• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lambrewski
    350 Buick
    • Jun 05, 2003

Frank in Norway - Caster Comment

Frank - you made a comment about caster being more important than pinion angle........I had to shim the front 3 degrees to get zero front pinion angle (CV at the other end of shaft)......what effects would there be by having the caster off by that setup?

Thanks
    '78 Chief S W/T 360cid +.030 & RV cam, AGR steering gear, '80's Astro Van hydroboost, '84 GW steering pump, Edel elec fuel pump, TFI, MSD 6A, MSD eCore 48Kv coil, 8.5mm Spiral, TH400 w/ TCI +2qt pan & shift kit, BW1339, open D44's w/ 3.54's, EDL1406 w/ off-road, 4" spring lift, Rancho, 15x10 MT Classic Locks w/ 33x12.5 Toyo OpenCountry M/T
  • Frank in Norway
    327 Rambler
    • Jun 28, 2000

Caster is a directional control angle that keeps the front tires turned straight and self-center the steering after cornering.

Too much caster will result in a car that is hard to steer, but keep in line well. Also too much have been said to introduce death wobble.

Too little caster will give you a vehichle that wanders and don't do much self-centering. It will feel very unstable.
    This is what happens when you shim the axle for zero pinion angle.

So, when I said that caster beeing more important thatn pinion angle this is because it's better to have a car that's safe at speed than long ujoint life.
    Frank in Norway
    http://www.fullsizejeep.com
    [email protected]
    '77 Wagoneer (360/TH400/QT, D60's, ARB's, 39,5's, Coil-spring)

Comment

• imported_Big Red
      304 AMC
      • Dec 28, 2001

frank, after my spring over, we changed the angle of the pinion (of course) but my jeep feels as if it likes to wonder. What do I need to do to help correct it? Thanks!
      1979 Cherokee WT, 360 4 barrel T18, Dana 20 twin-stick, SOA with a RB Shackle Flip, 4.27s, Hydroboost brakes, TFI upgrade, J-10 Rear axle w/rear Caddy disc brakes and 37" MTRs

Comment

• FSJ Thing
        Propane Protagonist
        • Aug 25, 2002

Alot of big words in this thread. I made a bad drawing to try and help explain:

When you rotate the axle to correct pinion angle, you're rotating the whole axle. This rotates your steering knuckles and effects your steering. 3 degrees isn't that big of a deal, but if you're noticing it and feel uncomfortable with it, the only fix is to cut off the knuckles and reweld them to the axle tubes at the correct angle.
        The Cherowagladabego Project. Updates coming as soon as I do something update worthy.

Bring back Junk Yard Genius! he may have peed in some of your cornflakes, but everything he told me was helpful!

Comment

• Frank in Norway
          327 Rambler
          • Jun 28, 2000

Just as Matt says, the only way to correct it is to do a "cut'n'turn".

But, remember that the pinion angle was not optimal when the Jeep came of the factory. In my point of view it's more important with a correct caster than pinion angle.
          This is because a vehichle that doesn't handle good is unsafe on the street. A pinion angle out of alignement only gives slight vibration and more frequently u-joint change.
          So if a cut'n'turn is out of the question, rotate the axle for correct caster.

And a picture says more than a 1000 big words )
          Frank in Norway
          http://www.fullsizejeep.com
          [email protected]
          '77 Wagoneer (360/TH400/QT, D60's, ARB's, 39,5's, Coil-spring)

Comment

Working...
          X