• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • silvercert
    327 Rambler
    • Feb 05, 2009

Jeep Shutting off While Driving now

Been having this issue

Lately Jeep has been starting right up and then immediately shutting down. No hesitation, normal start runs for about 1 second and then straight shut down, with no sputter or hiss just cut off. Starts right back up everytime, maybe a little slower but starts. Today it also cut off, same way just shut off, while driving. Pulling

But now it is shutting off while driving regularly now. Cuts off like ive turned the key off, just straight dies. Throw it in neutral and starts right back up everytime. Not running bad either just shuts off.

I have been persuaded by the suggestions in the last thread towards an ignition modual but I want to narrow it down before I just throw money at it.
    Daniel
    I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is that I always allow each student one free pass in my classes. The bad news is that you have now used yours for this class. Doug
  • The Anti-Chrysler
    Disciple of A.M.C.
    • Aug 19, 2002

My first guess before I read you'd heard from others is the ignition module. Textbook symptoms, although its not guaranteed. Most people, myself included, always carry a spare anyway, if you were worried about wasting money throwing parts at it.
    Jason Davis
    '82 J-10 Laredo, 360, T-177, 4" Rusty's
    '85 J-10 (parts)
    '09 Pontiac G8 GT Sport, '97 Sierra (Vortec 454), '98 Silverado Z71 (5.7 Vortec)

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

Guessing a duraspark system? So ign module does seem suspect and yeah go buy one if you don't need it now "you will eventually" so buying one isn't wasted money. A spare should be a standard glovebox item. Only thing makes me not suspect the IM is that it'll restart immediately while still rolling. My experience with IM's though is different. When they start to go bad they overheat/cook themselves and shut down. Then need a cool off period. May be in as little time it takes to pop the hood, go oh crap, fondle a couple items and get back in the car and it'll restart. Some times(usually) cool time is many minutes. In your case I'd check, clean, tighten the batt cables at the battery. And the coil connections while looking for chafing/shorting wires. If loose or dirty it doesn't take much of a bump or vibration to momentarily break the connection. Could be a fuel issue but those act different, usually involves some surging or stumble prior to shut down and not like the key being switched off.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• serehill
        Gone,Never Forgotten.
        • Nov 22, 2009

YEP My analysis/Guess hasn't changed I don't carry spares though

I just use MSD.

80 Cherokee
        360 ci 727 with
        Comp cams 270 h
        NP208
        Edlebrock performer intake
        Holley 4180
        Msd total multi spark.
        4" rusty's springs
        Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• silvercert
          327 Rambler
          • Feb 05, 2009

Just changed ignition module....... didn't fix it. Still shutting off.
          Daniel
          I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is that I always allow each student one free pass in my classes. The bad news is that you have now used yours for this class. Doug

Comment

• serehill
            Gone,Never Forgotten.
            • Nov 22, 2009

unreal

Coil or dizzy pick up.
            Gas just doesn't cut off.
            Check all connections.
            I've never seen a coil come back immediately or an intermitent pick up.
            BUT there's a lot of things I haven't seen.
            Every time I've lost a dizzy pick up it was gone.
            Coils can overheat & shut down but they don't fire right back up.
            Sorry you're having a problem?
            Does it do this while you're driving down the road or while you deaccelerating' sitting at a read light?
            Hate to see parts changing but sometimes virtual work is a lot of assumptions.
            Have you check for pinched or bare wires?
            Do your gages keep on working when this happens?
            Are all connections & grounds tight?

80 Cherokee
            360 ci 727 with
            Comp cams 270 h
            NP208
            Holley 4180
            Msd total multi spark.
            4" rusty's springs

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• silvercert
              327 Rambler
              • Feb 05, 2009

Originally posted by serehill
              Coil or dizzy pick up.
              Gas just doesn't cut off.
              Check all connections.
              I've never seen a coil come back immediately or an intermitent pick up.
              BUT there's a lot of things I haven't seen.
              Every time I've lost a dizzy pick up it was gone.
              Coils can overheat & shut down but they don't fire right back up.
              Sorry you're having a problem?
              Does it do this while you're driving down the road or while you deaccelerating' sitting at a read light?
              Hate to see parts changing but sometimes virtual work is a lot of assumptions.
              Have you check for pinched or bare wires?
              Do your gages keep on working when this happens?
              Are all connections & grounds tight?
              Happens while driving down the road and while sitting in drive or park and at start up ...originally it was only after start up but now while driving... checked over wires this afternoon and didn't see anything fishy.
              Daniel

