• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GrCherokeeL
    232 I6
    • Aug 08, 2011

1985 J20 Project Restore/Build

Hello,

I planned on making a thread about my Full Size Jeep project. I have now done enough work to start one. I will be updating this every time I work on the J-truck.

It all started when I signed up for the automotive courses at my local college. All the guys drove in with Chevy trucks, and I parked in the middle of them with my Grand Cherokee.

There wasn't a day that went by when someone would call my little WJ a fake Jeep, they told me a real Jeep was a FSJ. Well, lets just say I got tired of seeing all the Chevy's, there needed to be a Jeep truck in the parking lot.

I began my search on ebay, just to take a look at what was available. Then a friend of mine told me he knew someone who has been trying to sell his J-truck for a while now and wanted $500 for the whole thing.

I drove about an hour and a half to take a look at the truck up close, and there was way too much rust. I was told it was all surface rust, and I knew then my hands would be full with this project.

There was nothing left on this J10 that said Jeep. It had been replaced with everything Chevy. The guy wouldn't budge on his price, and he was taking the engine and radio.

If I had bought this truck, I would've taken every single part he put into it, out, and make it stock all over again. Instead of leaving it as a manual, I'd turn it into a automatic.

Well, lets just say I didn't think the truck was worth $500 as it sat. So I waited, looking on here through the classifieds and then one day...I saw an ad I couldn't pass up on.

Have you heard the saying "Good things will come to those who wait?"

That's exactly what happened, I saw an ad for a J-truck...the perfect J-truck for a restoration that fit exactly what I wanted.

A week after that, I drove to Wisconsin to pick up my Jeep truck. Got up at 5am Sunday morning, waited for my two friends with the truck that was going to haul my new baby back home, to show up. We didn't leave till 11am, and got home at 3am.

It rained most of the time, and we hauled everything back except the hood, doors and cab. We couldn't figure out how to put the cab on the trailer since the whole truck took up the entire trailer.

A week later, on Sunday again. I went back for the rest of the truck and picked it up. It was sunny on the way up there, but raining once more on the way back.

This is my first time having to actually see and have a FSJ up close to where I can understand it more clearly. I told my uncle and I told my friends "Hey, this isn't some little Jeep like my Grand Cherokee...this is a Full Size Jeep pick up truck, and it's not going to be light"

Lets just say for the first trip, my good friends HD Chevy truck took a small hit and was down for a few days. He told me the cause wasn't my Jeep that did it, I still felt pretty bad though.

My uncle's truck took the real hit, and he was just towing the cab, doors and hood. Most of the trip went well...but about 35 minutes from our destination...the Chevy was finished.

I figured out the cause pretty easily, the whole trip coolant was leaking on my side of the truck. There was no transmission cooler, and the truck got so hot it melted the temp. sending unit.

I didn't get home that night until 12am. After both trips, early monday morning, whether I had 5 hours of sleep or 2 I drove all the way to my college parked beside my J20 and kept watch.

I was extremely nervous the whole time, you just don't see a FSJ where I live any more. I was scared someone would see something they liked and take off with a part.

The whole J-truck was finally all in the location I wanted it to be in, my project began soon afterwords.

I would like to thank Ryan (KujoC) for giving me the perfect restoration project. There hasn't been a day where I've lost motivation yet.
    Current Jeeps:

2008 Jeep Patriot

Past Jeeps:

1985 J20 pickup
    1986 J10 pickup
    1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition
  • GrCherokeeL
    232 I6
    • Aug 08, 2011

The first day of the J20 at the college, sitting in the cage so no one messes with it.

(This was before I picked up the cab)

One of my favorite parts of the whole truck. Just because it says Jeep

Not factory rims, but they're still nice

Lots and lots of parts in the back of the Grand Cherokee

Last edited by GrCherokeeL; 10-06-2011, 11:32 AM.
    Current Jeeps:

2008 Jeep Patriot

Past Jeeps:

1985 J20 pickup
    1986 J10 pickup
    1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• GrCherokeeL
      232 I6
      • Aug 08, 2011

Some pictures the previous owner took

Current Jeeps:

2008 Jeep Patriot

Past Jeeps:

1985 J20 pickup
      1986 J10 pickup
      1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• GrCherokeeL
        232 I6
        • Aug 08, 2011

Here's a little information both myself and Ryan found out about the J20.

