• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 8man
    304 AMC
    • Jan 04, 2011

Rear window wiper????

Ok, I'm looking to hear from anyone with the rear window wiper on your rig. Do you like it, does it work, any info will help.

I have a tailgate with the wiper motor assembly and can install it on RT, but before I go drilling a big old hole in that newly painted tailgate, I'd like to hear if it's worth it. I have a rear window wiper on my Yukon and like it, but I'm afraid the Jeep version may have some issues.

The tailgate I got from Mdcptman shows some wear on the paint where the wiper rested after it turned off. Was there something for the wiper to rest on?

Anyway, thanks for any info.
    79 Cherokee S (current project)
    82 Cherokee (parts for the 79)

Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
  • Strode
    1st Chair, Cowbell
    • Nov 08, 2011

I don't have one, I found one at a junkyard and sent it to WH. Looking at it, I think there was a limiter switch on the window so it would not roll completely down, and the wiper rested on the little bit of the window that stuck up.

Others will know better.
    Brad
    (*Allowed to post while failed 'I am not a Bot' test results are under appeal)

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• racegas
      327 Rambler
      • Jul 15, 2012

There is/was a clear laminate piece that shows in the parts book. I think the modern day version is the 3M material that folks put on their hoods and headlights to protect from rocks.
      'Robert E Lee'
      89 GW White w/Cordovan Interior(daughter's DD)

Comment

• addicted
        Big Meanie
        • Dec 11, 2004

Yep, a strip of clear plastic tape for it to rest on when parked and the glass doesn't go all the way down for the last years because of the wiper option. They are typically crap, very small and there is no direct replacement for them other than another one from a GW or somebody sitting on an NOS part. I wouldn't put one in any tailgate that doesn't already have one.
        Originally posted by Ristow
        i bet it was Simon....
        he's such big meanie that way...
        please don't tell him i said that....

Comment

• Tripwire
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Jul 30, 2000

better test it first as they are a problamatic part an unavailable anywhere
          Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• acct21
            327 Rambler
            • May 20, 2014

All true -- glass doesn't go down all the way, there is a plastic cap on top of the inside of the tailgate to keep the lip of the glass from getting hit by something in the cargo area when it is down, and the wiper rests half on the clear protector strip on the outside of the tailgate and half on the glass edge.

The wiper is a huge help on the highway right after it starts raining, when all of the road grime is kicking up on the back of the window. Of course then you need to make sure you have a functioning washer nozzle...

The motors were a one-off for Chrysler, made by the German OEM supplier SWF -- in both Germany and Canada (have seen both). They were a poor execution of a terrible design, with the control board/electronics in the case with the motor -- which wasn't particularly waterproof.

There are no sources for rebuilds or direct replacements.

The Durango motors fit up really well -- you just need to enlarge the hole in the tailgate where the wiper shaft emerges. If you're already drilling the hole, you could consider the Durango upgrade. It is a 1000% better design.

1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)

Comment

• 8man
              304 AMC
              • Jan 04, 2011

After reading all the comments, I think I'm going to pass on drilling into my new paint. I'll keep the other tailgate and if I ever decide to do it, I'll rebuild that one and paint it then.

Thanks everyone, this was a real help.
              79 Cherokee S (current project)
              82 Cherokee (parts for the 79)

Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• 61Hawk
                258 I6
                • Jul 18, 2009

Just completed the Durango wiper motor swap, everything goes fairly easily. Biggest parts are widening the hole (I went to 1-1/8" with the step drill), notching the inner brace (I used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel), and making a support strap (you'll see the two holes you need to use (one on new motor, one the original motor mounting plate used).

Some thought you could use a 12" wiper blade, I started with that and it hit the top of the window frame, changed to an 11" wiper blade and it's perfect.

This is one of those mods that's an afternoon project if you have all the parts you need. I suspect that I'll rarely ever need it, but I have it if I need it now.

Last edited by 61Hawk; 01-19-2015, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X