Comment

• Pman
                350 Buick
                • Apr 24, 2004

Serehill may have nailed it. I had this problem and it was the distributor pick up coil. Cost a whopping 7.00 I think?
                Pearsall Smith
                82 Wagoneer Limited (Cracker)-360 c.i.d.,Rusty's 4" Lift, Rancho RS9000x Shocks, TFI Upgrade, BFG 31" All Terrains
                88 Wrangler Laredo (Tubbles)-258 c.i.d.,33" BF Goodrich Mud Terrains,3.5" lift, 8000lb. Warn Winch, Aussie Locker (Front)
                81 CJ 5 (Lulu)-304-T150-D20
                82 CJ 8 Scrambler- 258-T5-D300

Comment

• serehill
                  Gone,Never Forgotten.
                  • Nov 22, 2009

Was yours doing the shut off strat right back UP??

Originally posted by Pman
                  Serehill may have nailed it. I had this problem and it was the distributor pick up coil. Cost a whopping 7.00 I think?
                  anything is possible it still sounds like Ignition.

80 Cherokee
                  360 ci 727 with
                  Comp cams 270 h
                  NP208
                  Holley 4180
                  Msd total multi spark.
                  4" rusty's springs

Comment

• Pman
                    350 Buick
                    • Apr 24, 2004

Yes, my issue was random shut off, fast startup. I had replaced the ignition module (and I agree; this usually is the culprit), that didn't work, then I changed the ignition switch. Oddly, the problem didn't reappear for a couple of weeks and I felt confident that was it. Then it happened again. One trend I did notice was that I was having a harder time starting back up. Eventually, it completely crapped out in my driveway and wouldn't restart. Replaced the pickup coil and all has been good.
                    Pearsall Smith
                    82 Wagoneer Limited (Cracker)-360 c.i.d.,Rusty's 4" Lift, Rancho RS9000x Shocks, TFI Upgrade, BFG 31" All Terrains
                    88 Wrangler Laredo (Tubbles)-258 c.i.d.,33" BF Goodrich Mud Terrains,3.5" lift, 8000lb. Warn Winch, Aussie Locker (Front)
                    81 CJ 5 (Lulu)-304-T150-D20
                    82 CJ 8 Scrambler- 258-T5-D300

Comment

• babywag
                      out of order
                      • Jun 08, 2005

Wiggle test.

Thick gloves engine running watch the fan!
                      wiggle the distributor wires/plugs, coil wiring/plug, ignition module wiring/plugs.

My bet would be the coil wiring (it is 26yrs old)
                      Tony
                      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• hookedup50
                        350 Buick
                        • Aug 07, 2010

Wiggle test your fuseable links. I had that issue and switched to HEI thinking module was going but it was fuseable link that was cracked under insulation. It took me a long time to find issue. HEI was best un necessary fix/upgrade ever. I went from 9 to 12 mpg by mistake.
                        Jennifer: 89 GW 360/727/D44 2"lift 31" BF KM2
                        Harriett: 97 chevy 2500 ext cab P/U 6.5 TD
                        Lorraine: 73 Datsun 240z
                        07 Colorado
                        http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa416/hookedup50/

Comment

• serehill
                          Gone,Never Forgotten.
                          • Nov 22, 2009

LOL

Originally posted by hookedup50
                          Wiggle test your fuseable links. I had that issue and switched to HEI thinking module was going but it was fuseable link that was cracked under insulation. It took me a long time to find issue. HEI was best un necessary fix/upgrade ever. I went from 9 to 12 mpg by mistake.

Sounds like something I would do. But at the end of the day

80 Cherokee
                          360 ci 727 with
                          Comp cams 270 h
                          NP208
                          Holley 4180
                          Msd total multi spark.
                          4" rusty's springs

Comment

• TexasJ10
                            360 AMC
                            • Jan 03, 2002

I had this problem years ago and it turned out to be a bad connection at one of the fusible links. Since they are crimped, and taped, it is hard to see the problem.
                            * 1981 stepside, 360, 727, 208, almost stock daily driver.
                            * 1982 Laredo j-10, 360, 727, in rough shape and in the process of being rebuilt with 401, NV4500, Klune,
                            . NP205,d60 front, d70 rear, fender work and minimal lift. It will probably take 10 years
                            * 1973 jcab mounted on 1983 j20 frame. 360/t18/208 d44/d60. Almost completed

Comment

• silvercert
                              327 Rambler
                              • Feb 05, 2009

Which Fusible links
                              Daniel

Comment

Working...
                              X