VIN - 1JTNE27Y0FT128596

1=MANUFACTURED IN USA
        J= JEEP CORPORATION
        T=TRUCK
        N=5.9 LITER (360CUIN) GASOLINE AMC
        E=AUTO COLUMN SHIFT, PART TIME TRANSFER CASE
        27=J-20 TRUCK
        Y=8400 GVWR
        0=CHECK DIGIT (NOT SURE WHAT THAT MEANS)
        F=MODEL YEAR 1985
        T=TOLEDO, OHIO MANUFACTURING PLANT
        128596 = SERIAL NUMBER

I went to a Jeep dealership, and asked for a Vehicle Information Report so I could know every single thing that came with the truck brand new. I got a few pages...

My J20 was born March 21st, 1985

A friend of mine and myself first started out with putting the cab back on the frame and working on the engine, taking off stuff that was unnecessary and was just weight. Can't really say at this moment what they were, I'll make a list on Monday and post it here.

Last Wednesday I took a wire wheel to the spark plugs and cleaned them, put them back in the engine, my friend worked on welding stuff closed.

The next time I was at the college I did an oil change on the J20, later that day we were able to fire up the engine. First time ever hearing a 360 engine, sounded pretty good. Still some work that needs to be done to it though.

Current Jeeps:

2008 Jeep Patriot

Past Jeeps:

1985 J20 pickup
        1986 J10 pickup
        1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• ygbsm
          232 I6
          • Aug 30, 2010

[quote=GrCherokeeL]

I went to a Jeep dealership, and asked for a Vehicle Information Report so I could know every single thing that came with the truck brand new. I got a few pages...

[\quote]

Cool- please let me know if you had to ask for anything more specific than a Vehicle Information Report because I'm going to try this at my local dealer.

Did you find out any other information besides the birth date?

Thanks
          1983 Cherokee Laredo- last of the finest!
          1986 Grand Wagoneer- gone but not forgotten

Comment

• GrCherokeeL
            232 I6
            • Aug 08, 2011

I didn't get much done this week sadly, just bought brake lines and hockey pucks and some bolts. Oh! And some sheet metal (?) for fixing the mounts on the frame.

So far I'm about $550 into this project.

Having a difficult decision whether or not to get the frame sand blasted now, or wait until next year at the other college I'm transferring to (I'm going for auto body collision repair&refinish).

My main focus right now is to get the truck running, worry about the looks of it afterwords.

I know about an hour away from where I live, I saw a J-truck sitting with no hood next to other vehicles on someones property.

About 1.5 hours away from me also is the truck I mentioned about in my first post. Buying a few parts off that truck, such as:

-The piece that goes around the jeep grille, it says Jeep on the top of it.
            -Passenger side mirror
            -Grille guard
            -Roll bar

One of the guys in my class gave me a number to a guy who is less then 10 minutes away from the college that has 3 J-trucks and told me that if I needed a part, to give him a call.

Besides that, here's a couple of pictures I took this Monday of my two Jeeps.

Current Jeeps:

2008 Jeep Patriot

Past Jeeps:

1985 J20 pickup
            1986 J10 pickup
            1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• GrCherokeeL
              232 I6
              • Aug 08, 2011

[quote=ygbsm]
              Originally posted by GrCherokeeL

[\quote]

Cool- please let me know if you had to ask for anything more specific than a Vehicle Information Report because I'm going to try this at my local dealer.

Did you find out any other information besides the birth date?

Thanks
              My local dealership sees me all the time, they try to get me to buy a new vehicle from them, but it's not going to happen now because I just picked up the J20 haha. I don't know the guy in the parts department to well, but he was always nice and just gave me loads of information on both my J-truck and on the WJ. All I did was give him the VIN number and asked if I could have the information on my Jeep, they printed out 3-4 pages of info.

Here's everything I got from the dealership, I honestly don't know if it's all true because this is my first FSJ and I don't know as much about them as I do for the 90-present Jeeps.

