• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sgtjoyce
    230 Tornado
    • Sep 27, 2019

sgtjoyce tank issues

Just dropped the tank to replace the rubber sections of fuel line and heard some "stuff" sliding around inside as I lowered it. Opened it up to find lots of rust/junk inside. I heard gas tanks don't usually rust, not sure what happened to mine. The float rusted completely through. Any ideas?

20191008_154229 by John Joyce, on Flickr

20191008_154345 by John Joyce, on Flickr
    Johnny

78 J20 360, TH400 new project
    77 CJ5 Straight 6, T-18, 10/14 Bolt, 4.88's, 38's, spring over, stretched rear, fiberglass body, cage
    09 JKU Mall crawler
    15 JKU Wife's
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

That's an older(79-earlier) metal tank.
    OP has a later model with a poly tank.

Call around and find a shop that cleans gas tanks.
    $50 took care of nasty tank in my dad's '79 Cherokee.
    Or search online lots of methods for diy clean out of tanks.

That is a LOT of rust so before spending any money make sure it's worth saving.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Sgtjoyce
      230 Tornado
      • Sep 27, 2019

I think I'll just get a poly tank. I'm more curious how it would get so rusted. Could it be a filler/vent line leaking rain into the tank? Or is that not really possible? It had a locking gas cap (no key) and it doesn't come off but it doesn't fit tight either. Not sure how long it has been sitting bone dry. I assume some gas in the tank would have helped keep the rust from starting.
      Johnny

77 CJ5 Straight 6, T-18, 10/14 Bolt, 4.88's, 38's, spring over, stretched rear, fiberglass body, cage
      09 JKU Mall crawler
      15 JKU Wife's

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

got that way from sitting for a long time with it being empty or partially filled.
        If it was less than a full tank moisture will form repeatedly allowing rust to take hold.
        Filling the tank is part of vehicle storage 101.
        Tony

Comment

• joe
          • Apr 28, 2000

+1
          Condensation forms inside the tank. More of a problem in the humid parts of the country than the desert. I grew up in MI and it was a general rule adults hammered into me to prevent carb/fuel line freeze up. Never run your tank below 1/4 full in winter and preferably fill when down to 1/2. Less exposed sheet metal the less condensation. Regularly using a gasoline fuel system drier like HEET was also SOP.
          joe
          "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• '89_Wagon
            232 I6
            • Jan 01, 2019

Originally posted by Sgtjoyce
            I think I'll just get a poly tank. I'm more curious how it would get so rusted. Could it be a filler/vent line leaking rain into the tank? Or is that not really possible? It had a locking gas cap (no key) and it doesn't come off but it doesn't fit tight either. Not sure how long it has been sitting bone dry. I assume some gas in the tank would have helped keep the rust from starting.
            I have a used one if you're interested. Came out of an '89. Also have the skid plate and rubber mat that goes with it. I'm in the NH seacoast area.
            '89 Grand Wagoneer
            AW4 Swap

Comment

• Sgtjoyce
              230 Tornado
              • Sep 27, 2019

Tried ordering new filler and vent hoses for tank but learned that there's 2 styles, 1 flared and 1 straight. Any ideas on figuring out which one I need (it's a front fill tank)? The current hoses are some kind of homemade clear tubing so that doesn't help. I don't want to just order both and return one. I assume the different hose shape and length would put the filler or tank in different positions. Has anyone figured this out before?
              Johnny

09 JKU Mall crawler
              15 JKU Wife's

Comment

• Sgtjoyce
                230 Tornado
                • Sep 27, 2019

Originally posted by '89_Wagon
                I have a used one if you're interested. Came out of an '89. Also have the skid plate and rubber mat that goes with it. I'm in the NH seacoast area.
                PM'd you about the tank
                Johnny

09 JKU Mall crawler
                15 JKU Wife's

Comment

• Sgtjoyce
                  230 Tornado
                  • Sep 27, 2019

Originally posted by Sgtjoyce
                  Tried ordering new filler and vent hoses for tank but learned that there's 2 styles, 1 flared and 1 straight. Any ideas on figuring out which one I need (it's a front fill tank)? The current hoses are some kind of homemade clear tubing so that doesn't help. I don't want to just order both and return one. I assume the different hose shape and length would put the filler or tank in different positions. Has anyone figured this out before?
                  May have found an answer to which hose is correct. I asked around and someone suggested that the hoses with flared ends are much shorter and would likely fit a stepside style bed where the filler would be closer to the centerline of the Jeep. I ended up ordering the longer unflaired hoses for my regular bedsides. I'll update when I try to get it back together.
                  Johnny

09 JKU Mall crawler
                  15 JKU Wife's

Comment

• babywag
                    out of order
                    • Jun 08, 2005

moved this to new thread...
                    apples vs. oranges
                    OP was asking about later model poly grand wag tank.
                    Earlier models aren't the same, and according to your sig. you've got a J20?
                    Tony

Comment

Working...
                    X