• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeep4myBoys
    350 Buick
    • Jul 23, 2006

Originally posted by tadsal
    Here's a better pic of cross-over steering from JoshD in PHX.
    Well, I guess I get to see one close up then . . . I bought Josh D's GW and I'm picking it up on Sat (I'm thinking of doing the SOA on my 82 Chero, not the GW!)
    Timothy
    -------
    It's for my twin boys Sure, they're only 1 year old, but it's all for them!

Daily Driver: 04 F350 6.0 CC LB FX4 Lariat

Jeep: 88 GW 360/727/229, Rusty's 4", 33" tires, Holley TA, TFI **Razor**

Comment

• Tad
      • Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jeep4myBoys
      Well, I guess I get to see one close up then . . . I bought Josh D's GW and I'm picking it up on Sat (I'm thinking of doing the SOA on my 82 Chero, not the GW!)
      You will have to look at his Wrangler, that's where that setup lies.
      NT, WT, does not matter, the concept is the same for all our rigs.
      2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
      EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
      Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• malodin
        304 AMC
        • Sep 03, 2004

here is my home built steering solution

think they will hold up?
        1977 CHEROKEE CHIEF, 401, SOA FRONT SITTING ON HD44 4.10'S, TH400/D300 COMBO, 14BFF REAR WITH TT'S FAB'S REAR SHAKLE FLIP KIT, RB'S BRONCO TANK MOD. 35'S

Comment

• uplandhawaii
          232 I6
          • Dec 19, 2006

Did you cut that out of a solid block? I don't know if I would trust the lock washer and nut set up, but everythig looks solid. Thats one hunk of steel there.
          How MUCH is that too ship to Hawaii!!???

Comment

• malodin
            304 AMC
            • Sep 03, 2004

thats not a lock washer it is a factory gm cone washer, yes it was built out of 2"x3" solid(not sure type steel)
            1977 CHEROKEE CHIEF, 401, SOA FRONT SITTING ON HD44 4.10'S, TH400/D300 COMBO, 14BFF REAR WITH TT'S FAB'S REAR SHAKLE FLIP KIT, RB'S BRONCO TANK MOD. 35'S

Comment

• uplandhawaii
              232 I6
              • Dec 19, 2006

My mistake, one of the pics looked like a lock washer. Is this a set you made? I recall you mentioned you have a mill right?

Comment

• malodin
                304 AMC
                • Sep 03, 2004

upland, i can see how it looks like a lock washer, they stick out about the same thickness as one(i coppied the factory gm cone washer depth)(within thousandsths)

yes the mill/drill/tap and the arms are all my own making...

Comment

• j20brett
                  360 AMC
                  • Jul 05, 2006

very nice work there. I dont think you will bend those
                  Kaiser - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Build Thread

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• malodin
                    304 AMC
                    • Sep 03, 2004

soon, very soon i will have my own mill and metal cutting band saw and will be able to pop the arms off and mill/drill/tap the knuckles.

if anyone needs them mill/drill/tap i can do it now, just takes me a while as i am doing them at work on my off time. next month i should have a set or two pre done and that way you can send me yours and i will swap them out.

pm me for price if you would like.

Comment

• j20krawler
                      232 I6
                      • Jul 24, 2006

sorry but...

i know you guys are most likely tired of posting about this over and over agian, but... (here comes the question that is most likely posted already) what exactly do i need to purchase for full high steer steering... all these shortened terms for components is kindof confusing for people that have never messed with steering (other than installing a DPA). i have a 4" DPA already but i dont know what i NEED to complete a high steer kit... Please and thank you!

Comment

• malodin
                        304 AMC
                        • Sep 03, 2004

so far here is what i have purchased and had on hand.

2 flat top knuckles milled drilled tapped.
                        2 high steer arms(like the pictures)(made those)
                        2 4" long stud kits as i did not want to counter bore the arms(lack of proper size counter bore)

then its a matter of figuring out what steering parts you will need.

this is up to you either run heim joints or TIE ROD ENDS(TRE). bassically the connection goes from the DPA down to the passenger side arm outer hole(i think) then you tie both high steer arms together with a rod(hence tie rod) and your set.

i will be running either my stock fsj widetrack tie rod(though i think its bent) or the chevy tie rod i got with the front axle.
                        Last edited by malodin; 07-09-2007, 08:26 PM.

Comment

• j20krawler
                          232 I6
                          • Jul 24, 2006

yet another dumb question...

iam confused about the knuckles... and the arms...and the stud kits, lemme try and use the thing between my ears real quick.... so the knuckles are the things that connect to the axle that let your tires turn.. and the arms are the rods that connect fromt the DPA to the knuckles, and the studs are the machined pieces of metal that raise the whole steering set-up to be over the leaf springs correct???

Comment

• uplandhawaii
                            232 I6
                            • Dec 19, 2006

Yes the knuckles do as you say. No the arms go on top of the knuckles, the tierod and draglink connect to them and the pitman arm. The studs are used to attatch the arms to the knuckles.

Comment

• Tad
                              • Nov 30, 2001

i am confused about the knuckles... and the arms...and the stud kits
                              It's ok, a boatload of this is confusing until you have it all sitting in front of you.
                              Let's use Casey's pic from page 1 (with some labels added).

Then match it up to it's location here...

or here...

2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                              EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
                              Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• malodin
                                304 AMC
                                • Sep 03, 2004

j20krawler, alot of it is all figure out as you go once you get your knuckles milled and a set of steering arms(those are about the only standard stuff you can grab off the shelf)(even the arms there is so much variety in though)

basically what you have to do is get the knuckles milled/drilled/tapped first thing, install them on your axle, then figure the amount of room between your leafs(if your spring over axle) or if your spring under you would then only need a set of flat steering arms(easy to make) then work out the kinks from there.

Comment

Working...
                                X