• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike1072
    230 Tornado
    • Apr 24, 2018

new owner in NC

Hello everyone,
    Just purchased a 1989 GW which is in between a fixer upper and driver. Runs and drives, with a fresh tranny rebuild. Needs some quarter repair but NO frame rust. It simply needs a lot of little things, but I'm not sure where to start! I would appreciate ANY advice or a 'punch' list of things I should do to make this vehicle road ready... some things I was thinking:
    basic tune up plugs/wires/ALL filters/ etc
    brakes - all
    rubber hoses/belts
    shocks
    lubricate - where should I start? Like every hinge/window.etc

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you!
  • Tripwire
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 30, 2000

Welcome to the madness yes those are all a good start for sure as you get to know the "condition" of your rig. I would change ALL the fluids and filters.....and like you said ALL the rubber hoses - even under the rig (trans/cooler) what kind of mechanic skill sets do you have + tools?

this will help us in pointing you to repairs to keep her/him in daily driver condition.

perhaps a good local mom and pop 4WD store can put it up on the lift and check out ball joints, tie rods, u joints steering slop?

BTW....you will never get 25 MPG out of it so dont even ask ... LOL
    Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

Working...
    X