• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheWeekendWagon
    232 I6
    • Jan 01, 2018

'90 GW Factory Sunroof Switch?

For my next quarantine project that I continually put off and hopefully wont cost much money...

I have a '90 GW with what I believe to be a factory sunroof (or a REALLY good aftermarket install job). Regardless, the switch was replaced with a non-factory window switch by a previous owner. That switch does not fit the support structure in the headliner so it just kind of dangles there.

Was wondering if anyone had photos of the factory sunroof switch as I cannot find any online. Whatever was used, I am sure was used in multiple vehicles so I am hoping it wont be too hard to find.
    1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    Rescue Project
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

They used ASC shops to hack sunroofs into late models be it "factory" or dealer install. I have seen them installed differently as well.

My 90's sunroof install was very poorly done.
    Looked fine with headliner installed but when removed total hackfest.

Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• fulsizjeep
      Señor Jackhead
      • Aug 21, 2002

I am only familiar with operating one. An 88 I got from my dad had one in it. It worked very well but the ole Jeep was just too rusted to keep it on the road. The sun roof ended up in another 88 down in Tucson and is still in use.

Here is the operator manual for anyone who doesn't have one.

Flint
      Ran when parked.
      http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
      88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
      76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
      http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• TheWeekendWagon
        232 I6
        • Jan 01, 2018

Originally posted by babywag
        They used ASC shops to hack sunroofs into late models be it "factory" or dealer install. I have seen them installed differently as well.

My 90's sunroof install was very poorly done.
        Looked fine with headliner installed but when removed total hackfest.

Thanks guys! Yeah, this switch would definitely not fit. Mine seemed to have been more of a square shape than a rectangle. The makeshift one in there now is this size/shape.

So the likelihood is that there were a few different ones depending on who installed them/when. I will start researching ASC switches from back then or just find/make something that works better.
        1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
        Rescue Project

Comment

• fsj454
          Long time member
          • Jan 02, 2015

ASC

MY 1990 GW switch says ASC on the switch .
          1982 cherokee nt. 454. nv4500 .205. dana 60 f+r. twin stick.hydroboost.hydrolic clutch.rock ram.traction bar.warn 12000 winch.4 wheel disc.flip kit.soa.high steer.cross over steer.4.56 detroit locker.35 spline rear alloy axles. 37s .1990 grand wagoneer aka trusty rusty

Comment

• babywag
            out of order
            • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by TheWeekendWagon
            Thanks guys! Yeah, this switch would definitely not fit. Mine seemed to have been more of a square shape than a rectangle. The makeshift one in there now is this size/shape.

So the likelihood is that there were a few different ones depending on who installed them/when. I will start researching ASC switches from back then or just find/make something that works better.
            Very likely they just used what was @ shop when installed.
            Different ASC shops used and probably varying levels of quality depending on individuals who did the install.

On mine they actually used a bunch of masking tape to secure/wrap sunroof wiring. Overall install quality/workmanship pathetic.
            Tony

Comment

• fsj454
              Long time member
              • Jan 02, 2015

switch plug

Switch plug has 4 wires .2 brown.1 black .1 green. Switch has wires attached to it with short pigtail to 4 pin plug connector
              1982 cherokee nt. 454. nv4500 .205. dana 60 f+r. twin stick.hydroboost.hydrolic clutch.rock ram.traction bar.warn 12000 winch.4 wheel disc.flip kit.soa.high steer.cross over steer.4.56 detroit locker.35 spline rear alloy axles. 37s .1990 grand wagoneer aka trusty rusty

Comment

• MysticRob
                350 Buick
                • Nov 26, 2019

Digging this one up from its slumber to query about sunroof switch options and other things like parts.
                I'm getting close to getting the interior on my 88 done, and want to get the sunroof sorted.

Pretty sure I have the ASC (there's an ASC decal on driver door frame anyway) 'factory installed' power sunroof on mine, whatever that means. Was it done at the factory?
                The install looks pretty permanent, has all 4 drain hoses routed thru what look like factory holes, what looks like a factory-type roof hole, etc.
                Are there replacement parts available anywhere?

The headliner is missing, the sunroof power switch is missing, and I'm not even sure the sunroof will function yet as I haven't yet checked it. I do know a couple things are broken. Here's some pics if anyone can help point things out. Comments welcomed!

