• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rws31
    258 I6
    • Dec 10, 2016

89 GW Rebuild with 454/700R4/241C

I have been watching you guys here build your rides and there is a lot of cool stuff happening. Jeeps have always been my favorite and I have had several over the years with my very first vehicle being a 47 CJ2A. The one that has stuck with me the most is the 82 Brougham that I got in 1988. It was a great daily driver but when I got a 25ft boat I didn't have anything to haul it. So I decided to build a tow vehicle by swapping the 6 banger 5 speed from the Jeep with a 454 700R4. It was a perfect fit. I drove it till about 1999 when the body finally gave out. I yanked the engine out and used it in a hot fod for a while and then the search began for a replacement GW. After several years of on and off looking and even driving all over to look, at some so called "great shape" Waggy's, only to find some pile of rust, I finally located a near rust free 89 GW 5 miles from my house from somebody I knew no less. Go figure.

Things that were done to the 82 many moons ago included, 700R4/241C, 411's with posi front and rear. I had a Ford 9" rear end cut and narrowed for it because going from the 2.78 gears to the 411's would have cost me the same as the narrowed 9" and I wasn't to sure about putting that much torque through the Jeep axle.

So basically I had all this stuff just sitting around just waiting for the new body to show up. I currently have the 89 "drive able" with the 454 but have a ton of stuff to do yet.

Here is the 82 before the parts yanking began.

And the 89 as it got home.

First thing was to tear down the 2 and get everything spiffyed up.

Test fit engine and make the new motor mounts

With all the prefab work done I spent the next couple months tearing down, cleaning and painting all the parts and resealing everything.

Added disc brakes to the rear for better stopping and the old drum brakes were toast.

Pretty much had to build everything I wanted. Made new trans lines with trans temp gauge location, radiator brackets, A/C bracket, throttle bracket and pretty much everything else.

Here it sits at this point in time but I have a lot to do still. Interior, some wiring, and many other GW fixes like the Tailgate, door locks. It was a lot of work to get it to this point but having the 82 first helped some. I will keep up the progress on here when I can. If anyone has any questions on what it took to get it here, feel free to ask. Kind of playing catch up with the build thread.

I just noticed somebody left a beer under my hood.

89 GW, 454, 700R4, 241C, 411's with posi's, 9" rearend, 2500 stall, lifted, and lots more to do.
    1988 Ramcharger
    1999 International 4700 Crew Cab 4X4, custom step side bed
    2003 Durango 4x4
    1982 CJ7 4 banger
    2008 MB E320 Bluetec
  • toddthewelder
    258 I6
    • Dec 30, 2010

looks sweet. It's always nice to have extra parts hanging around for the next build
    80 cj 5
    87 GW
    Another 87 GW
    88 GW
    99 Wrangler
    07 Dodge 3500
    67 Chevy SWB
    2 furry shop bosses (Ash & Duke(RIP 2/13/16))

Comment

• cma
      350 Buick
      • Jan 26, 2012

Markus!

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Note: Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. - Mike Tyson

Cherokee Chief Laredo, 360 cui, selec trac, black, 12/1982

Picture story:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1019823...eat=directlink

Comment

• rws31
        258 I6
        • Dec 10, 2016

This weekend was Christmas for me so I managed to get some work done on the Wag. Yesterday I managed to get a couple things done like get the 4X4 light wired up to the transfer case and fully welded the rear spring pads so now I won't be scared to stomp on it for the first time.
        Friday afternoon I extended the track bar on the front axle and got the track bar in along with the 4" drop pitman arm. Bump steer gone now and it doesn't want to turn left when I get on the gas hard.

Today was a long day trying to get the fan shroud installed. I had a buddy bend me up a shroud and I just had to fit it. Sounds easy right? Well after an all day affair of cutting, grinding, welding and very little cussing, cause I was in the Christmas spirit, I had 3/4 of it in, kind of. I need to get it back out and finish the bottom of it and replace the top piece with one with a longer flange. All in all, it wasn't to bad. With my buddies being off for the holidays I had to cut all the aluminum with my hand held shear, also known as a circular saw and cut off wheel. Got it roughed in, just need to take it out and do the finish work on it like fill in around the radiator hoses.

