• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tripwire
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 30, 2000

made my own brakelines today

Ok I know its not a huge deal - but when you saw off the ends of your lines to replace wheel cylinders - you are committed with a significant pucker factor ( for me)

I did the rear end today, all new lines and rubber hose. It was not difficult, just tricky bending a long stick of tubing in different angles whilst under the rig.

I had a decent tubing bender and a flair tool and had no problem flaring the ends for the fittings. I put anti seize on all the threads to make removal easier in the future

I made my own power brake bleeder for my mityvac using a old pickle jar

eight bucks for the hard lines and 15 for the rubber hose...
    Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:
  • RWrightPhotog
    327 Rambler
    • Jun 07, 2011

Good job! I had a horrible experience trying to replace a rusted brake line on my ZJ. Tried cutting the line and using a coupler, but it kept leaking. I guess my flares were crap. Funny thing is I did it years ago on an old C10 and it's still holding up. Would up getting junkyard line for the ZJ and just bolting it in. So it pains me that my J-truck needs all new lines.
    Rob

1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited 360
    1979 Jeep Cherokee 4-Door 258
    1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief 360

Comment

• tgreese
      • May 29, 2003

The Nicopp/Cunifer line works really well. It's easy to bend and flare, and won't rust. More expensive than steel, but it won't rust and you can bend it around a form without a tubing bender. Available in 25' coils on eBay for a reasonable price, ca $25 for a coil of 3/16".
      Tim Reese
      Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
      Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
      Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
      GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
      ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• brielly
        350 Buick
        • Dec 30, 2002

Thanks for the info tgreese. I'll be attempting this in the near future and would like to use something that will last.
        For Sale Custom built reproduction Rhino Grilles http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...24#post1676924PM me for details or email [email protected]

1982 Cherokee Chief 258 6 cyl, AX-15, NP208, mopar mpfi, hydroboost brakes.

1983 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 258 6cyl*SOLD*

Comment

• tgreese
          • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by brielly
          Thanks for the info tgreese. I'll be attempting this in the near future and would like to use something that will last.
          This is the seller I've bought from - http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-16-COPPER-...fdb409&vxp=mtr

Gone up to $30 now, with shipping.
          Tim Reese
          Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
          Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
          Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
          GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
          ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

The new Napa ones are made like nicop/cunifer that are flexible enough to bend even without the tool. They are dark colored and not plain steel looking. When I'm stuck somewhere and need to reuse a line I first try the flarenut wrench, then squarejaw visegrips to break it loose. If the nut won't turn on the line, I undo the wheel cylinder and unscrew it then screw the new one on (and get a replacement line later)
            Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• jpcoutts
              304 AMC
              • Jun 28, 2002

Congrats on getting this done smoothly. I did some work on my brakes a while back and getting the flares right was a real pain, I'm glad yours went better than mine!
              Jim C
              '67 J3000 Dually
              '86 J20
              '79 CJ5(in pieces)
              '86 CJ7 Doesn't need anything(so why do I have it?)
              Correction- it just needed a water pump!

Comment

• Tripwire
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Jul 30, 2000

Thanks for the link, I wish I knew this before I did the steel lines
                Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• blazer3664
                  350 Buick
                  • Mar 08, 2009

I use this for all mine................ mainly because I usually need to get it done ASAP, and can have it and be back to work in 20 minutes.

Local, not too expensive, flares ok, and bends around a form for tight stuff, as well as just by hand as long as you dont go real tight.

Its not completely rust proof though, but its held up longer than any vehicle I have ever used it on.

For the diferance in price I like the stuff tgreese linked though if I had time to wait for it to get here. Thats a good find.

Jim
                  modified flares, removable top, OBA w/200psi tank,
                  LQ4, 4L80e,NWF doubler w/upside down 203
                  SOA w/ D44s F+R for now
                  H1 wheels+tires (cut), hydroboost brakes
                  custom shackle flip
                  W/F150 springs
                  -----Coming Soon-----
                  snorkels,
                  OX'd D60/14B-FF

Comment

Working...