Tailgate Switch Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tailgate Switch Problems

I know that this is a common problem but the dern thing has got me baffled. I replaced the switch and the window starts to move but then the circuit breaker gets very hot and stops movement. Is there a seperate ground for the rear switch that may have a cracked wire?
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
    DLyons
    84 Grand Wagoneer
    360 (401 someday)
    Always Under Construction
  • Luperman
    232 I6
    • Apr 09, 2000

can you operate the window from the dash?if so look at your amp gauge while you roll it down if it peg in to the neg then you have a bad short to ground thru your motor circuit.

------------------
    84 Grand Wagoneer 360
    The Road Rhino...
    84 Grand Wagoneer 360<BR>86 fiero V-6

Comment

• ClarkGriswald
      350 Buick
      • Jul 03, 2000

Not sure but from an electrical standpoint, if its getting real hot like that then then there is a "path of low resistance" therfore a near short, possibly bad\damaged windings in that window motor or the wiring. Check for crimps in the wiring that may have comprimised the insulation or mabye (ive never been inside a tailgate yet so unfamiliar with the mechanic's. ) unhook the motor from its mechanical load (ie. windo) and see if it does its thing under a no load situation. . hope this is helpfull and not just useless banter hehehe.. good luck..

------------------

88 Grand Wagoneer
      D44's front\rear
      AMC 360
      TF 727
      NP 229 (Funky)
      Bone Stock (for now)
      NO RUNNING BOARDS!
      88 Rusting mound
      79 Rusting mound

Comment

• andy d
        Shade Tree Shaman
        • May 06, 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DLyons:
        I know that this is a common problem but the dern thing has got me baffled. I replaced the switch and the window starts to move but then the circuit breaker gets very hot and stops movement. Is there a seperate ground for the rear switch that may have a cracked wire?
        Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>sounds like crappy wiring to me.hot wire the motor directly to a 12v source, switching leads to reverse direction of the motor. i keep hearing people cussing out the motors (window) on gwags. in my experience the motors are fine its usually a bad ground or old brittle insulation on the wires thats the root cause. a word of caution: should you opt to remove the tg motor the ''mainspring'' needs to be kept in check. it trapped a buddy of mine for a few hours,until his wife rescued him. me, well thats why they call me lefty,just foolin, but it trapped me once too,luckily i had a pry bar with in reach,and freed my self. its prolly just a bad ground. check out the safety sw on the tg. good luck!!
        \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

• Luperman
          232 I6
          • Apr 09, 2000

I found out the motor on my ride had gotten so hot that the leads on the motor (they were soldered in place) had rotated toward each other and shorted the whole circuit. all I did was resolder them in the correct position and window works great again.

------------------
          84 Grand Wagoneer 360
          The Road Rhino...
          84 Grand Wagoneer 360<BR>86 fiero V-6

Comment

• irbob
            360 AMC
            • Apr 11, 2000

Dlyons,

If your T-Gate Motor is moving the problem isn't with the Disconnect Switch which basicly completes the circuit when the T-Gate is closed in order for the Motor to operate. It prevents the window from being opened when the T-Gate is down. It's not to good to see the glass hit the ground. Make sure the window isn't binding first in its tracks. Do you have worn out tracks? Are the lined up? Next check all the wire connections. Tan going to and from Disconnect switch, tan and brown to motor that go all the way to the dash switch and a red from switch to the fuse box. Now if that is all well it's time to look into a motor. The first time I looked at my motor I couldn't believe that it was still working. It had all but fallen appart.

I like to check out all the wireing first because it is the least expensive to repair. Good luck fellow FSJeeper.

------------------
            My Home Page IFSJA Sticker
            83 Wagoneer Brougham, AMC 360, Chrysler 999 Auto, NP 229 Txfr, F/Diff Dana 44F, R/Diff AMC 8 7/8", 31X10.5 Pathfinder's, Rancho RS 9000's, 2" rear blocks.
            Bob
            83 Wagoneer Brougham (Rolled) Woooof
            83 Wagoneer Limited (Parts Rig) Woooof II

Comment

I forgot to mention that the front switch and motor work great. Only when I use the rear switch does it overload the circuit breaker.
              By the way, a previous owner had made spaghetti out of the tailgate wiring. The safety switch has been bypassed. Is this necessary, or is it just a safety measure?
              Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

------------------
              DLyons
              84 Grand Wagoneer
              360 (401 someday)
              Always Under Construction

Comment

OK, I give up! I just spent the last three hours rewiring the inside of the tailgate. I followed the diagram from the Haynes manual and it still doesn't work right!!
                Front switch works fine. Rear switch moves the window very slowly and it pegs the amp gauge into the negitive until the circuit breaker goes off.
                I'm about ready to grab my AR-15 and put a few rounds through the tailgate. I know this won't fix it, but it may relieve some of my stress!
                I love to take the tailgate apart five times a day!!!

Comment

• irbob
                  360 AMC
                  • Apr 11, 2000

If your wireing is spaghetti, did u check for loose hot wires. I would make sure that everything is hooked up how it should be. No you don't need the disconnect switch. It's just to prevent someone behind the wheel from puting the T-Gate window up when the T-Gate is in the down position. I just hate loose ends which is on my personal Jeep ethics list. Have a good one.

------------------
                  My Home Page IFSJA Sticker
                  83 Wagoneer Brougham, AMC 360, Chrysler 999 Auto, NP 229 Txfr, F/Diff Dana 44F, R/Diff AMC 8 7/8", 31X10.5 Pathfinder's, Rancho RS 9000's, 2" rear blocks.
                  Bob
                  83 Wagoneer Brougham (Rolled) Woooof
                  83 Wagoneer Limited (Parts Rig) Woooof II

Comment

Working...
                  X