Which of these springs should I use as a helper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

Which of these springs should I use as a helper?

I kept these 2 pair of leaf springs from a pack I threw away a while ago (I also have the anti-squeak pads). I am thinking about adding one pair to the rear pack of my Cherokee to get a little lift and maybe some extra cargo capacity.

They are about the same thickness but one set is twice as long as the other. Would adding the longer spring to my pack be the softer option or the stiffer? Which would "probably" add the most lift?

I know that by adding a spring, I am going to make the rear a little bouncier but I am OK with that for now. What do you guys think?
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee
  • wiley-moeracing
    350 Buick
    • Feb 15, 2010

check and see where the new leaves will land on the current spring pack( they need to be staggered)and build the leaf pack with a new center bolt.

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

Originally posted by wiley-moeracing
      check and see where the new leaves will land on the current spring pack( they need to be staggered)and build the leaf pack with a new center bolt.
      Yes, try to use the long one first and if there's an available space for the short--add that too.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
        Administrator
        • Oct 31, 2016

Ok copy that! I'll see how they fit in my current pack. Are there any special requirements for the center bolt or can I just use a fine thread Grade 8 nut/bolt? Any advice on shopping for the spring clamps?
        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
        (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
        (Cherokee Build Thread)
        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

Ive used G8 hardware many times but then was chastised by a Spring Shop for doing it. Apparently, its a G5 that is intended to shear on impact to lessen the likely hood of bending an axle in a collision.
          I Never Knew

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
            350 Buick
            • Feb 15, 2010

napa will sell the center bolts for the springs and also the spacers if needed.

Comment

• SJTD
              304 AMC
              • Apr 26, 2012

Originally posted by rocklaurence
              Ive used G8 hardware many times but then was chastised by a Spring Shop for doing it. Apparently, its a G5 that is intended to shear on impact to lessen the likely hood of bending an axle in a collision.
              I Never Knew
              Interesting theory.

I doubt it needs to be even that strong. Seems to be if the u-bolts aren't holding things together it doesn't matter what bolt is in there.
              Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

Working...
              X