• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sitting Bull
    360 AMC
    • Sep 18, 2000

First Aid kits

Who makes a good first aid kit? If I'm ever hurt enough to need one of these things, I want to make sure I get a good one that can handle the job. It seems most of the Walmart types are full of band-aids and tape. With as much knuckle-bleeding as we do, I don't consider those first-aid. I'm looking for something than can handle a bad situation. Any paramedics out there that can give us a good one that is not the size of a suitcase? Do the good one's come with manuals?
    Brad Reardon<br />1977ish Cherokee Chief.
  • Lindel
    Perfesser of Jeepology
    • Jun 15, 2000

Most of your outdoor/camping stores will have a good selection of first aid kits. A good one will have a wide variety of gauze type bandages, at least one large triangular bandage that can double as a sling.

Chemicals in the kit should be antiseptic, distilled water for flushing the eyes, a cold compress that will stay inert until needed (sort of like the light sticks, a few of which wouldn't be a bad idea, either). Try to avoid, if at all possible, things that can expire, for obvious reasons.

Most brand name kits that have these type things in them, will meet most needs in an emergency. One thing to remember, first aid kits require maintenance, just like your FSJ's. Keep tabs on inventory, spoilage dates, etc.

I keep the expired Forestry Kits that we get from our Govt suppy system. I don't keep the dated materials, but the bandages, etc. stay good all the time. Those interested in these type kits, take a look at The Sportsman's Guide and The US Cavalry store.
    Jeep Grounds
    RRV Homepage
    Texas Full Size Jeep Association
    1987 Grand Wagoneer
    AMC 360/TF727/NP229
    1999 Wrangler Sport
    4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• porkchop
      Master of B.S.
      • Apr 17, 2000

I have a nice military first aid kit in my wag. It is the same one that is in the Helos. I can handle any situation with this kit!

Comment

• nightflyers
        327 Rambler
        • Jul 08, 2001

One thing that I would add to Lindel's list is a good, water-proof case. I had one in my truck that I also use when we go camping. One night I had it in the tent and we had a massive storm. Everything in the tent go soaked including the contents of thee first aid kit.
        Scott McMurtrie<br /><br />78 Cherokee WT<br />360/T-18/Dana 20<br />38\" Super Swampers

Comment

• Sitting Bull
          360 AMC
          • Sep 18, 2000

Thanks for the ideas. Can I get one of those helo kits at an army surplus store?

Water-proof case...good point.

Comment

• porkchop
            Master of B.S.
            • Apr 17, 2000

I don't know but it is worth a shot to look.

Comment

• Lindel
              Perfesser of Jeepology
              • Jun 15, 2000

The forestry kits are also water tight. I can get a stock no. if anyone is interested, it's for the large crew, and I'll bet it's similar to what you've got, Bryant.
              Jeep Grounds
              RRV Homepage
              Texas Full Size Jeep Association
              1987 Grand Wagoneer
              AMC 360/TF727/NP229
              1999 Wrangler Sport
              4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• 64Trvlr
                Traveler
                • Nov 28, 2000

You can also go to Galls and get an empty bags and fill it with what you want. You can go as big or small as you want. They also have supplies to go in it too.
                41 MB<br />46 CJ-2A 307,T90,D18,27,44,4:27\'S<br />64 Traveler, 350,sm465,np205,44\'s w/4:88\'s, spool, 34X9.50 TSL\'s,3\" factory lift, Line-x interior, PS, Dual Optima\'s, custom overhead console,Warn XD900i,custom bumpers<br /><a href=\"http://images.andale.com/f2/116/106/4651773/1009696569938_64trvlrconsolegrp.JPG\" target=\"_blank\">Overhead C

STOLEN! Dana 300 Twin Stick

Comment

• irbob
                  360 AMC
                  • Apr 11, 2000

I got one of those "Blue Bird" First Aid Kits. The ones that we grew up seeing hanging above the windshield of the school buses. They upgraded/changed them all out and I was lucky enough to snag one. It's a water tight hard case with a go anywhere atitude. Watch the dates and replace those cheesy sissors with some real ones. Put a box cutter (w/extra blades) in there too. Most of them don't come with a foil emergency blanket. Need a coupla those. Knuckle and finger-tip band aids are also a must.

Remember that every kit isn't going to come equiped with what you want in it so don't be affraid to stock it with what you think you'll need. If you want to get really fancy put some splint material and army wool blankets in your rig to. Some other things are alcohol wipes, sun screan, triple antibiotic ointment, anticeptic wipes, baby wipes and a hair come so you can straiten the hair up while in the ambulance.

Something that you'll never find in a kit are a pair of mechanics work gloves. Everyone needs a pair of those babies. I had the "yea right men don't where those" attitude but once you try them you'll never go without'm. Will save a ton of scraped knuckles and a couple guarts of blood.

One last thought is there is no replacement for First Aid and CPR training. Learn how to use all that fancy stuff in the kit and be proficiant in CPR. Best thing you can do for a family member or friend. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                  Bob
                  83 Wagoneer Brougham (Rolled) Woooof
                  83 Wagoneer Limited (Parts Rig) Woooof II

Comment

• Blackjack
                    304 AMC
                    • May 15, 2001

Good point irbob. A fully stocked jump bag is only good if you know how to use what's in it(or someone who's w/ you )
                    All those posts though are great sources. The Sportsman's Guide does have a great surgical kit w/ sutures in it. If I'm way off the beaten path I would definitely want one of those.
                    Galls is good too, I've bought alot of stuff from them over the years.
                    GFD
                    Marc<br /><b>343 W6</b> <br /><br />You can\'t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline-it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -- Frank Zappa<br /><br />You\'re a feminist? aww isn\'t that cute........

