International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 01-23-2020, 04:24 PM
232 I6

Door Latch

I have a door that won't latch. From feeling and looking in the door, it seems like there is a spring of some sort that is missing. The part on the door that is supposed to rotate and latch just spins all the way around. From looking at the other door, it seems there should be some kind of spring or something that is pressing into the rotating latch mechanism on the inside of the door?
Has anyone had this issue? Can anyone tell me if there is a part I can buy for this or if I am going to have to try and disassemble something at a junkyard?

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:49 PM
350 Buick

I think BJ's has replacement springs
Old 01-25-2020, 08:48 AM
232 I6

Yeah, I wasn't sure if what they had was the spring I need, but I will talk to them and see, I guess
Old 02-13-2020, 08:40 AM
232 I6

Are you talking about the latch on the B-pillar and C-pillar?

There should be a little nylon "ramp" that is attached to a spring.

If you to 32min and 59 sec of my zinc plating video, you'll have a good view of it. I'm sloooowly restoring my '86, and there are a few videos. some are useful (though not very well done)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwP0tKnsx4U
Old 02-20-2020, 08:45 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76j10build
Yeah, I wasn't sure if what they had was the spring I need, but I will talk to them and see, I guess

How's your research for spring so far?
Old 02-21-2020, 06:50 PM
232 I6

Honestly I have been sidetracked getting the lift installed. Finished that today and started bleeding the brakes to discover one of the calipers is leaking. So tomorrow new calipers and get the brakes working and it may go for its first drive in years. Then I will be tackling new wiring and the door latch and window seals. Hopefully I can find time this week to make some calls inquiring about the springs
Old 02-21-2020, 11:58 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

Quote:
I have a door that won't latch. From feeling and looking in the door, it seems like there is a spring of some sort that is missing. The part on the door that is supposed to rotate and latch just spins all the way around. From looking at the other door, it seems there should be some kind of spring or something that is pressing into the rotating latch mechanism on the inside of the door?
Has anyone had this issue? Can anyone tell me if there is a part I can buy for this or if I am going to have to try and disassemble something at a junkyard?

I had this issue on the 74, replaced the whole door latch , the one on the door jamb, yes the inside spring was broken. Of course it happened on a forest road, 200 miles from home and on the driver's door... bundled a strap around the open window pillar and the B pillar, yes you have to drive with the window open, it was summer... headed to the nearest junkyard, and luckily they had a few FSJ... of the correct YM

J&W in Sacramento could be a good source

this is the item that you need

the one on the left for the 78 and older vintage

See Ouray 2013, Engine bits and Fuel and brake lines, and Body work
Old 02-23-2020, 06:09 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by letank
I had this issue on the 74, replaced the whole door latch , the one on the door jamb, yes the inside spring was broken. Of course it happened on a forest road, 200 miles from home and on the driver's door... bundled a strap around the open window pillar and the B pillar, yes you have to drive with the window open, it was summer... headed to the nearest junkyard, and luckily they had a few FSJ... of the correct YM

J&W in Sacramento could be a good source

this is the item that you need

the one on the left for the 78 and older vintage

Good trick man nice! We will be working on my uncle's '74 FSJ right after we finished installing the installation of the new wheels and tires plus brake pads on the current Silverado project. Both front doors are acting up so we'll visit the junkyards nearby and see of they got some good stuff sitting around.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:44 AM
232 I6

Can anyone tell me if the rear door latches are identical to the front latches? I found a later model wagoneer in a local salvage yard - the drivers latch has already been taken, so I am wondering if I can get the latch off of the DS rear door?
(I actually only need the passenger latch, but I would like to get both sides so they match on my truck...)
Old 03-13-2020, 07:26 AM

I had this issue with the Later style latch. In my case, the "U" latch was so worn that it wasnt getting pushed that last little bit to latch. So, I welded more material to the "U" and contoured it to work. I adjusted the Door, the bolt for hours trying to get it to latch but nothing worked until I added the metal. I would have rather gotten a new latch mechanism. I also had the latch return spring on the same door break. I got some off of Ebay for a '56 Dodge that worked.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:15 AM
350 Buick

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if the rear door latches are identical to the front latches? I found a later model wagoneer in a local salvage yard - the drivers latch has already been taken, so I am wondering if I can get the latch off of the DS rear door?
(I actually only need the passenger latch, but I would like to get both sides so they match on my truck...)

As was mentioned earlier the later latches are different. The cut-off point was somewhere during 1979. Although the latches can be made to fit each opposing door with some effort, it is not a viable swap. The strikers on the pillars are also different and will not work with the opposing latch.
Resistance is not futile yet.
Are you and your children connected yet?