• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Battle_Wagon_NJ
    327 Rambler
    • Jun 08, 2005

Seeking Winch Advice

There's a chance that I can get this Warn 8274 for free. What do you think? Is it too old, crusty, big, promises to be nothing but a pain, for me to bother with? I'd have to get a new bumper. I was told it was running when it was taken off. I'd get a new cable for it too. Your thoughts?

And a bonus question... I took a gallon of old gear oil to the county recylcing center on saturday. Guess what I found in the bottom of the bucket?

Two dead mice. That's such a horrible way to go, I almost feel bad for them. Almost.
    1986 Grand Wagoneer, HEI, 4" spring lift, 31" BFG tires, vintage warn winch, 100k mi (mint when I bought it in 2001, now - not so much!)
    The Jeep Grand Wagoneer - Someone you know used to drive one of these. Ask me about Mid-Atlantic Full Size Jeep Club events.
  • billyrb
    BJ's Off-Road
    • Aug 15, 2001

For the 8274, it's one of the better, more sought-after older winches around. I'd get it and spend some time taking it apart, repairing and reconditioning it and use it.

For the oil and mice, yeah, bad way to go. I found two frogs in one of my buckets a while back, felt the same.
    BJ's Off-Road
    [email protected]
    Your source for '63-'91 FSJ Parts

Comment

• red mistress
      304 AMC
      • Sep 13, 2007

My favorite winch of all times.

They usually go for 300 to 400 in that shape.

Cable looks pretty good in pictures, since it has 150' of cable, just unspool and flip ends.
      67 Gladiator 15K J3000 AMC 327, PTO, 35" BFG's
      69 Jeepster 8701 convertible
      80 Honcho Sportside
      82 CJ-8 75K org SR decals
      82 Cheroeke Laredo 24K
      83 CJ-8 50K 401, ARB60's, F&R Winch, 38"
      84 CJ-7 38K Garnet Int., Jeep 8274 winch
      84 CJ-8 mud Scrambler
      87 J 20 36K smooth alum camper & boat rack.

Comment

• jeepdreamer
        327 Rambler
        • Jan 27, 2008

whoopie! Opinions are like...?

Ok,
        I hate you! LOL. Ive been looking for one of those for a while. IMHO,and after having owned 3, Its the best winch made...PERIOD! That being said..i'll take it! HeeHee. Seriously, Its an awsome winch. Faster, more reliable (usually), lots more available cable than others out there. The other nice thing is every part on there is available from warn to rebuild it!!
        Now the not so great news for you... Its a real bear to get mounted on a FSJ. Also, with its upright stance it likes to rob your radiator of its cooling abilities! Esp. if your a v8/auto.
        If i were you (and i wish i was ) I would sell or trade it for a more common horizontal style winch of at least 9500lbs. If you sell it, Im making the first offer of 300 bones and ill pay shipping to El Paso.
        Hope this info helps,Cheers! Ted

Comment

• Headhoncho
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Oct 11, 2006

Originally posted by Battle_Wagon_NJ
          There's a chance that I can get this Warn 8274 for free. What do you think? Is it too old, crusty, big, promises to be nothing but a pain, for me to bother with? I'd have to get a new bumper. I was told it was running when it was taken off. I'd get a new cable for it too. Your thoughts?
          I would get it and worry about mounting it later. At least you'll have a winch. I'm sure a mount can be fabbed up somehow.

JR
          [quote] "How does someone from Iran have a BJ's Offroad sticker but I can't seem to get one sent to New Jersey???!!!"

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
          1966 mustang fastback
          '07 Dodge Charger 3.5

Comment

• Elliott
            Cowboy Up
            • Jun 22, 2002

It's pretty much garbage and you can tell that by the stickers still attached... hasn't even had a life and the guy is giving it away... probably with the bumper which is rusted and they wouldn't even take it at the scrap yard. Shipping to 76234 and I'll send you a Ramsey.
            *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
            ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• bushwood44
              350 Buick
              • Jan 22, 2008

If you need pics of how to mount it let me know and I didn't have any overheating problems at all when I could still drive mine.
              88 Grand Wagoneer
              99 Camaro z28
              73 Honda st 90
              79 F250

Comment

• jeepdreamer
                327 Rambler
                • Jan 27, 2008

haha

LOL Elliot,
                Your worse than me!!
                I guess the easy way would be a reciever mount?? Try and keep away from the grille/radiator as much as possible.