This is a pic detailing all the installed wiring, especially the red wire in the left of the pic, presumably for power, coming down from the front left drain hose hole near the left sun visor hole:

Here's a good look at the other wiring, including what I assume is a controller box on the right, with the long connector that obviously fits with the other connector near it. The 'opposing shark-fins' connector in the middle of the pic goes to the connector for the motor on the sunroof assembly, all of which I have. The black wire to the left I assume is ground, and the 3 wires in the top left are likely for the power switch that would mount in the headliner:

Pic of the glass:

Pic of large hole in roof:

Some bits that need fixed and/or replaced:

Last edited by MysticRob; 10-21-2020, 10:13 AM.
                --Rob--
                1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
                https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
                https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• babywag
                  out of order
                  • Jun 08, 2005

No...none were done @ factory.
                  ASC was aftermarket shops and are no more.
                  There are minimal parts available.
                  Digging around online I found a place that helps folks repair.
                  Owner claimed had to buy 2 seals and cut/splice to make work as original is long discontinued.
                  Mr. sunroof or sunroof doctor? i forget. He knew the model well it was used in a lot of different cars in 80's-90's
                  Tony

Comment

• MysticRob
                    350 Buick
                    • Nov 26, 2019

No...none were done @ factory.
                    ASC was aftermarket shops and are no more.
                    There are minimal parts available.
                    Digging around online I found a place that helps folks repair.
                    Owner claimed had to buy 2 seals and cut/splice to make work as original is long discontinued.
                    Mr. sunroof or sunroof doctor? i forget. He knew the model well it was used in a lot of different cars in 80's-90's
                    I think I found that thread:
                    I have an 85 GW with what appears to be a factory sunroof. PO removed gasket/seal to paint and now it is gone. Any pics of what it looks like or how to get a new one? Thanks.

Another good thread:
                    So unfortunately the Grand Wagoneer I am fixing up has the "factory" ASC installed sunroof, and I am having some issues regarding it. Because it was not common in these cars and there really aren't many out there with them at all nowadays, I can't really find much information on it. The sunroof currently does not

Clarify what you mean by 'are no more' for me if you could.
                    Not around, as in the retail aftermarket installation shops aren't around, or the ASC company in general?
                    I ask because I have the decal on the driver side that matches this same named company's website so they're still around in some fashion:
                    ASC - Sunroofs & Leather Interiors is an automotive accessory supplier and installation company, specializing in sunroofs and leather upholstery in the Greater Toronto Area for over 50 years.

I'm currently in touch with one of their sales guys trying to get info, but thus far am coming up short on model # for parts lists, manuals, diagrams, etc.

And can you clarify 'none were done @ factory'? I'm imagining that much like Ford outsourcing some Boss 429 production bits to Kar Kraft, the GW might've been transported offsite for work during assembly, or more likely at the dealership after vehicle was delivered, but knowing the power sunroof was a GW option starting in 88 I'm just really curious what the exact process(es) was.

Checking out the Sunroof Doctor site I see this page, which I'll use to see if I can figure out what model I may have.

Not having looked too closely yet, beyond taking the entire thing out almost a year ago to make room for interior restoration, I'm assuming it's what's known as an Inbuilt Sunroof on ASC's site, as it has room to slide in the enclosed assembly and has the built-in headliner sunshade.

Seeing as how there had be to some cookie-cutter type models, installs, etc, parts must be available somewhere!
                    --Rob--

My build thread:

Comment

• babywag
                      out of order
                      • Jun 08, 2005

Are no more = the ASC of the 80's-90's is looooong gone.
                      Company was bought/sold/restructured many times.

None were done @ factory = No FSJ left the factory with a sunroof.
                      Every one of them was done AFTER they were fully built/assembled.
                      Dealer installed or ASC shop(s) did the installs.
                      Tony

Comment

• MysticRob
                        350 Buick
                        • Nov 26, 2019

Are no more = the ASC of the 80's-90's is looooong gone.
                        Company was bought/sold/restructured many times.

None were done @ factory = No FSJ left the factory with a sunroof.
                        Every one of them was done AFTER they were fully built/assembled.
                        Dealer installed or ASC shop(s) did the installs.
                        Outstanding, thanks.
                        That does make sense, those one-offs would've probably held up the line, etc.
                        Good news is I have a line on some/most/all the stuff I need to fix mine, so I'll reinstall it at some point hopefully soon.
                        --Rob--

My build thread:

Comment

Working...
                        X