• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KdkGrizz
    232 I6
    • Jul 18, 2014

Hole in Plastic fuel tank

Looking for any information on repairing a hole in the plastic fuel tank in an 82 Waggy.
    Kodi

82 WAGONEER It's a project
    360ci 727 and NP208

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese...
  • letank
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jun 03, 2002

plastic solder is often quoted for motorcycle plastic repairs...
    Michel
    74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
    85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• KdkGrizz
      232 I6
      • Jul 18, 2014

Originally posted by letank
      plastic solder is often quoted for motorcycle plastic repairs...
      Thanks 😊
      Kodi

360ci 727 and NP208

Comment

I used to work with Seal-All glue but they switched formulas and supposedly have one specifically for fuel tanks now. I would swap the tank then add protection if the hole is a rip and you’re dropping it out anyways.
        Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• KdkGrizz
          232 I6
          • Jul 18, 2014

[QUOTE=Carnuck]I used to work with Seal-All glue but they switched formulas and supposedly have one specifically for fuel tanks now. I would swap the tank then add protection if the hole is a rip and you.

Well it’s not a rip. It’s a hole, and oddly enough precisely the same size as a 3/8” drill bit. I blame myself, and can’t be mad about it. My 32 year old daughter who grew up working in the garage with me, but hasn’t worked with the old man for 10-12 years. Decided she wanted to help my install sliders. The passenger sent way too smooth. The driver side well not so much. I gave her a piece of steel plate to slide between frame rail and tank..... well she forgot and drilled a hole through the side rail and tank. I can’t be mad.
          Last edited by KdkGrizz; 07-17-2020, 08:27 PM.
          Kodi

360ci 727 and NP208

Comment

• letank
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Jun 03, 2002

doing a quick search

Repair Plastic Fuel Tank: Plastic fuel tank is made from HDPE plastic ( High-density polyethylene)Most PE plastic grades have excellent chemical resistance, meaning theyare not attacked by strong acids or strong bases, and are resistant togentle oxidants and reducing agents.…
            Michel
            74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
            85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• babywag
              out of order
              • Jun 08, 2005

Tap hole and run a bolt into it. Poly tanks are very thick. Seal threads and it should be good to go.
              Tony
              88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• SJTD
                304 AMC
                • Apr 26, 2012

I'd put a nut on the inside with the bolt if you can get to it. Maybe with a washer with a big hole to capture an o-ring that's a little thicker than the washer.

I wouldn't bother with a tap. Just run a tight fitting bolt into it.
                Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• letank
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Jun 03, 2002

Originally posted by babywag
                  Tap hole and run a bolt into it. Poly tanks are very thick. Seal threads and it should be good to go.

I did a few times on my 74 metal tank, worked well, especially when camping in the middle of nowhere... the parts store have some gas sealant goop...
                  Michel

Comment

• KdkGrizz
                    232 I6
                    • Jul 18, 2014

Is the tank polypropylene or polyethylene?
                    Kodi

360ci 727 and NP208

Comment

• 82camo401j10
                      232 I6
                      • Mar 16, 2020

I used fiberglass mat and JB for putty!
                      Worked several times.
                      The JB is more flexible when set than FG gel!

Comment

Expanding oil drain plug works wonders.
                        Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
                        X