• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newwagwheeler
    232 I6
    • Aug 31, 2007

high steer conversion

No doubt this topic has been covered here in detail, but I am not having any luck finding the threads.
    I have an 88 GW with Dana 44 front and rear. SOA up front and am now trying for the next step... high steer. I am going to leave the crossover on the bottem and connect to the DPA over the springs. I would like to find something that would require minimal modification... any input would be great.
  • Chief Gunner
    327 Rambler
    • Mar 10, 2006

You are going to need a passenger side flat top knuckle. Have the flat top knuckle milled to to ensure it is true. Then get a high steer arm and stud kit for the passenger side. I got my high steer arm from Partsmike.com and they were awesome to work with. I also got a 12" DOM tube that has left and right hand threads that replaces the adjuster for the drag link. As far as cost, I got my knuckle for about $65, had a friend that did the mill and tap work. Expect to pay around $100 for that machine work. I think the high steer arm, stud kit, and dom tub(with jam nuts) was about $200. That gives you a ball park idea as to cost and involvement.
    The War Wagon: 1986 GW- SOA/SF on 33X12.50's, 360/727/NP228, CS 144 Alt, OBA
    Wife's DD: 2012 Ford Focus SEL

My carbon foot print is bigger than your's.
    WWW.SOCALULTIMATE4X4.COM

Comment

• Smithers
      230 Tornado
      • Dec 21, 2009

BJ's Kit

They have a full kit here for about $35 more than the Chief's estimated price. I've been having a hard time trying to figure what's up with my order, but if you choose their kit hopefully you'll have better luck.

Comment

• Casey
        • Oct 08, 2003

info:

FSJ Dana 44 - SOA (spring over axle) Steering Solutions I?m making this post because we seem to be asked the same question on a reasonably regular basis. It will be a sticky for a bit, then it will get archived. The topic is pretty clear, Dana 44 - SOA Steering Solutions: It?s that simple, but I am going to impose a few
        1994 YJ
        1986 Comanche
        '57 FC-150

Carolina Full Size Jeep Club
        www.cfsjc.com

www.patriotguard.org

Originally posted by Jeepstress
        "Go forth and be a tool".
        Originally posted by 78 Wagoneer
        This year for ECI I got a Jeep. Pretty important upgrade.

Comment

• jeeping1974
          360 AMC
          • Jun 17, 2007

Partsmike, Ballistic Fab, BTF, etc. all sell passenger side high steer arms that you can use. Most machine the knuckles for ~$55 (for both) and the knuckles both will fit in a flat rate box.

Also, you should be able to find a passenger side knuckle for under $50 as most driver/passeneger pair sell for $100-$125. Sometimes you can find a pair that have already been milled on Pirate's forum for a good price.
          03 GMC 2500HD - DD/toy hauler
          06 Street Glide - Cruiser

Comment

• Blake
            304 AMC
            • Dec 22, 2005

one of my favorite tools

it googles it for the google impaired

For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.

I guess high steer and SOA is very complicated.
            Please come on over to http://fsjnetwork.com/forum and have a look.

Comment

• newwagwheeler
              232 I6
              • Aug 31, 2007

awesome info guys... thanks a bunch.
              What trucks, what years will I find that flat top pass knuckle on?

Comment

• Cappicaper
                232 I6
                • Oct 27, 2008

This is a nice tidy deal that takes nothing but installation at the house:

78 Wagoneer, 401, Turbo400, QT, Posi Rear, 4" lift, 33X10.5 BFG
                69 Gladiator, Buick 350, T18, 14B, 44HD, Cross-over HIgh Steer, Hydroboost, 6" Lift, QR78 Buckshots
                63 CJ5, 302 Ford

Owner Buckstop Truckware, Inc
                www.buckstop.biz

Comment

• Tad
                  • Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by newwagwheeler
                  awesome info guys... thanks a bunch.
                  What trucks, what years will I find that flat top pass knuckle on?

That pretty much says it all.
                  2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                  EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
                  Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

Working...
                  X