• Nov 21, 2004

This is some real good information. Currently getting the same issue:
    Holley TA 670
    Compcam 260H
    Edlebrock shorties
    Performer intake
    msd offroad
    billet dizzy and blaster coil.

Went down to a 64 primary. Did not change secondaries. Didn't know about the secondary blocks (need to check my choke). Change the power valve to 6.5. I am at about 7 degrees on the timing will up that a little tomorrow.

Will be following this thread intently.
    1991 Grand Wag "The Phoenix!" IS back from the ashes!!!
    My Yahoo
    BJ's 6" lift
    Holley Truck Avenger 670CFM
    Mickey Thompson Wheels
    Dick Cepeck FC-II
    Killer 32 Nurf Bars
    Comp Cam 260H
    MSD Distributor, Coil and Controller
    Edlebrock Headers
    Dual Exhaust 2 Flowmaster 50's

Comment

• my 2j20's
      258 I6
      • May 26, 2005

Truck Averngertuning tips?

What it has #1 on the choke horn

Comment

• BLiP
        232 I6
        • Sep 24, 2006

Ok earlyier you said it runs better but after awhile it seems to run more sluggish I would check the fuel pressure while running I had a holley blue on my 1985 Rx7 when I did a holley 600cfm carb conversion and the fuel pump gave me all kinds of problems I hated it I wanted to toss the pump in the trash it would start off with 6psi and after like 20-30 mins it would drop down to 3 psi at idle and at wide open throttle the float bowls would go dry I hated that pump and swore I would never go back to holley pumps
        81 Cherokee W/T T18 D20
        http://www.myspace.com/blipondarader
        Shallow Pockets Racing Team
        That Blowed up Real Good

Comment

• bluesman2a
          232 I6
          • Aug 08, 2004

OK, I've been running into some of the same stuff on my M-715, GREAT tech here, I have a little more to add to the pot...

After a bit of reasearch I was able to determine that there is problem with the Truck Avenger Gen-1 carbs. The issue is an off-idle stumble and other assorted tuning problems.

The Gen-1 Truck Avengers (part number 90670-1) had a couple of design problems. While Holley did not have a general recall on them, if you call and talk to them, tell them you are having problems, they will swap you the updated 90670-2 free of charge.

You can reach Holley's tech support Monday through Friday, 8AM to 5PM CST @ 270 781-9741.
          ==========================

So I did that, and they sent me a newer model carb no questions asked (Gen-2, Identifiable by part number 90670-2).

My setup:
          Specs:
          Vehicle: Heavy *** M-715
          Engine: 383 stroker with vortec heads and air-gap intake 9.5 to 1 compression
          Cam:LIFT 486intake, 508 exhaust, DURATION @ .050 234 intake 244 exhaust
          Carb base specs: Holley Truck Avenger 670CFM (Gen#2, so that's taken care of)
          Ignition: MSD HEI distributor, with AC Delco plugs 41-932 gapped at

Where we started (stock):
          Stock Jetting: primary 68 secondary 89
          pump: nozzle .028 30cc diaphragm orange cam
          Power valve 2.5
          Secondary spring: black

INITIAL PERFORMANCE:
          The carb ran super rich right outta the box. Also had the flat spot everybody talks about at around 2500 RPM's. Per Spicergear's post, I checked the linkage on the accelerator pump and it was WAY off. Essentially it was running partially depressed all the time and probably responsible for fouling at least one set of plugs.

Adjusted linkage and flat spot cleared up, but coming off-idle, it'd still fall on its face, then pick up. If I blip the throttle sitting still it would sputter and die.

CHANGES:
          Moved up to .035 squirter
          Performance improved, again, but coming off-idle is still not great. Almost acceptable except pulling off from a dead stop.

CHANGES:
          Moved up to 50cc diaphragm and .040 squirter.

I tested the 0.040 nozzle with the 50cc diaphragm. It was good, again a seat of the pants improvement, but had no acceleration on the top end, and a VERY slight stumble coming off-idle. I put in a lighter secondary spring so they kick in around 2.5-3 grand, and that smoothed out quite a bit.

Based on what I learned from Holley Tech support (not much help, but I was persistent): above 0.037 requires a 50cc diaphragm. You are also supposed to use the hollow screws with the larger nozzles.