Family- NT
              Engine- EUA Engine-5.9L V8 MPI
              Transmission- DGF- HD A904 Auto Trans
              Market- U.S
              Body Model- LL62
              Build Date- Thursday Mar. 21 1985
              Trim- *ZZ-Trim style ZZ- Plastic Bucket Seat
              Trim Color- ZZ

Description

-Light Package
              -Cold Weather Group
              -Indy 500 Special Edition Group
              -Heavy Duty Insul Package
              -Visibility Group
              -75 Amp alternator
              -Battery 750 Amp maintenance free
              -Head restraints-outboard seating, RR
              -Carpets- class 1 short pile 8- 12 oz
              -Accessory floor mat front and rear
              -Axle- Vari-lok progressive, front
              -All windows- tinted glass
              -Dual- O/S MIRR PKG-Low mount-Chrome
              -Air conditioning-front
              -Heater w/upr level ventil- type 2
              -Windshield wipers-deluxe
              -Cigar lighter-front comp
              -Courtesy lamps (below panel)
              -Halogen headlamps
              -Exterior cargo light
              -Bumper- front, back
              -FRT license plate attach required
              -Bright grille- type 1
              -ESA W/catalyst (EXC calif system)
              -Trans oil cooler
              -Engine block heater
              -Auto speed control
              -Engine cooling-Standard duty
              -Am/FM radio
              -Power steering
              -Leather STRG wheel-Euro/sport type
              -Heavy duty shocks front and rear
              -Sway bar-front
              -Heavy duty front spring option
              -2300# FRT spring
              -Tilt steering column
              -All boxes
              -Payload rating-1950#

And that's all I got. My truck only had a little over a page, my Grand Cherokee had 3-5 pages...
              Current Jeeps:

2008 Jeep Patriot

Past Jeeps:

1985 J20 pickup
              1986 J10 pickup
              1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• ygbsm
                232 I6
                • Aug 30, 2010

Awesome thanks!
                1983 Cherokee Laredo- last of the finest!
                1986 Grand Wagoneer- gone but not forgotten

Comment

• austinaubinoe
                  360 AMC
                  • Aug 08, 2010

What school are you transferring to for Auto Body? You should check out Penn Tech in Williamsport, PA. Im going there for welding, but their auto body program is amazing.

And plus my Wagoneer is lonely being the only FSJ on campus

OH and WJ's are definitely real Jeeps... they have a solid front axle!
                  Just lifted my sisters 2004 limited with the 4.7L V8.
                  Last edited by austinaubinoe; 10-06-2011, 01:31 PM.
                  Austin

1991 Hunter Green Grand Wagoneer
                  5.9 2bbl-727-NP229-TFI-30x9.5 Firestone M/T's-Brush Guard-tire mount
                  SOON: 4350 and cast iron intake

Others:
                  -1994 Baby Grand
                  -2000 XJ cherokee on Tons
                  -1953 REO M35A2 6x6
                  -1955 Willys Pickup

Originally posted by rustywagoneers_com
                  i am not an addict, i can stop anytime.
                  i dont have a problem, you people have the problem.

Comment

• GrCherokeeL
                    232 I6
                    • Aug 08, 2011

I was thinking on transferring over to Northwest Wisconsin Technical College, mostly because its right around in a city I'm familiar with and I know my way around there.

I know I won't be jumping into the auto body part of it until next year, but I had to get myself a project Jeep and see if I could handle the basic automotive first. So far, so good.

I'm debating whether or not to take a welding class next semester so I can replace parts where the cancer built up on the Jeep.

I know exactly how you feel though, I think my J20 is the only one on campus. I've seen a CJ or two, but otherwise?

This truck was pushed out on to the grass yesterday to get some fresh air and be out of the shop for a few hours, every Jeep that passed by didn't know what the heck it was.

I've had a lot of people ask me when I'm going to scrap the Jeep, I told them I never would. I had a Jeep guy come up and ask if I was going to make it show room perfect and only drive it on sunny days, I told him...

"Nope, this is my 2nd daily driver, work truck (since it's a 3/4 ton) and my off-road Jeep. I'm using it for what it was made for, there's no way I'm letting it sit in a garage 364 days of the year. I'm bringing it to the parade, the car show, and possibly even a small mud course."

