• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redwings06
    232 I6
    • Feb 14, 2006

Thoughts on Glass Packs

What are your thoughts on glass packs? Sizes both diamiter and length. I am going to convert my 360 to dual exhuast exiting in front of the back tires and just wanted some info. Thanks
  • Gawdzilla.
    360 AMC
    • Oct 11, 2003

from what I have read, dual pipes works against low end torque.
    something to consider first.
    Ed Mitchell
    74 J10

Comment

• 8379qtj10
      327 Rambler
      • Jan 20, 2006

Hope you like noise!! They seem to get louder as they age. They get hot and when you hit a mud hole the Fibre packing breaks down and the noise goes up.

Also the rust out pretty quick.
      Tyler Johnson
      No Jeep

It's been real...it's been fun...but it ain't been real fun.

Comment

• Tad
        • Nov 30, 2001

Yup, skip the duals, unless you can fit in an "H" or "X" pipe setup, you will just ruin the decent low end these rigs actually have. Space being at a premium under our rigs it's doable, but a PITA.
        Personally I disagree with the "louder with age" concept, I think they get a bit more mellow.
        Plus, I am cheap, if I am going to trash a muffler on a rock/hill/hole/whatever, I do not want it to be some $75 heartbreaker.
        Don't know much about mud out here, maybe.
        2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
        EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
        Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• redwings06
          232 I6
          • Feb 14, 2006

It has full length headers on, It will have an x-pipe on it to regulate the exhaust flow. It's cammed with a manifold and a 4 barrel so it needs to breathe a little more and it make enough torque as it is.

Comment

I had 22" packs on my GMC with 2" pipe. They were fairly loud. They did not get louder, that I know of, in the eight years I owned the truck. They would have been quieter with bigger pipe. I would not go more than 2 1/4" pipe or you will definitely give up torque needed on the trail. My pipes turned out behind the wheels. One of my favorite things about them was that if I backed into a parking spot, the glub glub glub of the pipes almost always triggered the glass breakage sensor of the car alarm next to me.
            Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
            Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• Al Johnson
              350 Buick
              • May 29, 2002

I put Magnaflows on my 360 with 2 1/4 inch pipe and true duals. The Magnaflow is really a big glasspack, since it's a straight-through design with fiberglass packing. Very mellow rumble sound, until about 2500 RPM with some throttle, then it starts to make some noise. I love 'em!

No problem with torque, either; I gots torque!

Now running! a 360 GW engine in my Wrangler. Former owner of \'78 Wag with 401 and \'84 GW engine donor, RIP.

Comment

• Gawdzilla.
                360 AMC
                • Oct 11, 2003

I have the basic turbo mufflers from autozone. they are quiet in the cab but you can still set off alarms cruising down the block
                Ed Mitchell
                74 J10

Comment

• Lazarus
                  327 Rambler
                  • Apr 12, 2004

I ran the cheap (19.50) cherry bombs (straight through glass pacs) on my wag, long tube headers into 25" sections of cheap flex pipe into cheap cherry bombs with cheap little kick outs that exited under the rear doors...VERY LOUD!!! the fireballs made the whole setup interesting and the glowing flex pipe that occasionally caught the grass on fire after a bit of high RPMs was a blast! Im thinking of putting the same pipes back on my new wag but taking the pipes straight to the back, might not even put any mufflers on it...just straight pipes...makes smokey donuts more fun...

[ February 16, 2006, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: Lazarus ]
                  * A NEW LIFE, A NEW CHALLENGE...EVERY ROCK,HILL, AND BOGGIN HOLE OR BUST... new plans for my rigs, the 74 j truck is getting sold, the 89 wag is a temporary parts rig, and my new to me 85 J10 is getting all the attention... 36" IROKs and a punched out 401 coming its way...

Comment

• Lazarus
                    327 Rambler
                    • Apr 12, 2004

oh, thoughts....I love em!
                    * A NEW LIFE, A NEW CHALLENGE...EVERY ROCK,HILL, AND BOGGIN HOLE OR BUST... new plans for my rigs, the 74 j truck is getting sold, the 89 wag is a temporary parts rig, and my new to me 85 J10 is getting all the attention... 36" IROKs and a punched out 401 coming its way...

Comment

• ricbee
                      350 Buick
                      • Aug 23, 2005

My '81 j10 w/360 came with full length headers,2 1/4 duals,exiting behind the wheels,and its not very loud.
                      '81 J10
                      '85 J10 Pioneer
                      '80 j10 Laredo
                      '87 J20..plow truck&winter ride
                      '82 Cherkee NT ,for sale soon
                      '81 Cherokee WT.Daily driver!
                      '51 Willys Jeepster
                      '59 Willys pick up 'Fenn's flyer'

'51 Willys wagon
                      '60 Willys wagon'Maverick'

Comment

• J10Mike
                        Delightfully Incompetent
                        • Jun 04, 2003

LOUD
                        www.j10mike.com
                        Former - 1982 J10 Sportside, 360, TFI, 727/208, J20 axles, D44HD/Detroit TruTrac, D60/Detroit Locker, D60 disk brake conversion, 4.10s, 5 inch Superlift, 35x12.5x16.5 BFGs on AR767 Wheels. Procomp Super Seats. MileMarker 9000 on Cliffhanger front bumper. Dozer II rear bumper. Rhino Grill conversion. NP208 floor shifter conversion.

Comment

• osceola
                          350 Buick
                          • Feb 12, 2004

As long as you dont work midnights they are ok. i had glass packs on a few years ago. my neighbors didnt like thier bedroom windows vibrating at 10:30 at night.
                          henry

Comment

• Jayrodoh
                            360 AMC
                            • Sep 07, 2004

I love em, but my neighbours always hated them. They get old on highway drives too, but you can always get a bigger stereo.
                            Honey?? What happened to the savings account? You bought a Jeep what??

86 Grand Wag Stock with Bulltear HEI

Comment

• JeepMan69
                              258 I6
                              • Aug 08, 2004

I have 24" glass packs with 2" dual exhaust pipes, with no X or H pipe, and the stock exhaust manifolds. I didn't have any trouble with low end torque before my motor rebuild. I had to be careful not to spin my tires when taking off (3.31 gears helped the spin).

Originally I had the duals come out behind the rear tires to each side. But, it was kind of annoying anytime I passed anything. I would hear the sound blasting back at me from what I was passing. Now I have them come straight out the back, and I love it.

Now I'm not getting the low end torque I should, but I'm still trying to work out my carb/timing/possible vacuum leak problems. I don't think it's related to the exhaust pipes.

Sounds great, I love being able to start my Jeep in the morning, then go back inside, and hear everything my Jeep is doing outside. Sounds very mean! I've gotten a lot of comments about how good it sounds.

[ February 17, 2006, 08:01 AM: Message edited by: JeepMan69 ]
                              Aaron Lee -- Homepage
                              Main project - 88 GWag 360 rebuilt 2005, .30 over, Edl Performer Intake, Sum-K8600 Cam, Rochester Quadrajet Carb, CS-144 Alt., TFI Upgrade, S10 Steering Box, Rhino Grille, Headlight Relays, 134a AC Converted
                              Next project - 78 Chero Chief 4bl 360, will start and run
                              Parts - 80 Chero Laredo - 82 Wag Limited - 85 GWag

Comment

Working...
                              X