• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SJTD
    304 AMC
    • Apr 26, 2012

Glass Tinting

I’ve got all the glass out for painting; seems like a good time to apply the tint before reinstalling.

Any down side to applying it before installing the glass? Much easier doing it flat, no having to trim it close to the molding.

Maybe on the door glass it shouldn’t go to the edges where it will rub in the channels?

What’s the most bestest brand? 3M Has their Crystalline stuff. CR70 is supposed to block 97% of the IR, CR90 is supposed to block 90%.

I believe Ca requires 70% minimum transmission on the front doors. Anyone know about the windshield? Is the 90% legal?

Looked at having tinted glass cut and tempered. My local place says they don’t do it. I looked on the web and my glass thickness, .16” I think, does not seem to be available in gray.
    Last edited by SJTD; 08-26-2015, 08:06 AM.
    Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
  • FSJunkie
    The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
    • Jan 09, 2011

What the law says for tinting and what a policeman will pull you over and cite you for depends on the policeman's eyes and personal judgement.

I have too many visions of tinting bubbling and peeling off.
    '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

In CA...NO tint is legal on front windows including the windshield without a doctor's prescription.

"Can I put after-market tinting on the windows of my vehicle?
      The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:
      1. The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
      2. If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.
      The law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows, with certain limited exceptions.

However, legislation signed into law effective January 1, 1999, exempts from the above prohibition specified clear, colorless, and transparent material that is installed, affixed, or applied to the front driver and passenger side windows for the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. If, as, or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or otherwise worn, it must be removed or replaced."

Owned many cars, seen many on the road with Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted! near limo tint on the fronts, so basically do whatever you want.
      Just be willing to peel it off if you get a fix-it ticket.

Stick with 40 on rear and 70 on fronts. The 3M stuff is good good!
      I don't think I'd do a windshield, but your call.

No problem with doing tint on the glass out of vehicle. Very easy and better results IMHO.
      Just cut it so you have ~1/8" before glass edges, and run over it with clear nail polish to keep it glued down and any edges from starting to peel.
      Tony
      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

Seriously "D A M N" is filtered
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Locked and Loaded
          350 Buick
          • Jul 04, 2006

Huper Optik Drei is the best. I have it on my J10 and my wife's Caprice. It will be on my Waggy when it cools down. It's used on high end cars. Not dark. But it sure blocks the heat. It ain't cheap. But the best never is.
          Jeff

Drink more water.

"Nothin' ain't worth nothin'.
          But it's free"
          Kris Kristofferson 1970

1981 J10, 258, T176, NP208

Comment

• SJTD
            304 AMC
            • Apr 26, 2012

Huper's site shows only 35% for Drei. Tooo dark. They've got C70 and Klar85 but their quoted IR blocking is not as good as 3M's claims.

Can you buy Huper's stuff. Little looking leads me to believe it has to be installed by their dealers.

Don't like the two tone look so the sides will all get the same stuff either the 90 or 70.
            Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Locked and Loaded
              350 Buick
              • Jul 04, 2006

It's really not that dark.

Jeff

Drink more water.

"Nothin' ain't worth nothin'.
              But it's free"
              Kris Kristofferson 1970

1981 J10, 258, T176, NP208

Comment