International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Miscellaneous > Site Suggestions

Old 10-01-2006, 10:10 AM
360 AMC

VIN registrar?

hey ya'll what you think of starting a VIN registrar? possibly be a sticky or have its own sub forum deal?

after reading the stock or custom thread the other day - i've fought this same mental battle too cause I swear on all that is holy I have never seen a 74 jeep as clean as i lucked into as far as all the original paint, hoses, etc etc all being there and being rust free and unmolested anyhow ( i know i run on.... sorry )

anyhow i've seen other forums with this and though my interest would be finding out how many 74 401 cherokee S have been built though it may be hard to have a thread dedicated to every style cherokee, truck, wagoneer, etc etc... on the other hand though combined threads would be large and difficult to navigate... so it could be easy or hard to setup depending on POV

i don't have my VIN handy however this is how i imagine a sample post -

-74 AMC Jeep Cherokee S 401/400/QT etc, etc,etc

-VIN #

-all the numbers off the body tag

-a breakdown of what you may know about the VIN or BODY tag numbers, or axles tags, transfer case tags, etc etc

-and then maybe a little description - white vinyl interior, or factory mags, underdash A/C, etc, etc

so we know for example that we started with a 5 digit 00,001 and 14,082 Cherokees were made in 74 according to IFSJA tech library we could theorotically have 14,082 VIN entered into the system and find out exactly how many which option were made for every year cherokee, or j-truck, or whatever were made

sound like fun guys/gals?

heck didn't even think of it till now... i guess I should be putting this in suggestion forum LOL? but i guess i was wanting to know if ya'll got the possible man-hours to manage such a thing, i usually can get on a few hours a week, and at times when my back problems act up i can spend more time obviously
Old 10-01-2006, 07:13 PM

Jeff,
Elliot and some Kaiser guys tried that when they had their forum up (forum didn't last long), small forum but the VIN thing was sort of cool. Problem as I saw it was that it was all visual, nothing in a database that could be sorted or searched.
I'm not sure that's an option for software like this (I have no clue how this stuff works really).
I think Adam is still on vacation but he will see this when he gets back.
Pretty cool idea.

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Quote:
...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...

Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Old 10-02-2006, 08:19 AM

That may be more appropriate for the FSJwiki that Shimniok is working on. The wiki progrmaing allows for databases like that. We might want to ask him........
The worst thing about rolling my jeep.....is trying to lick the paper...
Old 10-03-2006, 07:53 AM
Perfesser of Jeepology

To date, -joe (Joe Schaefer) has been the best "VIN Registrar" that we've got. He's pretty much able to decypher most of the VIN's thrown at him. We might consider getting his input.
1987 Grand Wagoneer
AMC 360/TF727/NP229
1999 Wrangler Sport
4.0L/AX-15/NV231

Quote:
“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction” by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...
Old 10-03-2006, 08:44 AM
Dexron Impaired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindel
To date, -joe (Joe Schaefer) has been the best "VIN Registrar" that we've got. He's pretty much able to decypher most of the VIN's thrown at him. We might consider getting his input.

Lindel, that's a good idea and I agree, Joe is really good with this. He's the one who figured out the paint codes on Peso and determined it was a Golden Eagle package.

I spoke to Joe before he left and he's out of pocket again til around Thanksgiving.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:35 PM
360 AMC

yea I pretty much had Joe in mind when i thought who should oversee such a project, maybe him and shimniok would be up for tag teaming that kind of a thing

from a user's standpoint - i never saw elliots deal - was just a simple post and I would reckon it would take a while to actually have enough info to start compiling the data

the older these trucks get the more important i see this kind of thing being needed. for example i would LOVE to chop the Cherokee i have but i have a feeling not too many cherokee s 401 were built in 74 and i hate to ruin it... now give me a woody and i'll chop the crap out of it
Old 10-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Señor Jackhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue
the older these trucks get the more important i see this kind of thing being needed. for example i would LOVE to chop the Cherokee i have but i have a feeling not too many cherokee s 401 were built in 74 and i hate to ruin it... now give me a woody and i'll chop the crap out of it

We crushed a 74 Z rated Cherokee in 2003. I didn't even flinch.
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com
Old 10-06-2006, 10:22 AM
Perfesser of Jeepology

You don't mention where the engine was when said Chero was flattened.....
1987 Grand Wagoneer
AMC 360/TF727/NP229
1999 Wrangler Sport
4.0L/AX-15/NV231

Quote:
“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction” by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...
Old 10-06-2006, 03:37 PM
Gone,But not Forgotten.

