• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 44BZ
    304 AMC
    • Dec 10, 2009

i have a mess and need some ideas...

So here's a little background... I bought my '68 J2000 about two months ago with high hopes and ambitions. I knew it needed work, but it ran and was sort of drivable. Within the first two weeks I replaced the fuel tank, sending unit, fuel pump, and filter because the old tank was rusted out, leaking, and clogged up so bad it starved the motor. I got it running again, but the starter seemed to be going out so I pulled it only to discover that a replacement prestolyte starter is not easy to come by. I have the 327 V8, by the way.

After I pulled the starter I removed the exhaust manifolds to clean and paint them, and installed gaskets. I also pulled the valve covers to clean and paint, but did not replace the rubber gaskets because they looked to be in decent shape. I also removed all the emissions stuff (air pump and injection tubes) because it wasn't hooked up and much of the connections had corroded away.

Problem #1 - when removing the air injection tubes, a portion of the tube inside the block had corroded and broken off. Any ideas on how to remove these?

Problem #2 - the motor won't run. I can get it started by pouring gas into the carb, but it isn't drawing fuel into the carb on its own. The new filter has some debris in it so I plan to replace it again, but it doesn't appear to be clogged. Any ideas on why the motor won't run on its own?

I know this post is long and thanks in advance for taking the time to read through. I'm new to FSJ's and trying to do my best to revive this old truck, so any insight would be much appreciated...

Zack
    Zack - 68 J2000, AMC 327, 4bbl intake, dual exhaust, Pertronix upgrade, Holley 600cfm, T18, dana 20 (twin sticked), 3" body lift w/ 35x12.50 MTRs ~ running AND driving!
  • Cappicaper
    232 I6
    • Oct 27, 2008

Pull the outlet hose on the fuel pump and crank the motor. it should spew fuel all over the place after about 5 or so cranks. If that works, the problem is after the fuel pump - filter/carb. If it doesn't pump it's before that point in the system - clogged/collapsed line, bad fuel pump, out of gas.
    78 Wagoneer, 401, Turbo400, QT, Posi Rear, 4" lift, 33X10.5 BFG
    69 Gladiator, Buick 350, T18, 14B, 44HD, Cross-over HIgh Steer, Hydroboost, 6" Lift, QR78 Buckshots
    63 CJ5, 302 Ford

Owner Buckstop Truckware, Inc
    www.buckstop.biz

Comment

• 44BZ
      304 AMC
      • Dec 10, 2009

So last night I replaced the filter and did as Cappicaper suggested. My fuel filter is about 18 inches from the carb. I got fuel coming into the filter and through the hose that leads to the carb; however, it won't start unless I pour gas directly into the carb. I noticed that as the motor turns over it sounds like it's gulping air...Is that bad? What could that mean?

I don't think I have a clog in the carb, primarily because I had it running after I replaced all the fuel stuff - tank, pump, filter, hoses...

I really appreciate any ideas. I'm probably a little over my head, but am willing to learn and enjoy wrenching. I've never owned a carburated vehicle before, so a lot of this stuff is brand new to me. I just want to get my behind the wheel of my J truck.
      Zack - 68 J2000, AMC 327, 4bbl intake, dual exhaust, Pertronix upgrade, Holley 600cfm, T18, dana 20 (twin sticked), 3" body lift w/ 35x12.50 MTRs ~ running AND driving!

Comment

• Sparklighter
        232 I6
        • Jan 11, 2009

Originally posted by 44BZ
        So last night I replaced the filter and did as Cappicaper suggested. My fuel filter is about 18 inches from the carb. I got fuel coming into the filter and through the hose that leads to the carb; however, it won't start unless I pour gas directly into the carb. I noticed that as the motor turns over it sounds like it's gulping air...Is that bad? What could that mean?

I don't think I have a clog in the carb, primarily because I had it running after I replaced all the fuel stuff - tank, pump, filter, hoses...

I really appreciate any ideas. I'm probably a little over my head, but am willing to learn and enjoy wrenching. I've never owned a carburated vehicle before, so a lot of this stuff is brand new to me. I just want to get my behind the wheel of my J truck.
        So although its alittle bit of a sretch its not as hard as it sounds......Rebuild the carb. I would say you have an obstruction or stuck float in the carb. "Rebuild" is an intimidating term. I prefer "take it apart clean it and put it back together". The kit shouldn't cost too much prolly $30. BTW, Where are you in oregon? I could offer some help with the rebuild if your within earshot?
        'Sold' 66' Gladiator

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=113463

"Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam"...I will either find a way or make one...

Comment

• 44BZ
          304 AMC
          • Dec 10, 2009

Thanks Sparklighter, I will look into a rebuild kit. I'm in the Portland area...

Comment

Working...
          X