Beautiful Wagoneer you've got

Yeah, I kept telling everyone in my auto class that my little WJ is a real Jeep. They say it isn't, but it's got 196k on it and still gets me where I need to go. I've been wanting to lift mine, because my two Jeep friends that I've got both have lifted XJ's and they go off-roading all the time. But I wasn't sure if I wanted to kill the gas mileage on that one haha, so I got the J20 and hope it can keep up with the newer Jeeps.
                    Last edited by GrCherokeeL; 10-06-2011, 01:50 PM.
                    Current Jeeps:

2008 Jeep Patriot

Past Jeeps:

1985 J20 pickup
                    1986 J10 pickup
                    1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• mrtazwrench
                      AMC 4 OH! 1
                      • Nov 10, 2001

Good to se it found a good home, I was trying to bring it farther south instead of north, I'm about done with my 87 and looking for another maybe. Here's the build pics of my 87, I've disected a bunch of these, and put more than one together so if you have any questions I may be able to help.

Chad
                      "Let's see that Red Blue Green **** sucker build one of these without duct taping it together!"
                      https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=76427b95fd
                      88Wag
                      87J20 Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
                      83Cherokee WT
                      82J20
                      Parts vehicles: 1.5 Wags, 3.5 J20's, 1 J10 1 J300

Comment

• BotterbrodtGE
                        258 I6
                        • Nov 30, 2010

Not factory rims, but they're still nice

those are wheels off of a 05 or so body Chevy 2500. Love them wheels, really wanted to make them fit mine since my dad upgraded his wheels to the silver h2 wheels for the bigger tires, so they're just sitting around, looking good,
                        1990 Stock for now Grand Wagoneer

U-993

Hey there Yohoo, fix yourself!!

My jeep
                        http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...highlight=1990

Comment

• Jeep Sarge
                          232 I6
                          • Feb 04, 2009

Love Those Wheels on there!

Comment

• GrCherokeeL
                            232 I6
                            • Aug 08, 2011

Originally posted by mrtazwrench
                            Good to se it found a good home, I was trying to bring it farther south instead of north, I'm about done with my 87 and looking for another maybe. Here's the build pics of my 87, I've disected a bunch of these, and put more than one together so if you have any questions I may be able to help.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...27b95fd&type=1
                            Sorry for taking the truck you wanted, it was too good of an offer to pass up.

Great looking J-truck! Awesome pictures

Originally posted by BotterbrodtGE
                            those are wheels off of a 05 or so body Chevy 2500. Love them wheels, really wanted to make them fit mine since my dad upgraded his wheels to the silver h2 wheels for the bigger tires, so they're just sitting around, looking good,

I honestly didn't know what kind of wheels were on these until one of my friends said something about them. And then the guys in my auto class who had Chevy's were looking at them too.

It took me a little bit to figure it out, and I saw a paper bag with the caps in them that showed the Chevy emblem so..

I don't know how they fit, but they do and I'm happy. On Wednesday one of the guys in my class wanted the lug nuts and wanted to trade me his smaller ones.

I told him, nope!

Cause the first day I met him he did nothing but tell me how bad Jeeps were. Also, this is the shiniest part on the whole Jeep so, I'm keeping them!

Originally posted by Jeep Sarge
                            Love Those Wheels on there!
                            Thank you! I went to my local Tire shop and asked how much a set of tires would cost...the price was $851.45 for the tires, having them installed, everything.

I was thinking of putting Mastercraft Courser A/T2 tires on because I love them on my Grand Cherokee and had lots of fun playing in the mud with 2wd and not getting stuck.

Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx was an idea too.
                            Current Jeeps:

2008 Jeep Patriot

Past Jeeps:

1985 J20 pickup
                            1986 J10 pickup
                            1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• lunchbox1671
                              350 Buick
                              • Sep 22, 2010

I told him, nope!
                              Cause the first day I met him he did nothing but tell me how bad Jeeps were.
                              All future verbal outbursts from said classmate are now null and void.

1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief Sport 4 door N/T.
                              -AMC 360 with RV cam
                              -T-15A, Dana 20
                              -Dana 44's, 3.54's,
                              -32x11.50r16's

Comment

Working...
                              X