings that are 1 5/8" diameter and some butler type siding screwed on top and it's pretty sturdy. If you're interested I can help get them for you here and have it shipped, they're not that heavy so I'm pretty sure they can be sent USPO. Just a suggestion.

Ben
                    77 J10
                    360 complete rebuild
                    TH400
                    Eddy Performer intake/Non EGR/CompCams 268 H
                    Eddy 1406
                    MSD 4AL/MSD 8519Dist/TFI coil
                    Holley fuel pump
                    MagnaFlow exhaust

02 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Comment

Working...