2012 Ouray caravan from the upper midwest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • derf
    360 AMC
    • Jul 12, 2001

2012 Ouray caravan from the upper midwest?

Is it too early to start organizing caravans to get to Ouray next year?

It's going to be a 2 day drive for me. I wouldn't mind meeting up with people along the way so we can ride into Ouray together.

My route will take me down I-80 from eastern Iowa to western Nebraska. I plan on peeling off on I-76 to Denver and then I-70 towards western Colorado. I'm not sure what the best route would be once I get west of Denver but I'm sure someone has a good suggestion. Google maps has me going to Grand Junction on I-70 and south on US-50 to Ouray. Though it looks like there's a couple routes to go through Buena Vista and Poncha Springs that might be better than droning along on the interstate.

I have two thoughts on timetables. The first is to make the ~1130 mile trip in two days. I'd leave home in the morning on the 16th, stop in far eastern Colorado, then pick up the trail again in the morning, stopping in Denver for early lunch with my cousin, and getting into Ouray in the evening on the 17th.

My second thought would be to leave on the 15th and get a couple hundred miles knocked off, getting to at least Nebraska. From there, I'd get to Denver and stop to visit my cousin for the night. That would give me more time to enjoy the trip from Denver through the mountains to Ouray.

What do y'all think? Anyone interested in joining up with a caravan?
    Try out my gear ratio calculator

My Jeeps: Truck Norris and Grimm Jeeper

Truck Norris doesn't need a brow. He has fists.
  • grand_wag_85
    Murphy's Law Poster Child
    • Dec 03, 2003

I'm planning on running I80-I76 as well but getting off at Copper Mtn and going south thru Leadville to Poncha Springs and over Monarch Pass. Not sure of my dates yet, vacation won't get approved until New Year's.

As far as driving time, with an FSJ always leave yourself extra time. You never know when the vapor lock fairy will pay you a visit.
    You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
    '88 GW
    '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• derf
      360 AMC
      • Jul 12, 2001

Originally posted by grand_wag_85
      I'm planning on running I80-I76 as well but getting off at Copper Mtn and going south thru Leadville to Poncha Springs and over Monarch Pass. Not sure of my dates yet, vacation won't get approved until New Year's.

As far as driving time, with an FSJ always leave yourself extra time. You never know when the vapor lock fairy will pay you a visit.
      That looks like a good route to take.

But I do agree with you on having extra time. I'm leaning towards the 3 day trip so I have that cushion. The 15th is a Sunday so there's no problem taking that extra time.

Comment

• ne715
        350 Buick
        • Mar 16, 2006

We will be leaving out of Central Nebraska on the 15th and pulling into Ouray the 16th. We usually travel I-80 to I-76 and south at Brush CO Hwy 71 to Limon, pick up Hwy 24 to Colorado Springs, then 115 to Canon City, Pick up 50 across to Montrose and south on 550. We have tried several alternative routes the last 5 years, and this one seems to work the best for us, but we try and avoid Denver at all possible costs.

If you want to leave on the 14th and make it to Cozad NE we could put you up for the night and leave here the next morning. We usually make it a two day trip from here due to sick and tired of sitting up tents in the dark. We usually stay in Salida CO overnight and carry on the next morning. You would have to promise to keep Truck Norris away from Mikki's Honcho, we don't need any little FSJ's running around here.
        Pam
        Last edited by ne715; 11-08-2011, 06:29 PM.

Comment

• derf
          360 AMC
          • Jul 12, 2001

Originally posted by ne715
          We will be leaving out of Central Nebraska on the 15th and pulling into Ouray the 16th. We usually travel I-80 to I-76 and south at Brush CO Hwy 71 to Limon, pick up Hwy 24 to Colorado Springs, then 115 to Canon City, Pick up 50 across to Montrose and south on 550. We have tried several alternative routes the last 5 years, and this one seems to work the best for us, but we try and avoid Denver at all possible costs.

If you want to leave on the 14th and make it to Cozad NE we could put you up for the night and leave here the next morning. We usually make it a two day trip from here due to sick and tired of sitting up tents in the dark. We usually stay in Salida CO overnight and carry on the next morning. You would have to promise to keep Truck Norris away from Mikki's Honcho, we don't need any little FSJ's running around here.
          Pam
          Well, I do have a cousin that lives in Denver proper and I do want to stop by and see him and the family on my way through.

Comment

• ne715
            350 Buick
            • Mar 16, 2006

This year we took 285 out of Denver to Poncha Springs, not a bad drive, good highway. You get to go through South Park Colorado.

Comment

• Hutcho
              327 Rambler
              • Jun 22, 2010

We will we coming from neosho, mo no clue on what route haven't thought that far ahead yet. But also leaving the Saturday before and staying all week probably leave the next Saturday...sorry bout lack of dates but I'm not near my Calender and too lazy to get out of typing this and look LOL! Would be really cool to have a convoy of Fsjs! You could see the leaks and smoke from space! Lol
              Formally known as "oilfieldtrash354"

"Grandpas" 1979 J-10 resto/mod-on hold for now

Preparing for Ouray 2013!!!!

