• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Harrinad
    232 I6
    • Jan 22, 2019

Fuel pickup for diesel tank

For those of you who did a diesel swap on a Grand Wagoneer did you use the original tank pickup or did you need to get a larger one to keep up with the fuel flow of a 4bt? The 4bt is stock rotary pump, 110 hp if I remember correctly, nothing turned up.
  • scout4bta
    258 I6
    • Apr 26, 2018

Originally posted by Harrinad
    For those of you who did a diesel swap on a Grand Wagoneer did you use the original tank pickup or did you need to get a larger one to keep up with the fuel flow of a 4bt? The 4bt is stock rotary pump, 110 hp if I remember correctly, nothing turned up.
    I kept the same size pick up tube in my Scout (5/16) with a 4BT. I eventually had it producing 200 hp/400 ft lb tq with the factory 5/16 fuel line with out a problem.
    So yes you can use the factory pick, But I would advise you to remove any sock/filter at the end. The VE lift pump is a diaphragm, that type doesn't have very much strength sucking fuel. So any restriction from the sock/filter may be a problem.
    And I'm leaving the factory 5/16 fuel line in my GW when I swap the gas for a 4BT, P-pump.
    1989 GW/91.5 Dodge W250 CTD flatbed/ 06 Ford Crown Vic Police Intercepter/05 Jeep Liberty Diesel.

Comment

• Tigger4X
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Nov 16, 2001

Originally posted by scout4bta
      . . .
      And I'm leaving the factory 5/16 fuel line in my GW when I swap the gas for a 4BT, P-pump.
      With the P-pump Vs the VE you can eliminate the lift pump, fuel/water filter, and such by installing an AirDog unit. There are a few models to choose from that will give you not only better filtration and fuel delivery, but you can increase the pressure if/when you decide to add more HP to the engine.
      Originally posted by will e
      Keep in mind. Getting old is easy. Being old is hard.
      Post #14 ~ http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=1#post1580206

Comment

• scout4bta
        258 I6
        • Apr 26, 2018

Originally posted by Tigger4X
        With the P-pump Vs the VE you can eliminate the lift pump, fuel/water filter, and such by installing an AirDog unit. There are a few models to choose from that will give you not only better filtration and fuel delivery, but you can increase the pressure if/when you decide to add more HP to the engine.
        Those are very nice units but I prefer to keep my Diesel as mechanical, non electrical as possible.
        If I do decide to install a #10 fuel plate I'll use 3/8 fuel line.
        1989 GW/91.5 Dodge W250 CTD flatbed/ 06 Ford Crown Vic Police Intercepter/05 Jeep Liberty Diesel.

Comment

• Harrinad
          232 I6
          • Jan 22, 2019

Any tips or pictures on how to adapt the GW fuel pickup into the new tank?

Comment

• scout4bta
            258 I6
            • Apr 26, 2018

Originally posted by Harrinad
            Any tips or pictures on how to adapt the GW fuel pickup into the new tank?
            For setting the float I used a length of wire and tack welded on the old one.
            For the rheostat you'll have to take the factory one off and tack weld to the new tank tube.
            I've not seen a GW sending unit so I could be totally wrong on this fix.

The pic is from the Scout 19 gal tank to 37 gal tank. Same sending unit so I just lengthen the float arm

Comment

Working...
            X