Comment

• TooRisky
                  258 I6
                  • Jan 24, 2009

Originally posted by jeepdreamer
                  Ok,
                  I hate you! LOL. Ive been looking for one of those for a while. IMHO,and after having owned 3, Its the best winch made...PERIOD! That being said..i'll take it! HeeHee. Seriously, Its an awsome winch. Faster, more reliable (usually), lots more available cable than others out there. The other nice thing is every part on there is available from warn to rebuild it!!
                  Now the not so great news for you... Its a real bear to get mounted on a FSJ. Also, with its upright stance it likes to rob your radiator of its cooling abilities! Esp. if your a v8/auto.
                  If i were you (and i wish i was ) I would sell or trade it for a more common horizontal style winch of at least 9500lbs. If you sell it, Im making the first offer of 300 bones and ill pay shipping to El Paso.
                  Hope this info helps,Cheers! Ted
                  I totaly agree with above quote...The reason being is you should be buying a winch rated at least twice the weight of your rig and that would put you in at about a 12,000lb winch...now some will disagree, me here in the NW (Washington) know that when you stick a FSJ, it is really stuck and there is not many around with the weight or beefy winch to help much, you are basically on your own...Remeber when you get stuck, the force to remove you is your wieght plus the unknown factor of your situation, believe me, you will not regret it.

Also you have a great winch, you can use it on the rear end, a trailer, as a shop type crane for all heavy lifting, it is a very good winch, just not for a big ol FSJ.

This is my humble opinion

Steve...
                  1977 Jeep Cherokee Wagoneer, 401CID, th400, D44's, 37"MTR, 7"lift, locked F/R, York OBA,12K Warn, Lotta Love
                  2002 Chrystler Sebring LX DD

Comment

• bushwood44
                    350 Buick
                    • Jan 22, 2008

I think it will out pull a 9500lb winch and do it faster.
                    88 Grand Wagoneer
                    99 Camaro z28
                    73 Honda st 90
                    79 F250

Comment

• fireman91186
                      350 Buick
                      • Aug 26, 2008

If its free take it and worry about the details after you get it home.

I f you decide its not enough winch for you then trade it or sale and buy a newer and bigger winch. But for free you can always get a snatch block and go that route. That's what I did because I already had the 8274 on a previous truck that now doesn't run. As far as mounting it it was a bear but I ended up building a bumper for it.
                      79 cherokee W/T 360 T-18 trans dana 20 transfercase with custom 1.5 spring hangers in front 4" springs in rear 33" swampers
                      78 cherokee chief W/T stock running but barely.
                      2002 stock chevy 4x4 1500 hd

Comment

• bigun
                        • Feb 10, 2003

I'll have to search my emails, when I bought one last year the guy sent me all the web sites he had found for the 8274. There is a good tech article on pirate on them. There is a company who makes a dual motor mount for them, and one who makes a more powerful motor. I was able to pick up 2 last year for cheap. I am thinking about mounting one in the back of Crom running the cable to a snatch block in the back then through pipe to the front. Then if you need to pull to the front you just pull it out. If you need to go to the back you make sure the front hook is secure disengage the snatch block and pull it out to what you want to pull. You think about it you are effectively doubling the pulling power of the winch in both directions, with no worries about blocking your radiator
                        charlie
                        KB0HXA
                        "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
                        congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
                        How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
                        Robert A. Heinlein
                        The birth of CROM is recorded here
                        http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• Dirtball
                          304 AMC
                          • Apr 10, 2006

Bottom line, especially if it's free: you'd be a fool not to get it. Most of us would consider giving up a nut to get an 8274 for free. Now quit questioning it and go get the thing before someone else does.
                          Paul
                          1979 Cherokee N/T
                          360/TH400/Qtrac/D44s/rear Lock-right
                          6 inch Hell Creek all spring lift
                          34x10.50 Super Swamper LTBs
                          http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t/100_1394.jpg
                          http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t/100_1390.jpg
                          http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...100_1387-2.jpg

Comment

• red mistress
                            304 AMC
                            • Sep 13, 2007

more powerful motor

Originally posted by bigun
                            I'll have to search my emails, when I bought one last year the guy sent me all the web sites he had found for the 8274. There is a good tech article on pirate on them. There is a company who makes a dual motor mount for them, and one who makes a more powerful motor. I was able to pick up 2 last year for cheap. I am thinking about mounting one in the back of Crom running the cable to a snatch block in the back then through pipe to the front. Then if you need to pull to the front you just pull it out. If you need to go to the back you make sure the front hook is secure disengage the snatch block and pull it out to what you want to pull. You think about it you are effectively doubling the pulling power of the winch in both directions, with no worries about blocking your radiator
                            I think the 8274 pulls way more than rated...the cable is winch's rating.

But a more powerful motor is always a good idea.

Got the links of where U buy the motor?
                            67 Gladiator 15K J3000 AMC 327, PTO, 35" BFG's
                            69 Jeepster 8701 convertible
                            80 Honcho Sportside
                            82 CJ-8 75K org SR decals
                            82 Cheroeke Laredo 24K
                            83 CJ-8 50K 401, ARB60's, F&R Winch, 38"
                            84 CJ-7 38K Garnet Int., Jeep 8274 winch
                            84 CJ-8 mud Scrambler
                            87 J 20 36K smooth alum camper & boat rack.

Comment

• JeepinPete
                              304 AMC
                              • Dec 09, 2003

Next thing you know Ann, you'll be choppin out the fenders and running JR's 38's
                              Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
                              Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
                              Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

Comment

Working...
                              X