• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Darwin1876
    232 I6
    • Jan 16, 2015

Quadratrac rebuild what do I need.

I have a 1978 J10 the quadratrac has 249,000 miles on it. I have had it the last 24 years and approx. 149,000 of those miles are mine. I have never done anything to the quadratrac except the occasional fluid change.
    I noticed towing the camper (large tent trailer/ pop up) this past summer and fall that I'm losing a bit of power through the drivetrain. I have a rebuild kit for the turbo400 and will be installing a transgo shift kit as well.
    As far as the quadratrac goes I have a new morse chain I've been holding for years and fresh fluid and seal kit to install. I've never been inside of these transfercase a before having never rebuilt one. I know there are cones inside but not real sure how everything functions. Any idea what I need to look at when I do this or need to pick up and just plan on changing?
    78 J10
    88 Grand Wagoneer
    89 Grand Wagoneer
    72 J4000
    64 J200 (parts truck)
  • wiley-moeracing
    350 Buick
    • Feb 15, 2010

check into a bearing kit for it also while you are in there, ebay has them.

Comment

• mattparliament
      327 Rambler
      • May 13, 2004

I have 4 of them as "spares" that I plan on putting one together that is rebuilt and keeping it. I am certain I could help out with some parts if you know what you'd like to have. I think one of them has either a part time kit in it or the overdrive kit.... also check out oljeep.com lots of good diagrams and info on his site.
      Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
      1976 Cherokee 401 Quadratrac
      4" Rusty's Spring lift 31" tires
      All MSD ignition system
      EZ EFI status: Running Smooth!
      1999 Dakota Seats
      2000Tahoe Console
      Powertrax No-slip lunchbox rear locker
      Amp meter delete
      Two Wire 94Amp Alternator upgrade

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

oljeep.com has manuals if you need one?
        great deal of info, diagrams, rebuild procedures in there.

With that kind of mileage nobody can tell you what you'll find in there.
        Might be fine, might need some things.

Flint also has a good QT site http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac/index.htm
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Darwin1876
          232 I6
          • Jan 16, 2015

Thanks for the input I will look at the oljeep site. And look into some bearings. I have a second quadratrac as well. Wasn't sure what the purpose of the cones were. If their purpose is to hold the front and rear together I'm wondering if this is where I'm losing the power.
          78 J10
          88 Grand Wagoneer
          89 Grand Wagoneer
          72 J4000
          64 J200 (parts truck)

Comment

Working...
          X