• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cself
    232 I6
    • Jan 13, 2008

No oil pressure after 3rd engine rebuild

Hi y'all. It's been a long time but I could really use some help/advice. I have a 90 GW with a newly rebuilt engine that now has no oil pressure. I'll apologize in advance for the long post as I wanted to give some background.

History:
    1) 2009 - Initial purchase with approx 140k miles on it (Thanks Brian!) with newly rebuilt engine and Howell TBI.

2) 2017 - Odometer 148,221. Developed a popping sound from air intake when under load. Take it to mechanic who determined it needed an engine rebuild. (thought about the LS swap but decided against it and kicking myself now)

3) June 2018 - Odometer 148,378. Engine rebuild and new radiator completed by same mechanic. Poor engine power and poor fuel consumption immediately after rebuild. Kept calling/texting with mechanic and was told everything was normal and needed to break in the engine. Fuel consumption attributed to TBI unit which they said they could adjust next time I brought it in.

4) July 2018 - Odometer 148,571. Back to mechanic with very low power from engine, high fuel consumption around 5 mpg. Mechanic replaced two spark plugs that had shorts and said that was cause of low power. Adjusted TBI unit for fuel consumption.

5) September 2018 - Odometer 149,371. Low power and high fuel consumption again. Oil change by same mechanic. Stated they adjusted TBI again.

6) December 2018 - Odometer 150,583. Engine overheating and running rough. Still have high fuel consumption. Pressure tested radiator and replaced cap. Oil sending unit replaced and oil changed. Mechanic tells me he is closing shop in May to move out of state.

7) February 2019 - Odometer 151,445. Take GW to a new mechanic to get second opinion. Performs compression and leak down tests and says I need a new engine. Contact first mechanic as engine is under warranty. He asks to speak to second mechanic. They talk and agree that second mechanic is much more knowledgeable than first mechanic. They decide that first mechanic will rebuild engine again and take it to second mechanic for testing and break in. Sounds fine to me.

8) May 2019 - First mechanic has completed engine rebuild under warranty and takes GW to second mechanic for engine break in.

9) June 2019 - Second mechanic completes camshaft break in cycles, oil service, replaces distributor cap and coil, primes oil pump, compression check. While performing camshaft break in cycle, could not run more than 8-10 mins due to reaching 220 degrees. Installs new radiator. Also ran new vacuum line for MAP sensor and correct routing for the Howell TBI which was not properly connected to vacuum by first mechanic. Sends GW back to first mechanic for final hook up of remaining items.

10) July 5, 2019 - Received GW back from first mechanic. States that after he received it from the second mechanic he put about 60 miles on it before it turned a piston. He pulled the bottom end and sent it back to his machine shop and they had to rebuild the bottom end again. Runs well on the way home and don't drive it the next day.

11) July 7 ,2019 - Drive 80 miles round trip to drop my daughter at camp. No stop and go on the way there but have to sit for a while in the line at camp. Engine overheats while in line. Park it and let it cool for over an hour. Start it back up and temps are normal for the drive home.

12) July 8, 2019 - Odometer 151,949. No oil pressure when engine started in the morning. Turned off engine and contacted both mechanics. First mechanic is out of state and reaches out to second mechanic. Second mechanic thinks the oil pump has failed.

So I'm now having it towed to the second mechanic on Tuesday to replace the oil pump. After owning it for ten years, putting less than 10K miles on it in that time, and being on its 4th engine rebuild I'm frustrated.

Questions:
    1) Is there anything else the mechanic should be looking at other than a failed oil pump?

2) What would you do in this situation? I just keep throwing money at it and feel like the first mechanic should be paying the second to fix this crap under warranty. While he covered part of the work the second mechanic did last time, I still ended up with another $1,400 bill related to the radiator, distributor, and vacuum.

3) Am I crazy to be beyond frustrated at this point? I'm to the point of shopping for a new F150 as I'm tired of dealing with this but I really love the GW and just want it to be fixed and be able to hop in it and drive without these issues.

Any advice is appreciated!
  • SC/397
    Administrator
    • Feb 01, 2010

Oil pumps don't fail.
    If the vacuum advance is not working, it could cause overheating.
    Not cleaning out the block good enough could cause overheating.
    Bad water pump.."
    What do you mean by "turned a piston"?
    The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
      350 Buick
      • Feb 15, 2010

Maybe a "burned piston?", It sounds like someone is not used to rebuilding amc v-8? Hard to diagnose something not being able to look at and touch....could have a good vacuum leak also.

Comment

• Ristow
        • Jan 20, 2006

The mechanics talked and decided the new one was way smarter yet they agreed to let the dumb one re-rebuild the motor?

You need a new team of mechanics, lol!!!
        Originally posted by Hankrod
        Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
        ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

if TBI wasn't working correctly it could have been running lean which would be an engine killer? Also contribute to running hot/overheating.
          Them saying it was "adjusted" gives no useful info.
          Very few things to "adjust".

I wouldn't allow either of previous mechanics to touch it.
          First one should cut you a big check imho. Small claims court can help with that.

