• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Baxter
    230 Tornado
    • Nov 24, 2005

hood stuck

Some advice needed
    I have an 82’ wagoneer and the bonnet/hood is stuck down. There are two hood release two hinges, one on either side. The hood release lever does appear to release (there is a noise and the hood does move, but it’s mainly on the right hand side). The left side hood hinge (to which the hood release cable to attached to) does not release. I can force the hood up slightly from the left side, being able to move the release lever, but no matter how hard I try, the release lever will not move up far enough to release the hood. It just will not release the left side hood hinge. I’ve used WD40 and screwdrivers without trying to damage the grill, but I’m given up for the moment with the hope that someone has some suggestions that don’t include destroying the hood.
    Thanks
    John Baxter
    Melbourne Australia
    john baxter
  • Millerluck
    360 AMC
    • Sep 08, 2000

Get a long screwdriver and push in the arm that the cable pulls on.

It's about a foot to the right from center facing the grill.

See if that helps.

And welcome to IFSJA

Larry Miller

[ November 25, 2005, 06:10 AM: Message edited by: Millerluck ]
    88GW "Mississippi" 401,Edelbrock heads,and stuff,
    4" Skyjacker, BFG AT's,OBA,Air Horn.

'89GW "Mutt" wood for now, 360, 1405, Edelbrock cam,
    4"Rusty's,3"body,33"BFG. Detroit Truetrack Warn Hubs

The Metal Workshop
    http://www.themetalworkshop.com/index.html

Comment

• andy d
      Shade Tree Shaman
      • May 06, 2000

You need a long slender rod. you are looking for the 1/ 1/4" x 2" tab on the latch release bar that the cable attaches to. Lemme duck down stairs and get a measurement. The tab is 8 inches from the centre of the hood toward the left front wheel. To your right when you are facing the hood. If I did my metric conversion right. 8" is about 20 cm

Anyway, use the rod to push the tab toward the windshield. If this doesnt work, send me RT tickets and I'll fix it for you.
      \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

• RATTLERGUY
        232 I6
        • Nov 06, 2005

If the Wag is right hand drive would the hood release be on the right side too?

Comment

• WGNMAN123
          258 I6
          • Nov 13, 2005

not too big a deal. mine's broke too. i just keep a long slender screwdriver handy. yes , when facing the hood, it's a little to the right. i just slide screwdriver in, slide to right till i hit it, pull out a little to place driver flat on surface of latch, pop it with other hand - and woila! lift it open.
          keep threatening to fix it, but i got bigger issues!!
          my shop man calls it my 'under hood security system'...
          WGNMAN123<br />If i aint fishin, I\'m wheelin;<br />if I aint doin either,<br />me and the FISHIN\'WAGON is havin a bad day!

Comment

Working...
          X