Fellow drunken and armed moditaters;

I saw a FSJ vin# site in the UK about 5 years ago but my brain fragged since then. ... Maybe this post can trigger some other brain to fragg.

Have a good one and Eugene the Jeep says..“Jeep FSJ Jeep!” CUL.. Don S..

Ps. C_J I'm trying to remember to use the blue emocons...
Old 10-06-2006, 05:17 PM
360 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
We crushed a 74 Z rated Cherokee in 2003. I didn't even flinch.

ouch! that hurts....

thanks for making mine worth more

Old 10-07-2006, 08:07 AM
Señor Jackhead

This poor ole Cherk had been sitting in some swampy area next to a pond for several years, had settled to the axels and had mass rust. I did salvage a few things off it before the crusher took it. The 401, tranny and QT had been gone for a while. Some you just crush once you get what you want off it.
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com
Old 10-08-2006, 09:20 AM
360 AMC

some things are just too far gone to save....

Since it looks like the mods are into this, I'm gonna move this to Suggestion and see what the General Public thinks.....
Old 10-09-2006, 10:43 AM
Administrator

I agree that #1. this is a cool idea, and #2. w/ what Krista said about the future FSJ "wiki" that shimniok is working on. Once it's up and running, the "wiki" will be perfect place for this kind of stuff.

Don't understand what in the hell I am talking about when I say wiki? Then read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki
Old 10-09-2006, 12:34 PM
Gone,But not Forgotten.

... In the days before the electrical abacus (computers), the term 'wiki up' was used to describe a temporary abode made of locally available natural materials and used to shelter people and their meager belonging from the harshness of the weather.

I found this strange link:

http://www.w3.org/blog/BPWG?tempskin=_rdf

Quote:
Yesterday, the Mobile Web Best Practices document advanced to Candidate Recommendation status. Read the press release and accompanying testimonials. This document encompasses the best practice thinking of many companies and organizations around how to bring the Web to the mobile device. What is the next step? We need to collect implementation reports that detail the experiences of real Web development efforts in implementing these best practices. If you're developing a Web site with Mobile users in mind, please pick up this document and use it as a set of guidelines for implementation. If you have find ambiguities or need further detail, first look to the Techniques Wiki. If you can't find an answer there, please post to the public mailing list and a working group member will respond. If you find some incomplete or erroneous information in the Wiki and you think you know better, I encourage you to modify the page in question. Our intention is to build this Wiki up as a living body of knowledge about Mobile Web Development, around the core of the best practices guidelines we've just published. I see this Wiki as being more useful in the long-run than the best practices themselves, especially as it begins to aggregate information from implementers from around the Web. Finally, please consider writing an implementation report on the implementability of our best practice guidelines. This will help us move this candidate recommendation through to full recommendation status

Have a good one and “Jeep FSJ Jeep!” CUL.. Don S..
Old 10-11-2006, 04:05 AM

I used to have a '53 CJ3B and I listed the VIN an a CJ3B website. It was good because if you ended up with an old vehicle and searched you could find the previous owners or even a history of the vehicle.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:54 AM
FSJ Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone
I used to have a '53 CJ3B and I listed the VIN an a CJ3B website. It was good because if you ended up with an old vehicle and searched you could find the previous owners or even a history of the vehicle.

Yeah, they have similar sites for Scramblers too. I'll see if I can't find them again.
Texas A&M Offroad
Old 10-15-2006, 08:10 AM
360 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dome
I agree that #1. this is a cool idea, and #2. w/ what Krista said about the future FSJ "wiki" that shimniok is working on. Once it's up and running, the "wiki" will be perfect place for this kind of stuff.

don't want to read into things.... i assume you mean since the wiki is a perfect place for this that it won't happen here?
Old 10-16-2006, 07:57 AM

We could leave a sticky in place and add it to the tech sections if I wiki is created. The reason I am leaning towards a wiki set up rather that a forum set up is that wiki is designed specifically to house datebases of info. It's easily searchable and very easy to read. In a forum based thread (I think) it would be more difficult to format and read.
The worst thing about rolling my jeep.....is trying to lick the paper...
Old 10-16-2006, 05:31 PM
360 AMC

yea and it would NEVER go OFF TOPIC if it were a thread
Old 10-30-2006, 04:13 PM
Administrator

FSJ VIN Decoder

Ok, so I never actually completely finished the code for this this, but it works fairly well for most FSJ VIN numbers:

http://www.jtruck.net/cgi-bin/fsjvindecoder.cgi

Give it a try - no guarantees but it's done well for me.

JC Jones