X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 440sixpack
    327 Rambler
    • Jul 21, 2016

I had an identical pickup to this when I was a kid. and I put those exact mud flaps on a month after I bought it from my uncle. he bought it new it had 22,000 miles when I bought it from him in 1977. I sold it to another uncle in 1980 and he sold it about 20 years ago and I never saw it again.

Is there a few holes in the front of the bed on each where I had brackets for my whip CB antennas ? that would tell for sure.

Sure would be neat to know what happened to it. I sold it to by a '78 CJ5 Renegade, that was a big mistake I hated it.

Comment

• Crankyolman
      350 Buick
      • Sep 27, 2017

Originally posted by 440sixpack
      I had an identical pickup to this when I was a kid. and I put those exact mud flaps on a month after I bought it from my uncle. he bought it new it had 22,000 miles when I bought it from him in 1977. I sold it to another uncle in 1980 and he sold it about 20 years ago and I never saw it again.

Is there a few holes in the front of the bed on each where I had brackets for my whip CB antennas ? that would tell for sure.

Sure would be neat to know what happened to it. I sold it to by a '78 CJ5 Renegade, that was a big mistake I hated it.
      I don't think there are any holes where antennas were mounted in the bed but I can go look. Where did you have the antennas mounted? There are 4 mystery holes on each side forward of the windshield where something was mounted at some time.
      '72 J4500

Comment

• Crankyolman
        350 Buick
        • Sep 27, 2017

The other day I was looking under my hood and noticed the special order tag. To be honest even though I took pictures of this tag 2 years ago I never really noticed what it said until a couple days ago. This also got me thinking I might post pix of the various tags and placards my truck has.
        So this first one is the special order tag

It's a shame you can't get a build sheet for one of these to find out what that means.

Next is the Willys tag and paint and trim code
        I like the Willys tag, I think I read somewhere once that '72 was the last year that used that Willys name. The color code tells me the lower body color is "Copper Tan" I'm pretty sure the top half is "Champagne White" I'm not exactly sure of the trim package code.

Now here are interior placards. This first one was on the outside of the glove box door. When I repainted the dash I carefully removed and preserved it. I don't think I am going to reinstall it on the outside but might put it on the inside of the glove box.

these other 2 are inside the glove box

You would think that second one would have been on the outside of the glove box rather than inside. It also reminds me of an incident that happened with my '66.

When I lived in Minnesota I was at my brother's house in Proctor, which is up the hill from Duluth. We needed to get some groceries with a big snow storm going on, no big deal in my Gladiator. That is until we were on the way home. Going back up the hill I had it in 4WD and it was doing fine until we hit a patch of dry pavement. As soon as that happened there was a loud BANG! and the front driveshaft came through the passengers floorboard It also broke the bracket that held the transfer case shifter. I think I took some wire or something and wired the drive shaft up and drove on back to my brother's place. It was a real lesson about 4WD that's for sure.

'72 J4500

Comment

• Crankyolman
          350 Buick
          • Sep 27, 2017

I just found out that both Holley and FiTech have now come out with 2 barrel fuel injection. This actually helps me out tremendously since I never want to remove that heavy intake manifold ever again. The problem now is deciding which one to go with. The Holley says it mounts in place of the 2300, which I think is the same as the motorcraft 2100 bolt pattern I have the FiTech doesn't state the pattern but I assume it is probably the same but will look into it before I decide. One of the advantages to the Holley over the FiTech is timing control, that's something that would be nice to have but isn't really all that important to me. I also need to figure out that fittings and things I will need to make this work. My plan is to get a Novak in tank fuel pump so I will have to figure out the fittings and stuff and save up the rest of the money to buy it all.
          '72 J4500

Comment

• 440sixpack
            327 Rambler
            • Jul 21, 2016

The holes were right on the front of the box either on top of the bed rail or inside of it I don't recall.

No holes up front when I had it, if this is it.

I don't recall a SO tag but I'm not sure I would have looked or cared at that time.

In any event it's a pretty rare rig I've only seen one exactly like it in my life besides yours.

Comment

• Crankyolman
              350 Buick
              • Sep 27, 2017

Originally posted by 440sixpack
              The holes were right on the front of the box either on top of the bed rail or inside of it I don't recall.

No holes up front when I had it, if this is it.

I don't recall a SO tag but I'm not sure I would have looked or cared at that time.

