• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SC/397
    Administrator
    • Feb 01, 2010

AMC engine article

Interesting, but a couple points could be argued..
    He mentions not having 4 bolt mains but he didn't mention that the AMC 2 bolt mains are massive with 1/2" bolts. Other small blocks use smaller mains and bolts.
    And it is easy to answer this question that he has: "Jeep never used the second-gen AMC V-8 and instead sourced a Buick-derived 350ci with a very flat torque curve for 1968 until 1971. We have not yet found a definite answer as to why." It is because AMC didn't own Jeep until 1970.

The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world
  • SOLSAKS
    304 AMC
    • Jul 25, 2016

thanx for the link

even though I am not much of a wrencher

I can appreciate the article

I like the 360.

I always said, when you see an old FSJ log lots of miles over several decades,....

"the 360 has got to be a good motor."

dave in NC
    SOLSAKS - dave
    1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
    1982 J-10 Fleetside
    1988 grand wagoneer
    2004 RUBICON jeep
    Benson, NC

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
      350 Buick
      • Aug 19, 2003

I read the article yesterday. It was good, but seemed incomplete.

Quite a few out there still for them to be terrible. Upgrades are expensive unless you keep an eye at swap meets and the classifieds.

I was curious about the red paint they sprayed on the heads, I assume to help oil flow back down.

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
        350 Buick
        • Jul 09, 2009

Originally posted by 78 WIDETRAC
        I read the article yesterday. It was good, but seemed incomplete.

Quite a few out there still for them to be terrible. Upgrades are expensive unless you keep an eye at swap meets and the classifieds.

I was curious about the red paint they sprayed on the heads, I assume to help oil flow back down.

The red paint is called "Glyptal Red".
        I actually used it on my 360, and 401. Yes! It is used to get oil back down into the pan. It is old technology, but not everything old is bad.

You can still buy it in lots of places, and I buy mine from Eastwood.com
        (Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
          350 Buick
          • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by asphaltrockdweller
          The red paint is called "Glyptal Red".
          I actually used it on my 360, and 401. Yes! It is used to get oil back down into the pan. It is old technology, but not everything old is bad.

You can still buy it in lots of places, and I buy mine from Eastwood.com

Thanks. It seems like I've seen it on builds before, I just didn't think about it. Seems like a cheap oiling mod.

Comment

• letank
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Jun 03, 2002

thank you for posting.... indeed very good references. About 20 years ago we bought (I paid $40 for it but passed it to a friend... ) a late 60's FSJ with a 390... and wondering what it was... the FSJ passed to someone in our group... it was moded, lifted, disk braked... and more... sold and resold... Almost bought it back... a piece of history is living in someone's driveway!
            Michel
            74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
            85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
              Administrator
              • Oct 31, 2016

Wish it had the end of the build.
              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
              (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
              (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
              (Cherokee Build Thread)
              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• mwood65
                258 I6
                • Jul 17, 2017

Nice!

I loved the pic of the one engine with the holes in the side of the oil pan.

Looks like something made a hasty retreat from the engine prior to the rebuild!

Comment

Working...
                X