International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-23-2020, 04:24 PM
76j10build 76j10build is offline
232 I6
 
Join Date: Nov 13, 2019
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 29
Door Latch

I have a door that won't latch. From feeling and looking in the door, it seems like there is a spring of some sort that is missing. The part on the door that is supposed to rotate and latch just spins all the way around. From looking at the other door, it seems there should be some kind of spring or something that is pressing into the rotating latch mechanism on the inside of the door?
Has anyone had this issue? Can anyone tell me if there is a part I can buy for this or if I am going to have to try and disassemble something at a junkyard?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-23-2020, 07:49 PM
SnowShoe's Avatar
SnowShoe SnowShoe is offline
350 Buick
 
Join Date: Feb 24, 2008
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 1,255
I think BJ's has replacement springs
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-25-2020, 08:48 AM
76j10build 76j10build is offline
232 I6
 
Join Date: Nov 13, 2019
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 29
Yeah, I wasn't sure if what they had was the spring I need, but I will talk to them and see, I guess
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-13-2020, 08:40 AM
uberhahn uberhahn is offline
232 I6
 
Join Date: Dec 14, 2003
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 67
Are you talking about the latch on the B-pillar and C-pillar?

There should be a little nylon "ramp" that is attached to a spring.

If you to 32min and 59 sec of my zinc plating video, you'll have a good view of it. I'm sloooowly restoring my '86, and there are a few videos. some are useful (though not very well done)


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwP0tKnsx4U
__________________
It followed me home, honest...
Newly acquired 1986 GW. 4” (I think Rusty’s lift).
Needs interior work. Smells like a refinery on the outside. Relatively rust free.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-20-2020, 08:45 PM
Jeeper555 Jeeper555 is offline
232 I6
 
Join Date: Feb 22, 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76j10build
Yeah, I wasn't sure if what they had was the spring I need, but I will talk to them and see, I guess




How's your research for spring so far?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-21-2020, 06:50 PM
76j10build 76j10build is offline
232 I6
 
Join Date: Nov 13, 2019
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 29
Honestly I have been sidetracked getting the lift installed. Finished that today and started bleeding the brakes to discover one of the calipers is leaking. So tomorrow new calipers and get the brakes working and it may go for its first drive in years. Then I will be tackling new wiring and the door latch and window seals. Hopefully I can find time this week to make some calls inquiring about the springs
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-21-2020, 11:58 PM
letank's Avatar
letank letank is offline
AMC 4 OH! 1
 
Join Date: Jun 03, 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 3,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76j10build
I have a door that won't latch. From feeling and looking in the door, it seems like there is a spring of some sort that is missing. The part on the door that is supposed to rotate and latch just spins all the way around. From looking at the other door, it seems there should be some kind of spring or something that is pressing into the rotating latch mechanism on the inside of the door?
Has anyone had this issue? Can anyone tell me if there is a part I can buy for this or if I am going to have to try and disassemble something at a junkyard?



I had this issue on the 74, replaced the whole door latch , the one on the door jamb, yes the inside spring was broken. Of course it happened on a forest road, 200 miles from home and on the driver's door... bundled a strap around the open window pillar and the B pillar, yes you have to drive with the window open, it was summer... headed to the nearest junkyard, and luckily they had a few FSJ... of the correct YM


J&W in Sacramento could be a good source


this is the item that you need



the one on the left for the 78 and older vintage


__________________
Michel
74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
85 Gwag, 226 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

See Ouray 2013, Engine bits and Fuel and brake lines, and Body work
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-23-2020, 06:09 PM
Jeeper555 Jeeper555 is offline
232 I6
 
Join Date: Feb 22, 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by letank
I had this issue on the 74, replaced the whole door latch , the one on the door jamb, yes the inside spring was broken. Of course it happened on a forest road, 200 miles from home and on the driver's door... bundled a strap around the open window pillar and the B pillar, yes you have to drive with the window open, it was summer... headed to the nearest junkyard, and luckily they had a few FSJ... of the correct YM


J&W in Sacramento could be a good source


this is the item that you need



the one on the left for the 78 and older vintage






Good trick man nice! We will be working on my uncle's '74 FSJ right after we finished installing the installation of the new wheels and tires plus brake pads on the current Silverado project. Both front doors are acting up so we'll visit the junkyards nearby and see of they got some good stuff sitting around.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-12-2020, 10:44 AM
76j10build 76j10build is offline
232 I6
 
Join Date: Nov 13, 2019
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 29
Can anyone tell me if the rear door latches are identical to the front latches? I found a later model wagoneer in a local salvage yard - the drivers latch has already been taken, so I am wondering if I can get the latch off of the DS rear door?
(I actually only need the passenger latch, but I would like to get both sides so they match on my truck...)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-13-2020, 07:26 AM
rocklaurence rocklaurence is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 14, 2009
Location: 33812, Lakeland, Fl
Posts: 1,718
I had this issue with the Later style latch. In my case, the "U" latch was so worn that it wasnt getting pushed that last little bit to latch. So, I welded more material to the "U" and contoured it to work. I adjusted the Door, the bolt for hours trying to get it to latch but nothing worked until I added the metal. I would have rather gotten a new latch mechanism. I also had the latch return spring on the same door break. I got some off of Ebay for a '56 Dodge that worked.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-23-2020, 09:15 AM
threepiece threepiece is offline
350 Buick
 
Join Date: Sep 17, 2005
Location: Farmington Hills Mi.
Posts: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76j10build
Can anyone tell me if the rear door latches are identical to the front latches? I found a later model wagoneer in a local salvage yard - the drivers latch has already been taken, so I am wondering if I can get the latch off of the DS rear door?
(I actually only need the passenger latch, but I would like to get both sides so they match on my truck...)

As was mentioned earlier the later latches are different. The cut-off point was somewhere during 1979. Although the latches can be made to fit each opposing door with some effort, it is not a viable swap. The strikers on the pillars are also different and will not work with the opposing latch.
__________________
FSJ Hybrid build thread: http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43332
We are Borg, but we don't know it yet.
We are being assimilated but we don't know it yet.
Resistance is not futile yet.
Are you and your children connected yet?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
corner corner