Comment

• grand_wag_85
                • Dec 03, 2003

This year we took 285 out of Denver to Poncha Springs, not a bad drive, good highway. You get to go through South Park Colorado.
                Gorgeous route, one of my favorite drives

'82 J10
                '88 GW
                '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• derf
                  360 AMC
                  • Jul 12, 2001

That could be a fun route.

Comment

• HOOT

• Mar 28, 2003

I-70 from Denver to Grand Junction is a very scenic drive. Most people will be driving way too fast around you but it is worth it if you've never been there before. The drive from GJ down to Ouray is very scenic but a scary drive if you are afraid of a break down. Some historic places to see along the way and not many people around. The drive along the Delores River is great.
                    I go in from the north usually and tried the southern approach once but usually always leave out over Monarch Pass (wish SJ was still there).

Not sure which way I'll be taking this time. I'll most likely be leaving on Friday the 13th, I like to temp the spirits. I also like avoiding the interstate when possible so will probably be heading out across MO again and out the panhandle of OK.
                    I'll be out there somewhere is all I can say at this point may have it on a trailer or if all goes well I'll be driving it.

My time at KOA starts on Sunday 7/15 (I'll leave a light on for you) and goes till Sunday 7/22. Most likely trekking north from there to MT via ID.
                    Last edited by HOOT; 11-16-2011, 12:56 AM.
                    Tom Gibson
                    1980 J20 Utility bed truck. Factory cab and chassis truck. Many new mods for it but it will look all stock.
                    1985 J10 nothing special just a nice clean stock truck.
                    1977 Honcho "Blue" 401/400/quad. Under going major upgrades.."This is Not Your Fathers Honcho", it may not even be a Honcho anymore when done.
                    2017 Challenger. Very jealous of the Jeeps.

Comment

• derf
                      360 AMC
                      • Jul 12, 2001

I've done I-70 all the way from Denver to Utah once already. And I'm the kind of guy who does different routes for the sake of going a different route. I like the idea of trying out a different way there.

Comment

• Tonka J200
                        360 AMC

• Jul 21, 2002

I'm not sure what next summer holds for us yet. Gotta see how finances etc. will be holding up. If we can swing it, we're going to try and make it out there again. I'm really hoping to!

If we can go, I'd love to caravan with you! The route we took last year took me right by you on the way out. I could follow you to the Denver area and I'll run up and visit my cousin in Longmont, then head out from there.

If I can get my truck done I'd love to take it instead of my Grand Wagoneer! Imagine Truck Norris and Truck E. Cheese blasting down the highway together! What could be cooler than that!?! Fuggedaboutit!!
                        -Frank
                        '63 J200 2WD
                        '63 J200 4WD: J20 Axles, extended wheelbase, factory stakebed
                        '63 J100 Panel Delivery
                        '91 Grand Wagoneer Final Edition
                        "If you're going to laugh about it someday, you might as well start now".

Comment

• Sharps Shooter
                          232 I6
                          • Nov 18, 2010

NW Upstart had mentioned roundin up as many of us North Westernes as possable to make the Ouray run in2012, but i have no idea what the best route to git there is from here.. Anyone have any idea?.. NW Washington, is kinda the farthest from anywhere as far as i know..lol.. I'm about 100 feet from SR 20. (North Cascades Hway), & a stones throw from I-5
                          Last edited by Sharps Shooter; 11-16-2011, 03:43 PM.
                          BUMP IT, or JUMP IT!!!. Either Way, Yer Goin Through!!!

Comment

• grand_wag_85
                            • Dec 03, 2003

Originally posted by Sharps Shooter
                            NW Upstart had mentioned roundin up as many of us North Westernes as possable to make the Ouray run in2012, but i have no idea what the best route to git there is from here.. Anyone have any idea?.. NW Washington, is kinda the farthest from anywhere as far as i know..lol.. I'm about 100 feet from SR 20. (North Cascades Hway), & a stones throw from I-5
                            Get down to I84 and then to I15 towards SLC. From there catch US6 to Green River then I70 to Grand Junction and US50 down to Ouray.

OR after you get to Green River head south thru Moab, Monticello and over the mountain into Colorado. Not a bad drive but I've only done it at night.

'82 J10
                            '88 GW
                            '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• Sharps Shooter
                              232 I6
                              • Nov 18, 2010

[quote=grand_wag_85]Get down to I84 and then to I15 towards SLC. From there catch US6 to Green River then I70 to Grand Junction and US50

Thay Ya Kindly.. with any luck, i'll have the fundin to pull off the trip, with a couple extra K for spendin money.
                              BUMP IT, or JUMP IT!!!. Either Way, Yer Goin Through!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X