Comment

• Sitting Bull
                      360 AMC
                      • Sep 18, 2000

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by GFD:
                      The Sportsman's Guide does have a great surgical kit w/ sutures in it. If I'm way off the beaten path I would definitely want one of those.<hr></blockquote>

Sutures? Man, that kit better come with a bottle of Clint-Eastwood-Numbing-Solution (i.e. whiskey) if I'm gonna suture myself. I think I'd try using duck tape first!!!

Comment

• Blackjack
                        304 AMC
                        • May 15, 2001

LOL, yeah at least. I read a story in some survival mag once of a guy who cut himself pretty good days away from a doc. He sutured himself.
                        I think I'd do it if I had to, plus you could sew a loose button on too.
                        GFD
                        Marc<br /><b>343 W6</b> <br /><br />You can\'t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline-it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -- Frank Zappa<br /><br />You\'re a feminist? aww isn\'t that cute........

Comment

• Dive 30
                          350 Buick
                          • Aug 31, 2001

Gall's mini-medic myself (customized a bit w/OB and burn stuff, as well as my stethoscope,BP cuff, and Laerdol (DAN sponsored) Pocket Mask).

Like everyone said . . . maintenance and training are the keys here. The fanciest tool in the world doesn't do any good if it has expired or is in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to use it.

I prefer second skin to sutures myself, super glue is another good one.

Phil
                          "Hooper Drives the Boat, Chief!" from 'Jaws'
                          '85 G-Wag, AMC 360 - Edelbrock Performer Cam and Intake, Megasquirt TBI, TF 727 with TCI Kit, NP-208, 4" Skyjacker Softride, Detroit EZ Locker front and rear.

Comment

• UnkleMunky
                            350 Buick
                            • Oct 17, 2000

Super topic, and super input, gang! Lots of good ideas and discussion!

I'll only add a few thoughts, as I'm usually cobbling up my own version of things! If you "can" find a "kit" that contains all you need, great, but from my own experience, unless you're looking to spend some big change, and carry loads of stuff, maybe doing a "custom" kit is a good idea.....just getting the right case to store it in is the trick(and you guys already mentioned some good ideas). I carry different sizes of "kits" that I've made for different purposes(even have one in my fishing pack). Some are bigger, more complete, others are more slim/bare bones, but all contain basics, and most more!

I've learned what I'm most likely to need myself, and what works best for me, and make sure to pack those things. A couple things some folks might find odd are that I make sure I pack regular matches as well as "waterproof" matches in my pack, along with other little goodies that can come in handy(plastic toothpics, travel-toothbrush, nail clippers, etc.). Nail clippers are handy for more than nails! [img]smile.gif[/img] I also carry an X-acto and blades, and try to keep a razor blade or two in the packs also. I have pulled MANY a sliver out with X-actos over the years, and you never know when a good blade will be handy. They don't take up much room, so I definitely pack 'em!

I probably don't go overboard by carrying "everything", but one thing I've done for sometime now is toss a good blanket over one or more seat areas for dual purpose: extra seat cover, plus, emergency blanket if need be! [img]smile.gif[/img] In the winter, I carry extra gloves, hats, hand warmers, etc., and sometimes even carry extra clothes(good year round actually), but just make sure any clothes are in a good bag so they don't get wet(or mouse eaten).

I've found some of the army surplus packs to be handy bags, and some of the little plastic divider cases you can buy cheap to be good units to have handy. I keep 1st aid stuff handy in the house, and try to carry at least a basic pack in EVERY vehicle. A "small" kit can be carried in what I call an overnight bag(about 6" by 6" wide/tall, and about 12" long).....easily fits under a seat! [img]smile.gif[/img] Can carry quite a bit in those packs if you fit them well. This is why I like to make my own.....I know what goes in and try to get at least a little of everything important in! I have, many times, been able to help people here and there with slivers or cuts by grabbing one of my packs that I carry with, and usually people are amazed that I actually carry such things in my vehicles, but the basics are darn handy!

If I were going camping/trail bopping on territory I'm not familiar with, I'd likely try to pack more, and I see a number of good suggestions/ideas in the comments already, but just wanted to comment on the "make your own kit" idea and carrying things like extra blankets, hats, gloves, etc.! [img]smile.gif[/img] I also try to keep plenty of those little "hand wipes" in a vehicle(and first aid kits) handy....you know those little "after dinner" wet-naps you get at a restaurant or can grab at some gas stations at the counters.....grab a few next time and stick 'em in your pack! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Anyway.....just my 2 x-actos blades worth there! [img]smile.gif[/img]

(Edit: PS....a couple more things- I got this from working with dogs, but if you take your dog(s) with you too, might not be a bad idea to carry pet-specific stuff too! [img]smile.gif[/img] I've gotten various pet/vet supplies over the years and some of those are in my packs too. That "flexi-wrap" stuff is one thing I like to carry as well. All in all.....just try to put everything you "can" in a pack, but also realize you need some order, so in that emergency you can get to what you need pronto and not spilling stuff all over!)

Take care....

[ June 04, 2002: Message edited by: UnkleMunky ]</p>
                            Michael (UnkleMunky)
                            '78 J10: 258, 4 speed(T18), longbed, topper
                            '01 Oldsmobile Sihouette
                            Some dogs, a few fountain pens...and too many sewing machines...

Comment

• porkchop
                              Master of B.S.
                              • Apr 17, 2000

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dive 30:
                              ....super glue is another good one....
                              <hr></blockquote>

This is the best thing I have found so far. Super glue and a butter fly. Stops the bleeding imediately and keeps the skin together for almost scarless healing. I use super glue more than I do band aides! .

Comment

Working...
                              X