In any event it's a pretty rare rig I've only seen one exactly like it in my life besides yours.
              Sorry, no holes at the front of the bed. I think someone else in Oregon said they owned one just like it too. It also matches some they used in some adds so maybe it was a pretty popular trim package. My understanding of this one is that it spent it's whole life up north of me, Monroe Wa area and the lady I got it from was the doughtier of the original owner. I'm sure there is probably a way to verify that but not sure how or that it really matters. I know '72 J4000s in general are pretty uncommon due to a very small production run, add options like a 360, automatic, two tone paint and a radio and it probably narrows things to probably less than 2,000. I have actually seen 4 or 5 '72s in the past 2 years.I've been told by more than one person that there is also a 73 running around Kent, just east pf me, in the same paint scheme. One '72 was up for sale shortly after I bought mine. It would have looked identical but didn't have the wood grain stripe. I almost bought that one as well since it was only $350 due to a small engine fire. I mentioned it to a friend of mine in Michigan and he wanted it. He had an idea to fly out here, make it run and drive it home because he was tired of the stick shift in his '68. I told him if he was serious I'd buy it and start getting it ready, I offered to let him use the distributor and carb from mine if necessary and we had mine as a reference for all the wiring and vacuum lines. Then I guess he sobered up and realized we both have gotten too old to go buying a broke down truck, spending a couple days fixing it, then attempting to drive it 2,300 miles back home.
              '72 J4500

Comment

• CameraFinn
                232 I6
                • Oct 15, 2015

Who did the radio?

Crankyolman, awesome job on the restoration. The interior is beautiful, and funny story on the co-worker.
                Who converted your radio? It looks great! I was trying to figure out how to get new sound in mine without cutting the dash.
                Can't wait to see the new paint. Hope it goes well for you, paint was no fun for me.
                Finn

You know it's a good morning when the gas gauge works for the whole drive.

1970 Wagoneer Project (Dad's)
                1970.5 Gladiator J-4800 Camper Special Custom Cab - 55,000 Miles
                1967 Jeepster Convertible - 8071 Deluxe - 65,000 Miles

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                  Administrator
                  • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by CameraFinn
                  Who did the radio?
                  yes, inquiring minds want to know...
                  Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                  (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                  79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                  (Cherokee Build Thread)
                  11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                  09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                  00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Crankyolman
                    350 Buick
                    • Sep 27, 2017

Originally posted by CameraFinn
                    Crankyolman, awesome job on the restoration. The interior is beautiful, and funny story on the co-worker.
                    Who converted your radio? It looks great! I was trying to figure out how to get new sound in mine without cutting the dash.
                    The person who did my radio was
                    Replace or repair your classic car radio with Bill the Radio Guy. We offer custom car radio replacements and repairs, as well as bluetooth, USB, FM, and conversions.

It's not very cheap I think it was around the cost of a replacement radio but worth it to me to keep my original radio and get FM. There are a couple of people doing this. Here is a list of at least some

One thing to be aware of is to be very specific about what you want done As far as converting to AM-FM he has two things he does, one is called an "add-on" the other a "Conversion" to him these mean 2 different things.

"Add-on" means he adds on an FM tuner and aux jack and can add on extra speaker connections, which I didn't have done or want.

"Conversion" means "Stereo conversion allows from 1 to 4 speaker stereo from AM/FM, iPod, MP3, CD, USB and Bluetooth input with an option for Voice Command. With power ratings at 4x45 watts, external amplifiers may be added through 5 line outputs for even more power if desired."

Not being aware of this I asked for an FM only conversion, which to me meant just add FM (Mono) but to him meant the full blown conversion with 4 speakers and all that. When he told me it was ready and the bill was $450 I had a cow because that was not what I asked for. I only have one speaker and don't plan on adding others because I'm almost deaf in one ear so stereo is wasted on me and I didn't want to add any speakers. He said he would make it right and a week or two later sent me a radio back that was Mono but I noticed the original connections were not on it. So I checked my pictures and found it had a different serial number than the one I sent him so I had another cow and fired off a very unpleasant email to him because I expected MY radio back not somebody else's. He apologized, paid return shipping and made it right. I'm happy with my radio and wouldn't hesitate to send him another one, I just feel it's necessary to caution people considering this about being very precise about what you want and expect. If you want just FM added specify you want an FM mono add-on. If you want extra speakers, specify that or whatever you specifically want and if you are as picky as me and expect to get back the exact radio with the correct numbers and exact wiring connections, specify that and take pictures so you can be certain you get what you are paying him to do.