Your call on another attempt, but an oil pump rebuild probably isn't going to resolve?
          Tony
          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• FMJBT
            230 Tornado
            • Mar 06, 2019

I'd look at the oil pressure sending unit if it suddenly developed a condition of zero pressure. An oil pump going bad is typically a long drawn out process as it wears down. A sudden failure would typically be accompanied by lots of odd noises coming from the pump or distributor.

Comment

• seventynine
              350 Buick
              • Apr 13, 2003

Is that the same block that has been rebuilt 3 times? What was done to the block in the rebuilds?

That's some tough luck.
              Dean

'79 J10
              '77 Cherokee Chief
              '79 CJ-7
              '79 CJ-5
              '46 CJ-2A
              '93 ZJ Limted
              '79 Cherokee Chief (traded for the J10)
              '79 Wagoneer (RIP)
              '13 FLSTN Softail Deluxe

Comment

• KZ900Jim
                230 Tornado
                • Sep 25, 2017

Did you really loose oil pressure?... is the gauge a separate mechanical unit? or the stock one in the dash.
                Try a mechanical unit and see what it says.. could be as simple as a bad sending unit.

Comment

• cself
                  232 I6
                  • Jan 13, 2008

Thanks for the replies! The gauge is the stock one in the dash. The same bock has been "rebuilt" each time, but I believe was only machined the first time. I think the subsequent rebuilds were replacements of components. It was definitely running lean after the first rebuild. They said they contacted Howell and had the chip in the TBI reprogrammed then adjusted the jets.

Comment

• Ristow
                    • Jan 20, 2006

Originally posted by cself
                    Thanks for the replies! The gauge is the stock one in the dash. The same bock has been "rebuilt" each time, but I believe was only machined the first time. I think the subsequent rebuilds were replacements of components. It was definitely running lean after the first rebuild. They said they contacted Howell and had the chip in the TBI reprogrammed then adjusted the jets.

Adjusted the Jets? in a howell tbi?

you are paying 2 buffoons in installments to mess up your car,and they have no accountability because since you are letting them tag team you on this they'll just blame everything on the other guy.

what good mechanic would start a job fixing what someone else screwed up,but then let that same guy finish the job?

there is no solution to this as long as these 2 are working on this.

you've let them "rebuild" this motor 3 times in the last 3728 miles?

here's a trajectory here you.

1. go buy an reman engine . they're junk but at least they run with some resemblance of a warranty.

2. install it yourself,with friends,with strangers in your driveway,whatever it takes that its put in by someone with any accountability to do it right even if mistakes are made.

3. take the tbi off and put the stock 2 barrel setup back on. you don't know what you're doing with a custom tbi and neither do your......whats the word for a couple of buffoon wrench graspers?

people that want older cars like these,and want to do modifications absolutely must be at least one of two things. 1. a decent shade tree mechanic. and/or 2. wealthy.
                    Originally posted by Hankrod
                    Ristows right.................again,

... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• SC/397
                      Administrator
                      • Feb 01, 2010

I seriously wish I had one on the shelf ready to go for you right now.. Someday.
                      The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• brielly
                        350 Buick
                        • Dec 30, 2002

First, do not let either of these guys touch your engine again! Tell the first guy three (or more) strikes and you're out. Ask for a full refund and if he doesn't oblige take him to court. Find a local shop that installs jasper or atk engines, they are generally pretty good and have decent warranties or as stated above install it yourself with some help. Clearly your first mechanic and/or his machine shop have no clue what they are doing. As for the howell system, they have chips specifically for the amc 360 so as long as its hooked up right it should work very well.
                        For Sale Custom built reproduction Rhino Grilles http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...24#post1676924PM me for details or email [email protected]

1982 Cherokee Chief 258 6 cyl, AX-15, NP208, mopar mpfi, hydroboost brakes.

1983 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 258 6cyl*SOLD*

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                          Administrator
                          • Oct 31, 2016

I have to agree. You are being told ALOT of things that don't make sense. They don't know what they are doing so they are trying to baffle you with BS. Like Ristow said, there are no jets to adjust in a Howell. The Howell system should bolt on and run fine out of the box.
                          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                          (Cherokee Build Thread)
                          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                            304 AMC
                            • Jul 25, 2016

dang
                            hate to hear stories like this.

someone loves classics
                            and wants to drive one
                            but gets hosed by 2nd rate mechanics.
                            ( parts changers with no diagnostic skills )

truth is, they may be able to "work" on newer stuff
                            since they are basically computers on 4 wheels
                            and you can plug a damn device into them.

look for a mechanic who has grey hair
                            and who actually worked on cars from 30 + years ago

so much more pride of ownership to drive a classic
                            than the vehicles they sell today, don't give up just yet,...

a new f-150 will just go down in value as the GW goes up !

wishing you luck
                            dave in NC
                            SOLSAKS - dave
                            1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
                            1982 J-10 Fleetside
                            1988 grand wagoneer
                            2004 RUBICON jeep
                            Benson, NC

Comment

Working...
                            X