That was a big task off the list, at least mostly. I did manage to get a short test drive in and with the rear end more solid I got on it once and figured out my clutch pack posi in the rear isn't going to be up to the task. The right rear tire less loose and went to laying rubber. Project for another time.
        89 GW, 454, 700R4, 241C, 411's with posi's, 9" rearend, 2500 stall, lifted, and lots more to do.
        1988 Ramcharger
        2003 Durango 4x4
        1982 CJ7 4 banger
        2008 MB E320 Bluetec

Comment

• fsj454
          Long time member
          • Jan 02, 2015

Perfect Build

VERY NICE.Top Secrets brother.....
          1982 cherokee nt. 454. nv4500 .205. dana 60 f+r. twin stick.hydroboost.hydrolic clutch.rock ram.traction bar.warn 12000 winch.4 wheel disc.flip kit.soa.high steer.cross over steer.4.56 detroit locker.35 spline rear alloy axles. 37s .1990 grand wagoneer aka trusty rusty

Comment

• rws31
            258 I6
            • Dec 10, 2016

Thanks fellas. Lots of work to do yet. I have been cruising the site for ideas for the coming work. One of the project dilemmas was the steering column. I didn't want to leave the old shifter column and just remove the lever and fill in the holes for the shift indicator. That would leave the problem of the key being able to be turned off all the way and locking the wheel while driving, not good. My first solution was to just use the 82 column which was a standard shift Wag. Well, after removing the 82 column I realized that the wipers and high beam switch were not on the column, ooops. OK, I''ll just tear down the 2 columns and make 1. Not so fast, after disassembling both of them down to the knuckle of the tilt part, I realized that they were even different. I finally threw in the towel and called Steering Column Services in Utah, nobody local seemed to know anything, and explained my dilemma. He immediately knew what I needed so I shipped everything to him for a rebuild. Apparently a couple of the pieces from the 82 column were kind of rare so he gave me a $100 credit for those parts since I wasn't going to need them. I think I have the parts list if anybody would want to try and build one. Has all the switches in the right place and has the little lever behind the key to avoid going to lock. Wasn't cheap but after pulling some of my hair out after tearing them down, I didn't care. Now to find a 3 spoke Jeep wheel like my 82 had, it's kind of rough.

I temporarily mounted the el cheepo tach on the column in front of the speedo cause it ain't working anyway.

For the trans shifter, I used a B&M ratchet shifter. I remember using the old B&M standard inline shifter and it was easy to go up or down to far and be in the wrong gear or worse yet neutral or reverse. The ratchet shifter is actually easier to control, even the wife can do it. The 4X4 shifter was removed from the 82 and hooked right up to the 241C case. Now to build a center console to pretty it all up.

My old glove box dash panel I had in the 82 is kind of holding the mixed set of old gauges I had laying around just to keep an eye on things for now and I also have the dash gauges working also. I had a S.S. White Technologies electronic speedo in the 82 and after sitting all these years in the Jeep, it still worked, wow was I shocked. Debating a set of Speed Hut gauges for the dash. That will have to wait for now.

1988 Ramcharger
            2003 Durango 4x4
            1982 CJ7 4 banger
            2008 MB E320 Bluetec

Comment

• rws31
              258 I6
              • Dec 10, 2016

I had a chance to go by my friends shop and finish the fan shroud today. Remade the top flange to match the radiator height and filled in around the hoses. Decided to make it in 3 pieces to be able to get it out without to much hassle. Drove it around on the way home pulling a small trailer and it stayed below 190* the whole time. It had a tendency to creep up while stopped before. Gonna have to decide to power coat or polish and clear coat.

1988 Ramcharger
              2003 Durango 4x4
              1982 CJ7 4 banger
              2008 MB E320 Bluetec

Comment

• rws31
                258 I6
                • Dec 10, 2016

I have been crazy busy with stuff lately and have not gotten much done on the Jeep. One thing I finally decided on was rims and tires. After not being able to find a 17x9 rim with a 4" backspacing, I decided to go with a Moto Metal 17x10 rim. It has a 4.5 backspacing but the width pushed the tires out where I wanted them. Next to find a tire. Settled on the Cooper ST Maxx 305/65/17. It looked like a noisy tire but after driving it, they are really quiet, for now. Hopefully now I can start focusing on the interior.

1988 Ramcharger
                2003 Durango 4x4
                1982 CJ7 4 banger
                2008 MB E320 Bluetec

Comment

• ProTouring442
                  327 Rambler
                  • Mar 15, 2011

Very nice!

If you have the room, ace the flex-fan and put a 7-blade clutch fan on it. Cools better and is a boatload quieter at speed.
                  You ever wonder what medieval cook looked at the guts of a pig and thought, "I bet if you washed out that poop tube, you could stuff it with meat and eat it."

Comment

• rws31
                    258 I6
                    • Dec 10, 2016

Originally posted by ProTouring442
                    Very nice!

If you have the room, ace the flex-fan and put a 7-blade clutch fan on it. Cools better and is a boatload quieter at speed.

