• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oven
    230 Tornado
    • Oct 28, 2015

CA emission friendly upgrades?

I've posted a similar question over in FSJ tech...
    I've already upgraded my GW to FI. Not so much for performance, but to reduce the number of systems that can fail. I will have the engine rebuilt before years end and would like to know if other members, who live in California, have upgraded their cam/intake and exhaust and have had no issues with smogability? A search though here, and a google search doesn't come up with a ton of helpful links.

Thanks
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

Small cam will fly edlebrock/melling mta-1, rv or torque grind sold by many but all same.
    Exhaust has to remain single outlet and single cat, but can be enlarged to 2.5" or 3". Cat has to be CA legal, Magnaflow makes decent ones.
    Thorley headers are only smog legal headers still produced.
    Edelbrock used to make shorties that were legal if you can find a pair.
    Edelbrock performer EGR intake will fly, but technically not "legal".

Your mileage may vary some smog shops are extremely picky, some will look the other way.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• oven
      230 Tornado
      • Oct 28, 2015

@babywag I don't want a shop to have to look the other way. Unfortunately I replaced the cat/exhaust a few years back after I added the FI, so I'll probably keep the exhaust as is for now. Would you mind sharing your specific cam? You can PM if you like.

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

I was referring to the exhaust on a smog shop looking the other way.
        Some won't fail a dual system, others will because no FSJ cam with duals.

The Melling MTA-1 grind/Edelbrock performer/about 4 other manufacturers.
        All the same cam, only difference is the box it comes in.

You can find an MTA-1 or Elgin, on eBay regularly for under $150.

I have no idea what brand mine is, it was already in the engine when I bought the truck.
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

Sometimes, depending on the condition of your tune up parts, a better cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and a hotter coil will make a nice upgrade. I had just completed my tune up, then threw on a Jacobs coil and I immediately felt a smoother idle and quicker start up. It should not make much of a difference but on mine it did.

I also have a Fram Air Hog air filter. it was like $10 at Rock Auto and is cleanable so I don't have to ever buy another air filter; supposedly it flows better. If you can flip your air filter lid, you may notice a difference. I don't flip my lid, only because my filter stud is too short but would if I could.

Set your timing around 10° and take it for spin (mine runs WAYYYYY better at 10° than it did at my smog required 6°).
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
          X