International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > FSJ-PRIS

Old 06-20-2020, 01:59 PM
327 Rambler

The other day I set to work putting up the make shift paint booth so it would be ready when I found the time to paint. It consists of two 10'x15' pop up awnings tiewrapped together to form a 15'x20' roof.

Then I put a sheet of plastic down to serve as a floor, a tarp to the front to block peoples view of what I'm doing and some clear plastic to the rest of the sides. Then I added an air filter to one side and a fan and air filter to the other to keep dust and over spray down.

This works great as a paint booth and yesterday I finally got the white shot on the bed and front fenders. I really don't like this paint gun I borrowed, no matter what I do it doesn't want to lay it down smooth. I did get it fairly smooth with only minor orange peel. It's as good as some factory paints I have seen and should be easy enough to cut and buff to a smooth shine.

Today I had planned to shoot the red on the bed, fenders and header but in spite of weather forecasts for clear sunny skies it was raining and very humid when I got up and I don't want to shoot while it's raining. So I unmasked the white and re-masked for the red and hopefully will be able to paint first thing on Sunday,
Old 06-21-2020, 04:56 PM
327 Rambler

Today was the day I have been needing for the truck. No rain and just the right temperature. So bright and early I set to work shooting the red. I got tired of trying to make this loaner gun work and after watching some videos on youtube decided to give the $15 Harbor freight gun a try. I have to say I'm pretty impressed with it. It shot better than the Devilbiss, it actually did a pretty good job. I will be using this gun for the rest of the painting.

I've been keeping fairly quiet about the paint I bought until I see how it turned out because I couldn't afford the paint I wanted or custom mixed colors so I wound up doing single stage "Restoration Shop" paint from TCP Global. I was very wary about buying site unseen and actually called them to see if I could get samples or chips so I could see what the colors look like before spending a lot of money on paint I may not like. They said they don't do that, which sucks and left me buying blind but I decided to buy anyway and after much debate and back and forth decided on Wimbledon white (You already knew that) and "Milano Maroon Firemist".

The wimbledon white is slightly different than Fords, maybe just a touch yellower but it is the exact cream color I wanted

The Milano Maroon looks nothing like the pictures on their website but it is a difficult color to get pictures of. When I first shot it I actually got kind of upset because it looked like the purple I've seen around on PT Cruisers, I think that is called "Deep Cranberry Pearlcoat" but it's way too purple. Part of the paint looking purple was caused by the blue tarp that forms one wall of my paint booth but as it cured it darkened. It's still slightly more purple than I wanted but in direct sunlight it looks amazing. It's super sparkly in the sunshine, something I didn't expect since I assumed that "firemist" meant pearl since the paint isn't listed under metallics but it is heavy metallic . I actually like it very much.

So Here are some pictures so you can get an idea of how it looks but keep in mind most are in the booth and there is definitely blue caused by the tarp and the metallic is difficult to photograph.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:40 PM
327 Rambler

Today has not been very productive due to some personal stuff going on. I did take the windshield out and found this

Which I can't say wasn't unexpected because there was a little rust hole visible beneath the windshield rubber and a cold breeze in that corner in the winter and I think rain was getting in there.

This kind of upsets me but I was kind of expecting worse given what I've seen some people have to do. This is the only major rust on the cab and it really isn't much.

So I cut it out

It's not really all that much and shouldn't slow me down too much. The funny thing is I was cleaning at the garage the other day and threw away a piece of metal that would have been perfect for the repair but it's gone now and I'll just have to fab up something.

While I was at it I also removed the back window

Fortunately there are no rust issues there. Next I think I will remove the tools, parts and everything else that's loose in the cab and take the seat and headliner out so I can paint inside as well as out. I'm still considering doing faux wood grain on the door above the door cards and possibly the dash but I don't know if I really want to put that much effort into it right now.

Last edited by Crankyolman : 06-22-2020 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:28 PM
232 I6

Looking great Cranky, can't wait to see her painted.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:00 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddversatile
Looking great Cranky, can't wait to see her painted.

Thank you, I can't wait to see it painted too

Last night I took the seat and headliner out. The door cards were already out, so now the interior is all ready for anything I want to do to it.

Bright and early this morning I made a template for the patches, then went up to my work and fabricated them. If cubeupload ever comes back on line I'll get the pictures posted, if it doesn't I guess I'll have to figure out a different service . It was simple enough, I made 4 of the larger patches, bent them and used a couple of steps on the stretcher to give them slightly different curves. When I got home I found the one with the correct curvature, welded it in and ground the weld down. You would never know it was ever repaired now.

So now I'm down to stripping the hood and cab and whatever filler work is going to get done. It's going to be a very hot day and my heart is acting up so I likely won't get a whole lot done.

Last edited by Crankyolman : 06-23-2020 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:15 AM
327 Rambler

Looks like cubeupload is back up so I can post the pictures from yesterday.