Considered that. Still might. I think I got room for the short fan clutch. I am running an under drive pulley system so you don't even here the fan. Gonna have to wait till summer to see how it will cool.
                    1988 Ramcharger
                    2003 Durango 4x4
                    1982 CJ7 4 banger
                    2008 MB E320 Bluetec

Comment

• rws31
                      258 I6
                      • Dec 10, 2016

Well it has been way to long since I had the time to get on this sight, or any other, to join in on the fun. About 3 years ago our family sold our long time homestead and we had to find a new place and move. I have been trying to get property subdivided [fighting with the county] to relocate the family to. Another crappy part is I don't have a shop at my new [temporary] place.

I had just enough time to get it running and driving before the move. The poor Wag has been just sitting around all bored patiently waiting for me. Luckily a buddy of mine has a shop and said to bring it out and get to work on it. So I am back at it hopefully to finish it up.

Have been trying to catch up on all the other stuff happening on here also. Got lot of stuff in the works already, might have time to catch up.
                      1988 Ramcharger
                      2003 Durango 4x4
                      1982 CJ7 4 banger
                      2008 MB E320 Bluetec

Comment

• rws31
                        258 I6
                        • Dec 10, 2016

The first things on the list were correcting all the stuff in the drive line that were hastily assembled to get it moving. Things like,

Install the slip yoke eliminator kit in the transfer case. And add a CV joint to rear shaft to fix my drive line vibration and a CV joint to front shaft to help with angle. Rear shaft needed redoing anyway with the SYE kit. Now no vibration to 85mph.

Reseal the trans to transfer case adapter cause the trans guy didn't bother doing that when I ask him to reseal EVERYTHING. Add an aluminum trans pan.

Then it was time to tackle the tailgate. What a pain that was. Ordered all the seals and parts and tore into it. Found a previous repaired dent/rust hole right in the lower edge of the wood grain. Repaired that and repainted tailgate.

After that it was time to tear out the interior. Plan is to change out the entire interior colors to black/grey. Including the wood grain. Yes I know, not the wood grain.

I got the pic thing figured out but right now my TV internet service keeps going out. Every time I try to put up a pic, my service quits. I'll try to get some pics up later. I hate ATT TV/internet service, it's garbage.

IMG_20190506_180550530 by , on Flickr

Hey, I got one in before my internet crapped out.

Woohoo
                        1988 Ramcharger
                        2003 Durango 4x4
                        1982 CJ7 4 banger
                        2008 MB E320 Bluetec

Comment

• fsj454
                          Long time member
                          • Jan 02, 2015

my 1990

I purchase a 1990 GW with gray interior .Sombody did not me . I have it apart right now doing floor rot . When i reasemble i will put a complete maroon interior in. Gray gets dirty to fast .This is i do not care jeep. QUESTION Did you make those headers on 454 or did you buy them .
                          1982 cherokee nt. 454. nv4500 .205. dana 60 f+r. twin stick.hydroboost.hydrolic clutch.rock ram.traction bar.warn 12000 winch.4 wheel disc.flip kit.soa.high steer.cross over steer.4.56 detroit locker.35 spline rear alloy axles. 37s .1990 grand wagoneer aka trusty rusty

Comment

• rws31
                            258 I6
                            • Dec 10, 2016

I bought those headers in the early 90's for my 82. I was tired of blowing out the collector gaskets on the "shorty" headers that were in the 82. Never got to install them. They laid around since then. I think they are for an late 80's early 90's Chevy truck with 454. Can't remember if 2wd or 4wd.

When I put them in the 89, I had to move the collector outward on the drivers side. A small slice in the top of all the tubes and moved it out and rewelded.

The passenger side was a little more work. The front tube went to high and rubbed on the bottom of the heater box. I cut it loose and re angled it down and out slightly. Nothing a rose bud on the torch didn't handle along with some cutting and cussing.

I think they were Headman Headers but not sure. I got the bright idea to make my own exhaust and boy was that not fun. Took them and had them coated to hopefully help with the under hood heat.

As far as the grey interior goes, I really don't like brown, tan I guess, and we want something a little different. Don't plan on letting it get to dirty, I hope.
                            Last edited by rws31; 05-28-2019, 06:03 PM.
                            1988 Ramcharger
                            2003 Durango 4x4
                            1982 CJ7 4 banger
                            2008 MB E320 Bluetec

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                              Administrator
                              • Oct 31, 2016

Sweet! Hopefully more pictures will come around. Your interior sounds like its going to be awesome.
                              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                              (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                              (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                              (Cherokee Build Thread)
                              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                              X