• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tigger4X
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Nov 16, 2001

HELP ~ 1987 Waggie TRANS & T-CASE ID

Checked out a 1987 Wagoneer for a friend today and need help identifying the Trans and T-case.

No Z-code too old and the stickers say 360 with just over 158K on the ODO. I forgot to check which side the front diff is on. The driveshaft to the rear diff is on the passenger side. There is a round tag ID tag just above and to the right of a large round plug/nut that I'm guessing is a drain plug. Unfortunately I wasnt able to tell what was on the tag, too much slime. To the right of that there is what looks like a dual wire in a sleeve coming out just to the left of the cone that the rear driveshaft connects to at about the 8 o'clock position. Don't you just love my tech-no babble?! Inside on the tunnel on the driver side is a lever that you pull up for Lo and push down for Hi. On the bottom left corner there is a slide lever with 2WD on the left and 4WD on the right.

We need to determine a value on the Wag as a whole and what she might take to get on the road so heres the run down. IF you have any goodies to fix her up I'd appreciate your info. The guys on a budget so hopefully this wont cave him in.

The good ... Shes pretty straight with only surface rust in small spots/dots, the interior is decent, all the glass is there, has A/C that blows cool, has cruise, better than stock radio, what appears to be Marchal foglights in tact, power locks/windows/seats, solid glass, solid lenses/lights, roof rack in good shape, and runs pretty good; doesnt stumble when the a/c engages, the radiator was replaced a few years ago, the carb rebuilt, and trans was rebuilt about 10k ago, all fluids looked ok, decent RS 5000 shocks, and it has the towing receiver.

The half n half ... Its got woodgrain thats faded in places but in tact, the tires are almost done but will roll for a lil while, and the drivers window doesnt go down, the sill on the drivers rear door is corroded.

The not so good and down right ugly ... The trans shifts ok but something makes a slight grind/growl when it settles from P to R and D to R which could be the t-case from what the PO was told as well as the rear diff will most likely need R&P done, their is a nasty build up around the neck where the upper rad hose connects to the block, and she is wearing a good coating of rust prevention a la a 10w30 so the valve covers will need R&R after a MAJOR bath.

Some notable stuff : no flexy hose from the air filter to the front grill as required by the smog nazis, and it seems like the air mixture flapper in the intake snorkel isnt working (another fail point), and no fan shroud.

I'll try to update when we get a chance to take a better look and have the time to pull it off. Thanks for reading this and I look forward to the input.
    Originally posted by will e
    Keep in mind. Getting old is easy. Being old is hard.
    Post #14 ~ http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=1#post1580206
  • ClovisMan
    327 Rambler
    • Jan 05, 2009

The 87 should have an NP229. I have an 88 with the flag Great Googley shifter that has Lo - Hi and the dash mounted vacuum switch for 2wd-4wd and it has the NP-229 connected to a TC727 transmission.
    Last edited by ClovisMan; 09-13-2010, 07:35 AM.
    1988 Grand Wagoneer currently in pieces across the shop.

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

727 trans. and NP229 transfer

Jeep went driver's side drop on front axles in 1980.

Far as what's it worth, not much if it isn't a driver, and won't pass smog.
      Hard to say really without pics, but I wouldn't spend more than $500 on it.
      Tony
      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• smogdredd
        258 I6
        • Jul 19, 2010

Cold air hose

The cold air hose is not required in Ca. The hot air hose to the manifold is. Iknow exactly what it's good for, find a pre smog rig that's beyond resoration like I did. Then give up You're nights and weekends for nine months.
        Last edited by smogdredd; 09-13-2010, 08:09 AM.
        '63 wagoneer '87 360 running gear except T case (207), warn hubs, 3.56 diffs and EFI Holley pro-jection using ford cfi throttle body Stock dist. with four wire HEI module.

'67 Scout 152cid w/EFI and turbo also My own a little help from Chrysler. I am a fabricator, I make stuff up!

facebookGGAutoCare

Comment

• Tigger4X
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Nov 16, 2001

Thanks guys! YOU RAWK!!

I gonna need to track down an NP229 and then contemplate gears vs axle swap. I'll check price on the air flapper valve and even though I dont need it I'm gonna put on the flexy hose cuz I like to breathe in the chilly air.

Was the rear axle a D44 or an AMC20 or

I can live without the driver's window going down so that'll be a fix for later when I stumble on the parts.

Comment

• joe
            • Apr 28, 2000

If stock an 87 GW has a D44 rear.
            joe
            "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Tigger4X
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Nov 16, 2001

She's supposedly stock so its D44 rear. THANKS!

I just found a guy who has an NP229 for $50 and is only 20 minutes away.

He HAD a D44 rear for $50, but just sold it. The hunt continues ...

Gonna go check out what all he has available in a short bit. I'll try to take pics and get a list and post 'em up in the For Sale section here. I'll post the link on here.

Comment

Working...
              X