First is the 4 patches

Then the chosen one fitted to the cutout

Welded in place

and finally smoothed down

As mentioned yesterday my heart problems flared up and shut me down for the day but this morning it's behaving for the most part and I can't stand being this close and not working on it. So bright and early, while my wife slept, I snuck out and set to work on stripping the cab. That was going well until my wife woke up, she is concerned that the vibrations from the tools will cause my heart to act up again, which is a legitimate concern since that does happen but I need to get the truck sanded and I am the only one capable of doing it right now so I'm pressing on.

I should have the cab and hood stripped today and start on the filler work. I bought some paper for my Chicago Pneumatic straight line sander so sanding the bodywork should go fast. I might even have all the paint shot and be ready to start putting the truck back together by the time I have to go back to work on the first. The good thing is I go back on the first but only for 4 days then I have 10 days off so the truck should be back together soon.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:13 AM
327 Rambler

Well, I failed to get the cab and hood fully stripped yesterday but got most of it. One thing I think is kind of cool are the factory repairs I've found here and there. Here is a picture of one.

That's a small brazed repair. I have found a few others as well and I find it interesting that at a time when other factories were doing body repairs with lead Kaiser or AMC chose brass instead.

Then there is this, which is just messed up.

When I removed the headliner I found a lot of surface rust on the bottom side of the roof. What is really messed up about it is that it was never painted, in fact it appears they made the effort to mask off an area that was painted while leaving most of it unpainted

Then they used some kind of insulation stuff that held the moisture from the condensation against that bare metal. I'm amazed the roof survived at all, much less with only minor rust.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:18 PM
327 Rambler

I am so over wanting to do my own paint job I told my wife if I ever again think this is a good idea she needs to do whatever it takes to stop me. I have the cab 99% ready, it's that last 1% that's getting to me. Mainly that's the door jams, they are taking far too much effort. I also decided I need to do the inside of the cab while everything is out and that's adding to both time and frustration and I'm having trouble finding the motivation to finish it but I'm trying to push through.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:14 PM
327 Rambler

I finally got the white shot on the cab this morning , I think I have just enough left to do the hood, tailgate and cowl grill but it might be close since I screwed up and will also need to touch up a 6 inch area on the passengers door and some minor areas throughout the truck but I guess I will see how that goes. I might order another quart of paint just to have for any necessary touchup.

Tomorrow I go back to work but I chose 2nd shift for the month so I hope to have enough time in the morning to prep the lower half of the cab and get the lower color shot before I go in to work. It might not happen but if not tomorrow it will happen the next day. Then I can start putting the cab back together, move it out of the booth and get the last few pieces prepped and shot.

Hopefully I will get all the painting finished within the next 5 days so when I'm off for the 10 after that I can get the truck completely back together.

One more thing

While sanding on the truck I realized something that made me feel like a complete idiot. All the time, effort and money I put into new bedside panels and having the bed "Professionally" repaired because nobody makes properly fitting patch panels could have been easily and cheaply avoided. It occurred to me that the perfect bad side patch panels actually are available and fairly easy to find and they were made by AMC, so they are actually the correct shape. All I would have had to do was find some junk yard doors, cut the sections I need out of them and use them as patch panels. This would also eliminate the rust seam. The reason I feel so stupid is when I bought the junk yard tailgate at pick-n-pull the truck that was there had good doors and it was half off day so I could have bought them for $65 for the pair, rather than the hundreds I paid for the poorly made panels I bought from BJ's.

Last edited by Crankyolman : 06-30-2020 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:24 PM
327 Rambler

I only managed to get the upper half masked and the final sanding done on the lower half of the cab today because I had to go back to work and according to my wife they don't want me going back looking like a homeless man. I had things all planned out too but it's best not to rush things and if the weather cooperates it will get painted tomorrow morning but the weather people aren't expecting it to. If it does decide to cooperate hopefully Friday I can start putting the cab back together, put the interior back in, maybe even get the windshield and rear window back in. If I can pull that off I could work on the hood and tailgate Saturday and actually start reassembly on Sunday, maybe even have it presentable by the end of next week
Old 07-02-2020, 11:21 PM
327 Rambler

I got the lower part of the cab painted today

The plan for tomorrow is to reinstall the windshield and back window and try to put the interior back together
Old 07-03-2020, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Those colors look SOOOoooo nice together!!!
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 07-03-2020, 12:59 PM
Shakes hands with danger

Gotta admit, I would never have chosen that color, although it sounds like you didn't exactly choose it, either. Having said that, it actually looks really good. It contrasts perfectly with the white. Both colors work well together and both are period appropriate, which is important (IMO). That truck is going to look sharp.

You are really getting after it. Keep the updates coming!

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:33 PM
327 Rambler

Thank you guys I knew from the day I bought the truck I wanted burgundy and cream I just think they work so well together, although the burgundy makes the cream look much whiter than it actually is. By it's self it is quite yellow but it really works with the burgundy.

I was very apprehensive about buying the burgundy sight unseen and depending on the light it can sometimes look a bit more purple than I wanted but I really like the final results.

