• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris Barry
    327 Rambler
    • Mar 31, 2004

NP229

I have an '85 Grand Waggy with the np229. My front axle is NOT the axle disconect style. I have a Dana 44 up front and AMC 20 in the rear(don't ask how I fit it there) . If I put manual hubs up front, what will happen? I know I'll fry the VC if I go in 4wd without the hubs locked(or so I'm told). Someone told me that the np229 is a full time unit. I don't see why It would be if it gives the option of 2wd, 4hi and 4low. I did a search and didn't find the info I was looking for. Oh, yeah, I was also told that the np229 has a slip yoke for the output shaft. Mine has fixed yokes.
    '85 Grand Waggy 360/727/NP229 33X12.5R15 2inch susp lift with 2inch body lift.(wife's DD)
    '86 Grand Waggy all stock with custom sagging springs
    '85 Baby Cherokee 2.5L(my new DD)
    '89 Chevy K2500 flatbed
    '87 Ford Ranger
    '84 Renault LeCar
    '84 Honda Passport
    '66 Yamaha MG-1T
    http://www.jpricefamily.org/joy/Chris-Cars.htm
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by Chris-Bob:
    I have an '85 Grand Waggy with the np229. If I put manual hubs up front, what will happen? I know I'll fry the VC if I go in 4wd without the hubs locked(or so I'm told).
    This is true. If the hubs are unlocked and you're driving in 4WD bad things will happen....(read: the expensive VC will self-destruct).
    Someone told me that the np229 is a full time unit. I don't see why It would be if it gives the option of 2wd, 4hi and 4low.
    It's "generally" referred to as a full-time tcase because you can run in 4WD on non-slick surfaces(and cause folks like me doan like to type out full-time/part-time every time) but technically it's a full-time/part-time tcase because it does have a 2WD mode unlike say a 219 full-time case that doesn't have a 2WD option.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

What Joe said. And the 229 is a fixed yoke case.
      David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
      83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
      10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

• Chris Barry
        327 Rambler
        • Mar 31, 2004

the reason I bring up manual hubs is because I think my drive flange went out on a 3000mile road trip, thereby causing my VC to almost literally explode. The waggy by the end of the trip would just sit there while the t-case just spun making a noise similar to the drive chain going out(the chain is good, though). I have another np229, but is there a better part time t-case to swap in without changing too much?
        '85 Grand Waggy 360/727/NP229 33X12.5R15 2inch susp lift with 2inch body lift.(wife's DD)
        '89 Chevy K2500 flatbed
        '87 Ford Ranger
        '84 Renault LeCar
        '84 Honda Passport
        '66 Yamaha MG-1T

Comment

• joe
          • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by Chris-Bob:
          is there a better part time t-case to swap in without changing too much?
          A 208 PT tcase from an 80-87 Wag/Chero/J10(not J20 truck though) along with the rear driveshaft from the donor Wag/Chero(truck one is too long). You'll have to massage your H/L lever linkage to shift the 208 but no big task and as a bonus you'll lose the whole vacuum shift BS.
          joe

Comment

• Chris Barry
            327 Rambler
            • Mar 31, 2004

[quote]Originally posted by -joe:
            A 208 PT tcase from an 80-87 Wag/Chero/J10(not J20 truck though) along with the rear driveshaft from the donor Wag/Chero(truck one is too long).
            So, any FSJ matching this description will work??? What is the 208??? Does it have 2wd,4hi and 4low, or just 4hi and 4low requireing the use of manual hubs to be 2wd?
            '89 Chevy K2500 flatbed
            '87 Ford Ranger
            '84 Renault LeCar
            '84 Honda Passport
            '66 Yamaha MG-1T

Comment

• joe
              • Apr 28, 2000

It's got 2H, 4H, N, 4L. Since it is a part-time case you "must" be on a slick/dirt whatever surface to operate it in either of the 4WD modes. Unlocking hubs are a plus which save a bit of wear and tear on the front axle and maybe some(few) mpg's if the whole rig's driveline isn't worn too bad. But they're not mandatory just recommended. You'll also be able to(assuming hubs are locked in) still shift-on-the-fly with the 208 when roads get icy/snowy etc and again back into 2H when the road clears.
              joe

Comment

Working...
              X