Next steps: I didn't use the hollow screws (didn't know when I set it up) so I'll change those out. At this point I have at least addressed the symptoms. I'm not sure I've solved the problem. I'll put some more miles on it tomorrow and read the plugs. If it looks like they are running lean, I'll go up to a set of 70 main jets.
          1967 M-715 SBC 383 Stroker/TH400/203/205/60/14B
          "Only half my junk runs at any one time... It's like physics or something." -- Me

Comment

• funwheeling
            350 Buick
            • Nov 21, 2004

Dumb questions. What's the choke horn? I don't see that called out on any of the illustrations.
            My Yahoo
            BJ's 6" lift
            Mickey Thompson Wheels
            Dick Cepeck FC-II
            Killer 32 Nurf Bars
            Comp Cam 260H
            Edlebrock Headers

Comment

• Lindel
              Perfesser of Jeepology
              • Jun 15, 2000

The Choke Horn is the part that sticks up out of the carb, and the choke plate lives in.
              Jeep Grounds
              RRV Homepage
              Texas Full Size Jeep Association
              1987 Grand Wagoneer
              AMC 360/TF727/NP229
              1999 Wrangler Sport
              4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• J10-401
                304 AMC
                • Oct 01, 2005

Bluesman,

Some people have OK results with them out of the box. But many don't! I was one of the "don't" guys. I have 35 years of Holley experience and I just gave up on that POS. Holley swapped it for a Street avenger that's still in the box until my next smog test is over.

I tinkered with a MC 4300 and it runs great now.

I suspect Holley has nagging quality control issues and the product is not consistent. Mine came with that stupid 2.5 power valve too. What bonehead made that standard?
                \'84 J10 Pioneer -- Edelbrock headers, Intake. MSD 8778 Ignition. MC 4-bl carb. 1970 "319" 51-CC heads. Comp cam. 401/727 B&M truck-shifter (floor), 3.73:1 gears. 31\"x12.5\"x15 ProComp A/T tires on M/T Classic II 15x10 wheels. Rear swaybar. Bucket seat conversion & redone interior. Interior roll bar and 4-point harnesses.

Comment

• Lindel
                  Perfesser of Jeepology
                  • Jun 15, 2000

It's easier to take a universal Holley 600 and mod it, probably cheaper in the long run too.

You get a better selection of parts to start with, and all you have to do is the "high angle" mods.
                  Jeep Grounds
                  RRV Homepage
                  Texas Full Size Jeep Association
                  1987 Grand Wagoneer
                  AMC 360/TF727/NP229
                  1999 Wrangler Sport
                  4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• Gawdzilla.
                    360 AMC
                    • Oct 11, 2003

sounds to me like lean pop- increase the squirter size and put the accel arm on position #2, if that doesn't work change the cam up a size or two.
                    Dunno where you're at with this b/c I just skimmed thru it, but it sounded like you were almost there.
                    Ed Mitchell
                    74 J10

Comment

• funwheeling
                      350 Buick
                      • Nov 21, 2004

Just got off the phone with Holley on mine which is a -2.

He said that there was an issue with the -1 that caused the off idle issue with an occasional back fire. Unfortunately they have the same issue with the innitial -2's.
                      With the lifetime warranty on the holley they want me to send it in for them to test out the carb and they will fix it or replace it then.

I told him that with the lifetime warranty I'll wait till after hunting season.

The issue is that something in the metering block was drilled in the wrong direction.
                      My Yahoo
                      BJ's 6" lift
                      Mickey Thompson Wheels
                      Dick Cepeck FC-II
                      Killer 32 Nurf Bars
                      Comp Cam 260H
                      Edlebrock Headers

Comment

• my 2j20's
                        258 I6
                        • May 26, 2005

Truck Avenger tuning tips?

That's good news! i'll pull it off right now and ship to em....

Thanks for the info.

Comment

• funwheeling
                          350 Buick
                          • Nov 21, 2004

Here's another one that I forgot to mention.

When I first received my holley, I took it apart to learn about it. Inside the holes in the metering block I noticed a buch of filings from the drilling process.

I highly recommend that anyone how has not take apart your holley and checkout all your channels in the carb.

Take it for what it's worth.
                          My Yahoo
                          BJ's 6" lift
                          Mickey Thompson Wheels
                          Dick Cepeck FC-II
                          Killer 32 Nurf Bars
                          Comp Cam 260H
                          Edlebrock Headers

Comment

• funwheeling
                            350 Buick
                            • Nov 21, 2004

Update from my tweaking.

Well my hesitation is almost gone and almost doesn't backfire.

What I did:
                            Took off air cleaner
                            Got up on engine to be able to look inside of carb
                            With the choke held open slowly activated the throttle linkage.
                            Took note that mine took about 5 to 10 degrees before gas came out the jets
                            Adjusted the ny-lock nut over the spring to make sure the power valve cam was touching the throttle linkage cam.
                            Jumped up on engine and activated cam
                            Notices this time that gas cam out between 5 and 8 degrees.
                            Took ny-lock nut and placed washer under power valve cam and replace nut till there was some tension on spring bu not pushing on power valve
                            Gas cam out a lot faster
                            Took for a test drive.

A lot less hesitation and only 1 back fire.
                            May add another washer
                            Need to wait till tomorrow to get another timing light. Fan ate mine.

Over all this was a huge improvement. I really had issues in reverse and that is almost gone as well. Will update after I finish tomorrow.
                            My Yahoo
                            BJ's 6" lift
                            Mickey Thompson Wheels
                            Dick Cepeck FC-II
                            Killer 32 Nurf Bars
                            Comp Cam 260H
                            Edlebrock Headers

Comment

Working...