Now that the cab is painted I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. last week I came very close to hitting that wall so many people hit where they just can't bring themselves to do anything else and the project falls by the wayside but I'm feeling very motivated now.

Today I only managed to get the windshield and back window installed, they weren't particularly difficult, just time consuming. So now the plan is to put the rest of the cab together tomorrow and move it out of the tent so I can paint whatever isn't currently painted.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:40 PM
232 I6

It looks so awesome, slow and steady!!!!
Old 07-04-2020, 11:40 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddversatile
It looks so awesome, slow and steady!!!!

Thank you, yes slow and steady is the best approach but I'm kind of tired of only being a one car family and am sooooooo ready to have my truck back on the road. I recently found a 66 Jaguar 3.8 Saloon that according to the interweb is the same size as my wife's Mercedes and in much nicer shape. It already has a Buick V-6, pwr steering, pwr 4 wheel disc brakes and most of the other things I was going to do to the Mercedes and it actually runs drives and stops. On top of that my wife actually likes it so it would be easy to get her into a vintage car with forever tags to "toodle around in". Since the time I spent over the past year working on the truck was supposed to be spent working on her Mercedes, I thought this could be a solution for her to have a nice vintage car to drive. The only problem is I was off work the entire month of June and Washington unemployment has their head up their a$$s and did a blanket denial of virtually everybody who has applied for the past 2 months. So the month without work ate heavily into our savings or I would probably already have bought that and been test driving it to work and back while the truck is down.

Last edited by Crankyolman : 07-04-2020 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:38 PM
327 Rambler

I haven't gotten a whole lot done on the truck today because my favorite cat is dying and it's kind of sucking away motivation 2 weeks ago he suddenly started having some issues so we took him to the vet. That was worse than any vet visit has ever been, because it was a Saturday so it was first come first serve. I got there the minute they opened and called the number they require you to call. It took 2 minutes to get through to them and get my place in line. 2 Hrs later they finally took him in and found he had pneumonia and had to drain his lungs. They then told me that the fluid in his lungs was not caused by a virus and was most likely cancer or heart disease or a list of various other incurable things and wanted to charge $300 extra dollars for lab work just to find out what was going to kill him on top of the $700 they were already charging. I declined the testing because really once you know he's dying it really doesn't matter what the reason is. So we took him home and in a couple days he was feeling better and acting normal. This continued just long enough to get our hopes up that he was actually going to be OK but last night he started acting ill again. It's obvious his lungs are filling back up and our hope is he won't get too bad until Monday when we can have a company that comes to your house to put him down rather than having to hand him over to masked strangers in a parking lot like it is some sort of illicit drug deal.

So that has sucked away a lot of my motivation but I still got up to try to get stuff done. I did get most of the interior back in

I had to leave the door cards off because I still need to put the chrome back on the door. I also got the door locks reinstalled. I didn't install the door handles because I'm going to bring them to work with me tonight and make gaskets for them. I know the ones from BJs aren't expensive but I just don't feel like dealing with them and it should be easy enough to make new ones using expired aircraft sealant and I need to make new gaskets for the handles that go behind the cab anyway so may as well kill 2 birds with one stone.

I also installed trim that goes around the rear of the cab

I can now move the truck out of the tent and reduce the tent down to 10x15 rather than 15x20 and let my yard guy do the lawn while I finish painting the rest of the parts.
Old 07-04-2020, 01:55 PM
Shakes hands with danger

Sorry to hear about the cat. We had to put one down a few weeks back, and even though I have never been a cat person, it was still hard.

Keep making progress where you can. If the rest of us are sitting around doing nothing, at least we can watch your stuff coming together.

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:49 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMonohue
Sorry to hear about the cat. We had to put one down a few weeks back, and even though I have never been a cat person, it was still hard.

Thank you, I have always been a cat person and this is probably the toughest one as far as dealing with it because it was completely unexpected. The old one is 3 months shy of his 20th birthday but this one is only around 12 or 13 and until 2 weeks ago was healthy, other than seasonal allergies but Siberian Forrest cats are known to have heart problems, probably because of their size.

One of the vets actually made me quite angry because she called him overweight because he weighed 14 pounds when we brought him in. We had to ask if she had actually put her hands on him because he is super skinny and HE'S A BIG FREAKING CAT!!! His normal weight is 18 pounds, which is small for a Siberian.

Siberians are also known for their "dog like loyalty" He is like that, he worships me like a god and I will miss having him around and doing our daily ninja checks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMonohue
Keep making progress where you can. If the rest of us are sitting around doing nothing, at least we can watch your stuff coming together.

I will continue pressing on. I decided to order the door handle gaskets after all but I'm in no hurry for them. Tomorrow I will move the truck out of the tent and rearrange it to reduce it's footprint and see about getting the last bits painted.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:29 PM
232 I6

The door handle gaskets are nice, but the lock gaskets didnt work, fell off. I still have them, found them in the driveway. Made to big or may have stretched