• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blazer3664
    350 Buick
    • Mar 08, 2009

cold air/snorkel design ideas

Got an idea in my head (have had for a while) for my dual snorkel. Just wondering what you all might think.
    Make something kinda like the one at the bottom of this post. (cant get it where I wanted it)
    but with one coming in the front left side and the other from the right rear side. This would in effect cause a bit of a "swirl", not that I am worried about that, but more important (IMHO), would keep the two from creating pressure against one another as they enter.

I have found a good deal on three "open sitting on the shelf" but not used Safari Snorkel tops for a bill. I figure thats not bad considering the run about $90 ea from most the off road shops.

So once the filter "box" is out of the way, and I have the inlet parts, I am thinking some flex tube to get it over to the fender. Then it gets fun.

The only good place to get out of the engine compartment on my rig is right through,or MAYBE just below, the hood hinge brackets. The passenger side will run under the heater box and out, the drivers would go over the hydro-boost and out. Not as bad as it sounds, but it definitely limits me to 3".

Fabricating the elbow/fender mount transition may be a pain. It would need to fit close to the fender so it dont stick out and catch everything going down the trail. It would also need to have a smooth transition to the 3" under the hood.

Then take 3.5-4" exhaust pipe, cut a strip about 1/4 of the diameter out of it down the length and turn it around then weld it back in. That would make a "recess" that would let it sit a bit closer to the A pillar. At the top the bend and elbow to fit the "head" would have to go back to 3" so the heads fit.

SOooooo, what are you alls thoughts?

Thanks,

Jim
    Attached Files
    Last edited by blazer3664; 09-11-2011, 10:26 PM.
    modified flares, removable top, OBA w/200psi tank,
    LQ4, 4L80e,NWF doubler w/upside down 203
    SOA w/ D44s F+R for now
    H1 wheels+tires (cut), hydroboost brakes
    custom shackle flip
    W/F150 springs
    -----Coming Soon-----
    snorkels,
    OX'd D60/14B-FF
  • 5quarter
    327 Rambler
    • Aug 26, 2006

check out Saturn surplus they have fording kits for the m715
    saturnsurplusinventory.com

356 M715 M725 Fording Tube 11657299
    AA107
    Olds Cool

Praise the Lowered

Comment

• bowtieman55
      304 AMC
      • Jan 09, 2006

There's a cold-air duct on the driver's side...same as the (factory used) passenger side. This setup is not ideal for water crossings. AMHIK.

Comment

• The Colonel
        360 AMC
        • Feb 21, 2010

I decided to add a snorkel to my grand wagoneer. It's still a work in progress. I know that others have done it but it's a little different. Parts List (Still Growing): Spectre Performance 9849 - Spectre Performance Universal Modular Air Intake Plenums (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPE-9849/) Spectre Performance

Depending on what you are going to do with your rig & if you don't mind cutting it- I always though cutting into the bulkhead at the cowl would be a good place to get the fresh air from.

Comment

• blazer3664
          350 Buick
          • Mar 08, 2009

Mine would be a "just in case" for water crossings.
          With SOA and 37"s I wouldnt intentionally go deep enough to suck water, but stuff happens.
          No problem with cutting, already cut enough, little more wont hurt.

Off to work,

Jim
          modified flares, removable top, OBA w/200psi tank,
          LQ4, 4L80e,NWF doubler w/upside down 203
          SOA w/ D44s F+R for now
          H1 wheels+tires (cut), hydroboost brakes
          custom shackle flip
          W/F150 springs
          -----Coming Soon-----
          snorkels,
          OX'd D60/14B-FF

Comment