I don't really blame him for trying to switch out radios, he did the full conversion thing on mine and didn't want to do all the work to undo it when it is likely nobody would notice the switch. The truth is I wouldn't have noticed the switch if it hadn't been for the different connectors, which left me scrambling to try to make work rather than just sticking it back in and connecting up the original connections.
                    '72 J4500

Comment

• KaiserMan
                      I got the Willys....
                      • Jun 21, 2005

Originally posted by Crankyolman
                      There are 4 mystery holes on each side forward of the windshield where something was mounted at some time.
                      Have a pic? Sounds like it may have had a slide in camper and someone mounted shocks on the cowl. Most of them mount with 4 sheet metal screws to the cowl. It used to be common to mount special shocks from the cowl area to the overhang of a camper to help reduced the rocking motion of the camper. My dually that used to have a cab over camper mounted to the chassis has four holes on each side of the cowl on it for the same reason.
                      Thomas Russell
                      1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
                      1971 Gladiator
                      J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
                      1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• CameraFinn
                        232 I6
                        • Oct 15, 2015

Crankyolman,
                        Thank you very much for the info on the radio conversion, and what to expect from him. I will certainly keep that option in mind. Again, pretty truck!
                        Finn

You know it's a good morning when the gas gauge works for the whole drive.

1970 Wagoneer Project (Dad's)
                        1970.5 Gladiator J-4800 Camper Special Custom Cab - 55,000 Miles
                        1967 Jeepster Convertible - 8071 Deluxe - 65,000 Miles

Comment

• Crankyolman
                          350 Buick
                          • Sep 27, 2017

Originally posted by KaiserMan
                          Have a pic? Sounds like it may have had a slide in camper and someone mounted shocks on the cowl. Most of them mount with 4 sheet metal screws to the cowl. It used to be common to mount special shocks from the cowl area to the overhang of a camper to help reduced the rocking motion of the camper. My dually that used to have a cab over camper mounted to the chassis has four holes on each side of the cowl on it for the same reason.

That makes sense. It did at one time have something in the bed because there are still remnants of the seal that was used, I figured it was a topper given this is a 4500 and not something heavy duty.
                          '72 J4500

Comment

• KaiserMan
                            I got the Willys....
                            • Jun 21, 2005

That definitely looks like the brackets for camper anti-sway shocks.

You can kind of see how they mount on this International.

Thomas Russell
                            1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
                            1971 Gladiator
                            J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
                            1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• Crankyolman
                              350 Buick
                              • Sep 27, 2017

I guess they aren't mystery holes any more Thanks guys.
                              '72 J4500

Comment

• Crankyolman
                                350 Buick
                                • Sep 27, 2017

My mail man just delivered an early birthday present my wife bought for me.
                                A rhino grill in very nice condition.

Yesterday we went to the pick your own parts place and found some small headlight buckets, retainer rings and some bezels off a 66 Mercury that look like they will work with some slight modification and some headlight pigtails so I can wire them up. These are going to be used in place of the pie pans. I was in a hurry at the u-pull it and forgot to look for something with large bezels that would work but I think BJs sells those so that shouldn't be a big deal. I was actually really upset at the time because I found out the '72 J4000 they had with the good bed went to the crusher before I could buy it That would have made things much easier for me.

I've now resigned to keeping and fixing the bed I have. I've been putting things off because I haven't wanted to go through the ugly truck times that it has to go through while it's getting fixed for paint. I have now braced myself for that period and have begun doing the necessary things to start that process. Number one was to start removing the few dents it has beginning with the right rear fender flare. When I got the truck it looked like this
                                The other day I happened to notice a big crescent wrench in the floorboard and decided to begin working the dent out.

It's still a work in progress but it now looks like this
                                Which is pretty good in my opinion, it just needs some finishing work.

I also pulled the handle off the passengers side behind the door, the chrome trim around the back window and the cover plates at the back side of the tailgate.

My next plan is to begin removing the badges, chrome strips and the grill and begin fitting the rhino and aux lights. I found a couple people to talk to about the rust repair but haven't really settled on anything there. I figure I'll get all the chrome and stuff removed before I talk to anybody about it so they can see exactly what I will expect of them. I'm really tempted to buy a welder and some sheet metal or some bed sides and try tackling that myself but don't really feel up to it.

I've also been arguing with my wife about the color. She is insisting I go back with the original colors where I am still planning on the black cherry.
                                '72 J4500

Comment

Working...
                                X